What do you think of 8k TVs so far?

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I like them. Will I spend thousands now for one? No.

I’ve seen various 8k TVs from Samsung and LG and I like them but I wasn’t as impressed or awed when I saw the first 4K TVs being used to 1080 and 720p.

Plus not a lot of content yet for 8k. Even a lot of YouTube videos I like are still in 1080p and are very recent.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
For home use, there's no real advantage for 8K unless the screen is over 100 inches wide or so. The 4K format is amply adequate.

Unless you have a very large room, the 8K format, just like the 3D screen format, will fade away very soon.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't even justify 4k ....I seriously doubt I'd ever consider an 8k.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think we are gonna have a choice in the future. Everything 55 inches and up is going up be 8K just like what happened with 4k. No choice, they switched to 4k and you can't get a 1080p TV.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I don't think we are gonna have a choice in the future. Everything 55 inches and up is going up be 8K just like what happened with 4k. No choice, they switched to 4k and you can't get a 1080p TV.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I kind of agree with this. But it will take a LONG time imo. Unless there is some rapid technological growth in displays and cameras, which I don’t think there will be.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I like them. Will I spend thousands now for one? No.

I’ve seen various 8k TVs from Samsung and LG and I like them but I wasn’t as impressed or awed when I saw the first 4K TVs being used to 1080 and 720p.

Plus not a lot of content yet for 8k. Even a lot of YouTube videos I like are still in 1080p and are very recent.
I'm sorry...

What in the world have you seen that is 8K?

To me, 8K is just the next step of marketing BS hype from the TV juggernaut. It's completely pointless as people can't even see 4K resolution from their seated position at traditional TV sizes. The biggest advantage for 4K comes from HDR, which most content isn't delivered in already. Dolby Vision (12-bit) is basically non-existent and so we are still living with 10-bit color instead of 12-bit, missing out on millions of gradations.

More resolution instead of better color and contrast? Screw that. Give me a 85" OLED at a humane price point.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it's a waste of research and development.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I'm sorry...

What in the world have you seen that is 8K?

To me, 8K is just the next step of marketing BS hype from the TV juggernaut. It's completely pointless as people can't even see 4K resolution from their seated position at traditional TV sizes. The biggest advantage for 4K comes from HDR, which most content isn't delivered in already. Dolby Vision (12-bit) is basically non-existent and so we are still living with 10-bit color instead of 12-bit, missing out on millions of gradations.

More resolution instead of better color and contrast? Screw that. Give me a 85" OLED at a humane price point.
2 words: Best Buy.. I have seen 4K and 8k next to each other and I can see the difference. Like I said earlier, I wasn’t as impressed and awed seeing the jump from 1080p to 4K, but I still noticed the difference.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
2 words: Best Buy.. I have seen 4K and 8k next to each other and I can see the difference. Like I said earlier, I wasn’t as impressed and awed seeing the jump from 1080p to 4K, but I still noticed the difference.
There are so many reasons you might have seen a difference. I don't think the ability to see a pixel smaller than the human eye can detect is one of them

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't put much into a comparison at BB unless you get it out of demo modes, just to start....plus the distance you're at in a BB is likely not very much.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How close were you to them?

Edit: I also wonder what kind of special content they show on them...

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
As I have said before, I don't think 8K is useful in a typical TV, however, it would be useful in a VR headset display. You will need a hell of a computer system to render two 8k screens, but there should be a visual difference between 8k and 4k when it covers your entire field of vision.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I can't see 8K being important in anything smaller than 85" or more.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I can't see 8K being important in anything smaller than 85" or more.
It isn't about TV size, it is about TV size AND viewing distance. This is critical because sitting 6' away from a 42" TV is just like sitting 12' away from a 85" TV. Either way, you are generally too far away to notice pixel densities much beyond 1080p, and your biggest jump from 4K is not the resolution, but the expanded color space.

I sit 15' away from a 161" projection setup, and the jump from 1080p to 4K content was minimal. The jump in the quality of my projector was significant.

I would never upgrade my 85" LCD, unless it was for a similarly sized, and similarly bright, OLED (or similar).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, the 8k sets are going to be the highest end units so the resolution will not be the reason it looks better. There are too many factors at play. Especially if the two displays weren't in a light controlled room, calibrated, and showing identical content. If that wasn't the scenario, then you don't have enough information.

Not only that, but there isn't any 8k content so something with that resolution would just be upscaling all content anyway. Plus, the HDMI standards change so much that a current 8k TV could end up being like the poor morons that bought the first gen 4k sets that only had HDMI 1.4. Sure, it's supports the 4k resolution, but it doesn't support HDR, 60hz+ refresh, etc. So, yes, it's a 4k TV, but not to today's standards.

8k will most likely have the same issues. Early adopters are beta testers that have to pay. No thanks.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Well, the 8k sets are going to be the highest end units so the resolution will not be the reason it looks better. There are too many factors at play. Especially if the two displays weren't in a light controlled room, calibrated, and showing identical content. If that wasn't the scenario, then you don't have enough information.

Not only that, but there isn't any 8k content so something with that resolution would just be upscaling all content anyway. Plus, the HDMI standards change so much that a current 8k TV could end up being like the poor morons that bought the first gen 4k sets that only had HDMI 1.4. Sure, it's supports the 4k resolution, but it doesn't support HDR, 60hz+ refresh, etc. So, yes, it's a 4k TV, but not to today's standards.

8k will most likely have the same issues. Early adopters are beta testers that have to pay. No thanks.
Yeah I impulsively got a non hdr 4k tv, I’d say the same thing for 8k resolution is irrelevant it’s more about picture quality.

That 4k tv is in the basement collecting dust in the box for now til I decide if I’m going to use it anywhere or not .. looks great for streaming but Blu-ray’s and films ehhh plasma destroys it …

When a $50 used tv beats a new $1000 4k model for movies that’s an Issue ..
despite not being hdr it looked best for video games and streaming.

There won’t be any 8k content long enough to wait for the price to drop a ton … wait til it’s mainstream.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I think PC and console gaming will drive the popularity of 8K in the next few years. Without proper movie content there's little return on investment. The fact that we still get 4K UHD Blu-Ray releases that are not completely remastered or still just 2K upscales is enough to ignore it for a while. There are still batches of movies being released only on 1080p coasters still with no 4K version in sight. We are way out of sync with content vs technology.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I think PC and console gaming will drive the popularity of 8K in the next few years. Without proper movie content there's little return on investment. The fact that we still get 4K UHD Blu-Ray releases that are not completely remastered or still just 2K upscales is enough to ignore it for a while. There are still batches of movies being released only on 1080p coasters still with no 4K version in sight. We are way out of sync with content vs technology.
Yeah what’s the point of 4k if there’s no content available cheap enough?? Or poor remastered films and fake 4k films that were modified yes..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis