What Do You Think About Windows 11 to Replace Windows 10 Operating System?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Windows 11 could have been installed as a Windows 10 patch. Seems more like the marketing department felt it was time for new version number. The benefit will mostly be for corporations that use motherboards that support trusted platform modules. Windows 11 will have better security at the hardware level. This is much needed as ransomware attacks and trojans have been on the rise affecting governments, corporations and critical infrastructure. This is why older hardware will not support the new OS. Hopefully MS will continue to offer security patches for Windows 10 for some time to come as there will be many businesses and consumers who simply won't be able to make the switch.

While there are some nice Linux distros that work fine on any hardware, it still does not have as broad a support of software as Windows. They also need to automate the patching and software installation process. Linux will never gain ground on Windows so long as users need to resort to cryptic command line commands. Every time I need to work on my Pi I have to go on-line and look up the sudo commands.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Windows 11 could have been installed as a Windows 10 patch. Seems more like the marketing department felt it was time for new version number. The benefit will mostly be for corporations that use motherboards that support trusted platform modules. Windows 11 will have better security at the hardware level. This is much needed as ransomware attacks and trojans have been on the rise affecting governments, corporations and critical infrastructure. This is why older hardware will not support the new OS. Hopefully MS will continue to offer security patches for Windows 10 for some time to come as there will be many businesses and consumers who simply won't be able to make the switch.

While there are some nice Linux distros that work fine on any hardware, it still does not have as broad a support of software as Windows. They also need to automate the patching and software installation process. Linux will never gain ground on Windows so long as users need to resort to cryptic command line commands. Every time I need to work on my Pi I have to go on-line and look up the sudo commands.
Win11 upgrade will be available through the Windows 10 update mechanism on supported systems*.
The key here is supported systems, and that list is much shorter than most people would expect. Windows 11 carries new strict hardware requirements such as CPU generation (Intel 8th gen or newer and AMD Ryzen 3 or newer) and other system security features, mainly TPM 2.0.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

It's probably just because Apple released macOS 11. They're weird about that number game with each other. Or, MS is anyway.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's probably just because Apple released macOS 11. They're weird about that number game with each other. Or, MS is anyway.
There was never an iphone 9 nor Windows 9, come to think of it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There was never an iphone 9 nor Windows 9, come to think of it.
this could be one of the reasons:

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
this could be one of the reasons:
Like the number 4 in China:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Akhtually, both 4 and 9 are considered unlucky for similar reasons in Japan.
Also 13 is excluded as the total of the two digits equals 4, or is it because of the North American superstition? Number 14 is also out. So there's probably no floor 22, no 24, no 31, no 34. I wonder if they skip from floor no. 39 to 50 to exclude the 4 digit.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't seen anything "new" on that front just yet. I bet it'll take most companies at LEAST a year to adopt assuming there are no major "vista" issues. As you know, MS has a BAD track record of an OS update being good when the previous version was good. And windows 10 is good. I have had very few issues. Same with 7, XP, 2k, 98, etc. The in-between versions, not so much good luck.

Let's hope 11 can break the cycle.
Agreed. I have an older desktop running win 10 with a first gen Intel core I5. Won't run 11 but 10 is fine. My laptop is a 9th gen I5 and it will run 11. I will monitor reviews and then may or may not pull the trigger. Thanks man.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
It is what it is. Heck the last OS for apple caused me some grief and the last Firefox update really caused me some grief that I'm stsill trying to figure out. .

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
At this point there is no technical reason why they shouldn't go with USB-C. Its the only port the macs have.
Then you should be happy to see that Apple is getting poked in the eye with a sharp stick.
EU rules to force USB-C chargers for all phones (yahoo.com)
I don't wish Apple any ill will, the platform is just not for me. Apple does so many things right, but they have such a tight hold on what they allow and what they don't. There are just too many restrictions: from not allowing book purchases through the Kindle app, to not allowing apps to display the real wifi signal strength, to not allowing Fing to display MAC addresses, and ridiculously not having a recurring reminder of missed calls like they have for missed messages. There's just no freedom to think outside the box with Apple, and I got tired of continually jail-breaking my iPhones, only to have Apple find a way to prevent it after a while. I actually made a list of 15 things that Android can do that Apple cannot, the most important of which for me is Automatic Call Forwarding: see below.

When I am at home I don't like to carry my cellphone with me from room to room. I just put my Galaxy S10 on the desk in the kitchen. In my Apple days, invariably my iPhone would ring and I would run through the house trying to catch the call, which I rarely did. Enter Android. Now, when I get home, my S10 sees the SSID of my network and automatically turns on call forwarding to our landline. When I leave the house, the S10 detects that I have left the network, and automatically turns off call forwarding. This is just one of many things that Android can do, that Apple can't, or rather, won't. Apple does have its virtues and one of them is iMessage. I do miss this feature and the ease of using iOS, but for me it's more important to have the freedom that Android allows.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Going back 30 years or so, I liked that Apple Products "just worked, plug and play", while IBM clones (that's what we called a PC back then) required manually installing drivers, etc.

But, Apple has always been less flexible than PCs, and has a much more rigid ecosystem. When I went back to PC way back then, I found that "windows finally figured it out".

But, what ultimately turned me off from Apple is the less flexible ecosystem, and especially their continuous drive to keep you locked in to their ecosystem! You have an iPhone then you MUST use iTunes. I don't like iTunes!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Going back 30 years or so, I liked that Apple Products "just worked, plug and play", while IBM clones (that's what we called a PC back then) required manually installing drivers, etc.

But, Apple has always been less flexible than PCs, and has a much more rigid ecosystem. When I went back to PC way back then, I found that "windows finally figured it out".

But, what ultimately turned me off from Apple is the less flexible ecosystem, and especially their continuous drive to keep you locked in to their ecosystem! You have an iPhone then you MUST use iTunes. I don't like iTunes!
In my family we moved from Android based mobile phones to iPhones for the added length of security updates, and yes, it's a very much needed security. We where quite happy with Ericsson -> Sony-Ericsson -> Sony transition until the "pure" Sony experience that became awful after a few years.

No iTunes requirement anymore, though.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Apple does have its virtues and one of them is iMessage. I do miss this feature and the ease of using iOS, but for me it's more important to have the freedom that Android allows.
If apple would play ball with Google then iMessage would be compatible with RCS and we'd all have the same experience. However, a LOT of android users don't even use RCS because they have no clue what it is. Carriers just need to kill SMS and be done with it.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I completely agree. The problem is that Apple knows that there are many iPhone/iPad owners who stay just because of iMessage. These are folks (like me) who would even be willing to pay a monthly or yearly fee for iMessage. But Apple knows this is a way to hang on to customers who might want to go for Android.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I'm not to concerned. My oldest Intel processor laptop/notebook is 6 years old and has window 10, Ver 21H1 as have the other 3. Upgrading has not been an issue. If Win 11, due for actual release October 5, I will wait another 30+ days to try and install on all 4. I will be waiting to receive the download notifications. If there is an issue anywhere, I'll keep using Win 10 for the next 4 years, when they say is to expire.

Some people are making a mountain out of a mole hill, with what specs are needed for your laptops.
Here are the systems requirements:Windows 11 requirements - What's new in Windows | Microsoft Docs

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis