What does a $98 HD-DVD player look like?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The yetti has watched his first HD DVD on his 30" Samsung HD monitor and was very impressed with it, as was I.:D The movie was "V for Vendetta".

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I had no problems updating the firmware, I just used a Memorex CD-RW and it worked great. It didn't take as long as the instructions said it would either, it only took like 5 mins.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
The yetti has watched his first HD DVD on his 30" Samsung HD monitor and was very impressed with it, as was I.:D The movie was "V for Vendetta".
Even the great =L was impressed :D
I will say it was VERY sharp. Other words cannot describe it as I do not have a larger tv.. but that's ok for DVD's :D

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I should also note that the remote glows somewhat in the dark.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Just got mine hooked up.
I don't feel that the fan is execptionally noisy.
Is it just the sound of a fan or more of a grinding noise?
My only disappointment so far is the lack of a digital coax connection. I just hate optical. Too much of a pain to blindly insert to the back of anything.

Also, has any one else had problems installing the firmware update?
The disc seemed to burn just fine, but when i insert it into the player I get the message "this is not a DVD and will not play".

I'm thinking the player is particular about the brand of CD-R I'm using.:confused:
I got the same error when I tried burning a firmware disc. Also, I don't see where I can check what version of firmware I have. The instructions on the Toshiba website don't seem to be right, unless I'm just retarded and don't see it.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Also, I don't see where I can check what version of firmware I have. The instructions on the Toshiba website don't seem to be right, unless I'm just retarded and don't see it.
It is very simple.
Just go into the menu (press setup button), then go to maintenance, then go to update.
You will now see your version #

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
I got the same error when I tried burning a firmware disc.
It MUST be burnt as a IMAGE file, as well some media works better than others.
I had TDK media that would not work, so I used my Ritek CD-R and it worked fine.

I can send you a working update CD, just PM me.
Or wait for Toshiba to send it out in 3 to 4 weeks.

T

Twism

Enthusiast
the toshiba is great for the price. i picked mine up for $150 thou :) guess i payed to much

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Just be glad there were no reflective surfaces in the pictures :eek:
Ahahaha... there is another pair of pants. Don't true audioholics wear 2 pairs of pants to act as acoustical absorption denim??? You guys are sick :rolleyes: :D

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
It's been a little while, but I wanted to post a small update.
I recently acquired an LG L246WP-BN monitor for my computer, and it so happens to have HDMI and Component input.

I "stole" a HDMI cable from downstairs and hooked up my monitor to the HD-DVD player... and let's just say 1080i looks great on it! :D :D

Upconversion of DVD's is greatly improved using the HDMI connection.... considering it'll go 1080i instead of my tv's 480i limit (due to component from the HD-A2).

Seth was there.... he liked it :D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
It's been a little while, but I wanted to post a small update.
I recently acquired an LG L246WP-BN monitor for my computer, and it so happens to have HDMI and Component input.

I "stole" a HDMI cable from downstairs and hooked up my monitor to the HD-DVD player... and let's just say 1080i looks great on it! :D :D

Upconversion of DVD's is greatly improved using the HDMI connection.... considering it'll go 1080i instead of my tv's 480i limit (due to component from the HD-A2).

Seth was there.... he liked it :D
You've had this machine for 115 days and you're just now connecting it via HDMI yettitheman? And the pq just gets sweeter and sweeter. A well spent $99.00. :)

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
You've had this machine for 115 days and you're just now connecting it via HDMI yettitheman? And the pq just gets sweeter and sweeter. A well spent $99.00. :)
Yeah, this 24" LCD set me back $350 (was a demo model and people owed me some money :D :D)

I want to get the Samsung out of my room now... but it still has a few things going for it. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis