What do you recommend changing in my audio system?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Press the STEREO button on the remote controller repeatedly to select Stereo or AllCh Stereo mode.

Selecting Dolby Surround or DTS Neo:6 will make dialogue come from just the center channel when playing two channel signals.

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
Of course I went to "Setup", but I hope I made the right configuration. There is no option to disable the center channel, but I chose 4.1 and now the center channel no longer works. Is this the right option? Thanks again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't see what you're looking at or what you did....Hard to believe there is no speaker setting to turn center on/off....have you looked thru the manual much?

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
I attach some videos of my Menu.
I pressed "Setup" on my remote control and I went in some other submenu.
Repeat, I don't kno how disable the central channel, but I have chose 4.1. Now I listen audio on all the speakers but not on the central speaker.
Can you tell me how can I do it please?
I attach some videos.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I probably missed it due to skimming. But why the all CH stereo sound?

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
"The last question. I hope you can reply me quickly please because I need to buy a receiver now. I have just found this new receiver with a good price: Onkyo TX-NR545. In your opinion is it a good receiver? Is it good like Denon AVR-1200W? Which receiver would you buy between Onkyo TX-NR545 and Sony STR-DH750? Thanks again one."( Posted by You back in 2016) Lol.:D Don't hate the player, hate the game.;)

View attachment 64463
You asked the wrong person. Sorry, but I'm no expert. However, I am satisfied, the Onkyo I have is excellent. However, if I could go back, maybe I would buy Sony (even if I don't like it), but I think it communicates better with my Sony TV.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Configuring the speakers to 4.1 is the correct setting if you do NOT want to use the Center Channel Speaker at all and only want sound from the Front Speakers and Surround Speakers. The receiver will act as though it is not there and selecting AllCH Stereo will send sound to every other speaker and the Center channel will not work in any mode. If you want to use the Center Channel Speaker, you must configure the speakers to 5.1.

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
Configuring the speakers to 4.1 is the correct setting if you do NOT want to use the Center Channel Speaker at all and only want sound from the Front Speakers and Surround Speakers. The receiver will act as though it is not there and selecting AllCH Stereo will send sound to every other speaker and the Center channel will not work in any mode. If you want to use the Center Channel Speaker, you must configure the speakers to 5.1.
Yes, I understand. I'd like to use 5.1 and to get very faint audio come out of the center channel. Is it possible to do this? I didn't succeed.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you want to use AllCH Stereo mode but don't want the Center Channel Speaker to be too loud, go into Setup>Speakers>Level Calibration>Center and adjust the Center Channel dB level. If your Front Speakers are at 0.0dB, set the Center Channel Speaker to -3 or -4dB.

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
Later I will try again. Thanks for yoyr advice. Out of curiosity:
How would you like to watch a documentary with the speakers I have? Would you prefer just ""Stereo" or 5.1 or 4.1?
Keep in mind that I don't watch my documentaries alone but usually with 5-6 spectators.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sometimes less is more. Two nice Front Speakers can deliver a better audio presentation than mixed and matched Speakers in a 5.1 configuration using AllCH Stereo. Your room has a challenging layout. When a Center Channel Speaker is very close to the Front Speakers, it can do more harm than good to use it.

Try using Stereo(2.1) and if the vocals aren't just right, tweak the crossover up to 100Hz and try adjusting the Bass and Treble a little bit each way until it sounds just right to you. A documentary will not need sound effects coming from all over the room. What is most important is that the dialogue is clear and understandable to those listening to it.

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
Using "Stereo" in Onkyo Menu, when I turn up the volume I hear the narration with a little too much bass. In fact, you can't even understand the words well. I have Crossover = 180 and Subwoofer is set to +7. In your opinion, is it better to lower the crossover percentage or set the subwoofer to +6? Thank you

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Set the crossover to 80Hz and Subwoofer to 0. If 0 is too low, move it up until it sounds good to you.

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
You are giving me a very drastic treatment, why?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It's not so drastic. When your crossover is too high and a subwoofer level is also high, things can sound boomy.

F

FoxAdriano

Junior Audioholic
But what I ask is: is it better to gradually turn up the Sobwoofer or the creossover?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
But what I ask is: is it better to gradually turn up the Sobwoofer or the creossover?
Well usually one at a time so you know what is affecting what. +7 with a XO of 180 will make any system sound muddy and bass heavy.
IMO, the XO is much too high. Basically it is encroaching into the range where the speakers should be playing. Add to that a very high +7 trim and it’s no wonder it’s muddy.
As mentioned, I would try 50hz and adjust the level ONLY. Then try 60, 70, 80 and 100hz. Adjust the level for each XO setting and see which one you like best. Then try it for awhile.
One other thing. How did you come to +7? How high is the gain on the subs amp? And did you level match at all? Or is this completely by ear?
I have no use for all ch stereo so can’t advise there.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Do not turn up the crossover. Set it at 80Hz. The signal will begin to roll of to the subwoofer below 80Hz. Set the crossover too low, and the speakers will handle more of the bass and they just aren't equipped to output much bass. The sub is small and limited but will add a bit more bass than the speakers themselves. You have to make do with the speakers and subwoofer you have there. Adjust it until it sounds good to you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis