What do you recommend changing in my audio system?

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
One other thing. How did you come to +7? How high is the gain on the subs amp? And did you level match at all? Or is this completely by ear?
I read in another Forum +7 is good for my Yamaha Subwoofer, but maybe I did'nt understand well. Behind the Subwoofer there are 8 notches to choose from.
Excuse my ignorance but I don't understand well. What do I mean "Adjust the level for each XO setting". Can you explain better please?

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
Do not turn up the crossover. Set it at 80Hz. The signal will begin to roll of to the subwoofer below 80Hz. Set the crossover too low, and the speakers will handle more of the bass and they just aren't equipped to output much bass. The sub is small and limited but will add a bit more bass than the speakers themselves. You have to make do with the speakers and subwoofer you have there. Adjust it until it sounds good to you.
I will try your suggestions.
A piece of advice: since the day I bought Onkyo I have never done an update because I have never used it on wifi. Do you think it's important to update?
However, after going to the Menu, I tried to enter the password but I don't know how to write in cubit letters. In fact my password is mixed with some cubit letters.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I read in another Forum +7 is good for my Yamaha Subwoofer, but maybe I did'nt understand well. Behind the Subwoofer there are 8 notches to choose from.
Excuse my ignorance but I don't understand well. What do I mean "Adjust the level for each XO setting". Can you explain better please?
Yes I can explain. Basically select a XO point, and adjust the subwoofer level and see how you like it. Then select a different XO point, listen to some matter and see how like it. So this for any XO points that might work and pick the one you like best.
Maybe @Trebdp83 can cover level matching first. That’s where you need to start, otherwise this is a boat without a rudder.
Edit. I asked Treb to cover level matching since I’m now at a school function.
Thanks @Trebdp83!!!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Using "Stereo" in Onkyo Menu, when I turn up the volume I hear the narration with a little too much bass. In fact, you can't even understand the words well. I have Crossover = 180 and Subwoofer is set to +7. In your opinion, is it better to lower the crossover percentage or set the subwoofer to +6? Thank you
Crossover between speakers and subs setting in the avr or the "crossover" on the sub itself? The subwoofer's level in the avr is +7 or is that the volume/gain knob on the sub itself? How did you arrive at matched levels between speakers and sub? Crossover isn't a percentage. I'd readjust the gain on the sub so that the avr's subwoofer level is set in the negative range.

ps the subwoofer level someone else uses may not have a thing to do with your particular system. Different pre-out levels will change the gain/volume setting on the sub, but with most consumer subs like that I think 7 out of 8 is too high.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
This is why I initially said my settings were just for test. Without a crash course in setting up an AVR that sinks in quickly and deeply, settings here will be manually done by ear and will not be perfect.

The subwoofer’s gain knob can be set to dot seven as suggested and it may still be a little high. The receiver’s subwoofer setting can be adjusted to compensate and somewhere between -10.0dB and 0.0dB will be the sweet spot.

I made my suggestions based on the receiver, speakers, and subwoofer in use and the fact that there is no setup mic to run AccuEQ. You can only do so much to help out when not in the same room with the user and equipment.

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
Crossover between speakers and subs setting in the avr or the "crossover" on the sub itself? The subwoofer's level in the avr is +7 or is that the volume/gain knob on the sub itself? How did you arrive at matched levels between speakers and sub? Crossover isn't a percentage. I'd readjust the gain on the sub so that the avr's subwoofer level is set in the negative range.
On the back of the Subwoofer there is a knob with 8 notches, with the respective numbers: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. I chose +7. I used those options together at the same time. That's all! Crossover Menu I chose +180. But I will modify everything as soon as possible and do some tests.

Last edited:
F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
Yes I can explain. Basically select a XO point, and adjust the subwoofer level and see how you like it.
Excuse my ignorance on the subject and English is not my non-native language. What do you mean by "XO point"?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Excuse my ignorance on the subject and English is not my non-native language. What do you mean by "XO point"?
My apologies. I didn’t have much time yesterday, and didn’t explain thoroughly.
By XO point, I just mean the crossover point between the subwoofer to speakers. IE, 80hz, 90hz, 100hz etc. (in your country it might be CPS, or cycles per second. 180 seems very high to me, but after a quick look I see your speakers look very small so higher XO makes sense. But with a high XO you should make sure not to have the subwoofer level too high. Or it will definitely sound muddy.
I think your English is very good. Better than some people I know!

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
Now I understand and I thank you.
Anyway I'd like to tell you looked at an old pic. Now I have Elac Debut b5.2.
I attach a pic.

Attachments

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
I did some tests.
I chose Crossover = 100. Then I chose the subwoofer notch = 4 (There are 8 notches). The quality of the narrative voice is improved.
However I am not expert and I'm afraid that I could improve the quality of the narrative voice more.
Can you tell me if what I chose could be ok?
Thank you

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Those settings sound about right. I had guessed on the subwoofer model and suggested a gain of about 75% of max. I set my own at 50% of max. A crossover of 100Hz is common and 120Hz is as high as I’ve ever gone myself. You might try it.

If you think it can still be improved, try adjusting Treble to +1 and Bass to -1, then Treble to +2 and Bass to -2. Adjusting to +3 and -3 might be pushing it. You want clear dialogue but don’t want it to sound too light without any weight to it if that makes sense.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also, I couldn’t find in the menu, but if there’s a manual EQ function in the Onkyo, try raising the 1k band, or the range around 1k by a few DB. That’s where the vocal range is, and boosting it a ttle can help with clarity. But be careful and start small.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The manual EQ settings will be under the Speaker settings. It can help but can take quite a few tweaks. I've tried it with several different settings combos. Eventually, I compare the settings of it and AcccuEQ to manual settings and end up turning both of them OFF. Results will vary of course.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The manual EQ settings will be under the Speaker settings. It can help but can take quite a few tweaks. I've tried it with several different settings combos. Eventually, I compare the settings of it and AcccuEQ to manual settings and end up turning both of them OFF. Results will vary of course.
Indeed ymmv as usual. But this is an unusual case i feel. So in addressing possible solutions, it’s at least worth a try. None of this would be effective in your system or mine, lol, but this is something else for sho.

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
Also, I couldn’t find in the menu, but if there’s a manual EQ function in the Onkyo, try raising the 1k band, or the range around 1k by a few DB. That’s where the vocal range is, and boosting it a ttle can help with clarity. But be careful and start small.
Honestly, I'd like to try but I'm afraid of making a mistake and never being able to go back. In my country there is a saying: those who are satisfied enjoy. So I'm happy with that. Anyway, thank you very much to everyone who gave me valuable advice. But you didn't answer my question. ;) ;) But you are certainly not forced. ;) I have never updated the Onkyo via wifi. How important is the update?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Honestly, I'd like to try but I'm afraid of making a mistake and never being able to go back. In my country there is a saying: those who are satisfied enjoy. So I'm happy with that. Anyway, thank you very much to everyone who gave me valuable advice. But you didn't answer my question. ;) ;) But you are certainly not forced. ;) I have never updated the Onkyo via wifi. How important is the update?
Indeed. A bird in the hand, or something like that lol.
The update is probably only important if it contains something you need, which I simply don’t know, but suspect you don’t need.
For the EQ, it should be simple enough. And if you “do” it, you can “undo” it too, although I appreciate the reticence.

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
My firmware is: 104020300102
I don't see it covered anywhere.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The latest version is 1060-6030-0104. Your version is the one that shipped with the unit I'm sure. You can update to the latest version if you wish to do so.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis