What do you guys think of Polk Audio speakers?

T

termin8ted314

Audioholic
I have always been happy with my Polk speakers. I have a new receiver(Denon 2310) id like to get some speakers. I had eliminated Polk from my search but was wondering about what other peoples thoughts on them?

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
I like Polk speakers as well. I think they provide good value for the money. A lot of people don't like the way they sound at the higher frequencies, but I've never had an issue with that.

Why did you eliminate them from your search? It seems like if you've liked them historically, you would want to consider them now too, even if just to compare them against other brands you think you are interested in.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Polk's are a quality speaker. You have to decide whether you enjoy the sound they make. I think there are better values out there for my taste but you need to decide that for yourself.

T

termin8ted314

Audioholic
From what i read they seemd like a lower end speakers. My system was pretty basic and i always and still like it for what it is. I think i picked it up in 2001. Polk RM6600 satelites with upgraded subwoofer.

Im at the point where i want to upgrade to better speakers

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Not a fan myself, but I suppose some folks like them.

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
What are you looking to pay for 5 speakers and a sub? I'd guess those cost you somewhere between 700-800 new in 2001?

T

termin8ted314

Audioholic
Yeah thats how much they were back then. I was thinking $2000-2500 for my new speaker setup.

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
There are a whole lot of people around here with similar budgets for speakers. I would spend a couple hours reading through the posts in the General Discussion sedtion and in this (Loudspeaker) section to see what other people have listened to or recommended to get a feel for what is available.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I used to have their lower end R series speakers and thought they were quite good for what I paid for them. I've also liked the other Polk speakers I've heard, but if they sound good to you, that's all that really matters.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Polk speakers are about average; they are not the best, but certainly not the worst.:D

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I have the Lsi's running in my HT rig, and I love them. The old lady was playing Natalie Merchant through the setup just yesterday and it shocked me as to how good it sounded. Obviously a very hi WAF as a result of sound and size.

DJ

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
Polk? the bastard speaker company, senor.

From what I remember; when I started selling audio, more than 25 years ago :p, I remember hearing the Polk SDA-SRS series at a trade show. they were really the envy of the North American audio market at the time. Standing taller than most men they were like giant monoliths full of sound.

Then there was the retail Polk market that forced cheaper and cheaper prices, though they sounded like European speakers, people knew they were not and were not prepared to pay such high ticket prices for an American speaker. Their speakers started getting cheaper and cheaper until they fell into the low-fi market segment and started competing with cheapo Kenwoods and JVC speakers, with British manufacturer's leaving them in the dust after the British music invasion that hit North America behind the NWOBHM, dragging Europhiles en masse to funky European made audiophile products. At that time Polk was still considered a fairly high end product, even in the lower model range, and was sold only by boutique style audio stores.

After severe financial problems that nearly shut down Polk, they moved manufacturing to Tijuana Mexico in 2005, only their top end was made in Baltimore, they also created a low end, BIG BOX speaker that was strictly for sale through Best Buy (made in Vale Colorado by Genesis Technologies) before selling out the main Polk line to DE the following year. Eventually all Polk manufacturing, including their elite, SRT series was sent to Tijuana.

Eventually they lost the Best Buy deal and picked up Circuit City, which is when they looked at buying the much higher end Genesis Electronics who had made their Big Box stuff.

So put on your sombrero and fire up your Polks with your favorite Mariachi band!

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
From what I remember; when I started selling audio, more than 25 years ago :p, I remember hearing the Polk SDA-SRS series at a trade show. they were really the envy of the North American audio market at the time. Standing taller than most men they were like giant monoliths full of sound.

Then there was the retail Polk market that forced cheaper and cheaper prices, though they sounded like European speakers, people knew they were not and were not prepared to pay such high ticket prices for an American speaker. Their speakers started getting cheaper and cheaper until they fell into the low-fi market segment and started competing with cheapo Kenwoods and JVC speakers, with British manufacturer's leaving them in the dust after the British music invasion that hit North America behind the NWOBHM, dragging Europhiles en masse to funky European made audiophile products. At that time Polk was still considered a fairly high end product, even in the lower model range, and was sold only by boutique style audio stores.

After severe financial problems that nearly shut down Polk, they moved manufacturing to Tijuana Mexico in 2005, only their top end was made in Baltimore, they also created a low end, BIG BOX speaker that was strictly for sale through Best Buy (made in Vale Colorado by Genesis Technologies) before selling out the main Polk line to DE the following year. Eventually all Polk manufacturing, including their elite, SRT series was sent to Tijuana.

Eventually they lost the Best Buy deal and picked up Circuit City, which is when they looked at buying the much higher end Genesis Electronics who had made their Big Box stuff.

So put on your sombrero and fire up your Polks with your favorite Mariachi band!
Mexico, China, Malaysia - What's the difference? At least they're made in North America, I guess.

DJ

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not going to cover Polk History..... but the modern day Polk speakers.... blah.... not a natural sound at all. Annoying treble is the main problem. Hyped up for easy sales ; people mistake that poor treble for detail often. I'm talking of the models you find in common stores or outlets like Crutchfield. I don't know if Polk even still has high end speakers - and if they do - I can not comment on them. But, many speakers have excessive treble.... so it's all relative, I suppose....

-Chris

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
I have been a very happy Polk owner for close to 20 years. They make speakers at various price points so that there is something for everyone.

Their high end speaker is the LSI series which is phenominal. The price is good, but where it runs into money is that you need to have separate amplification to get to their full potential.

Just about everything is made overseas these days & Polk is no different. So long as they are designed here, I'm happy. Their customer service is 2nd to none.

They go where the market is and continue to adapt to the ever changing market, which is how they have stayed in business for over 30 years.

That is the point of having a business isn't it?

Go & give them a listen & decide for yourself.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
If you like the sound, that is all that matters. I personally didn't care for the ones I auditioned a couple years ago, but they weren't the top of the line models either. I ended up going with the Infinity Primus line which I have since replaced. It comes down to personal preference and what you are willing to spend (or spend time researching to get for less).

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
My dad has t90e's up front (monitor 60's i think), with a cs1 center channel and monitor 30's and 40's for surround duty. He's very pleased, but he got a great deal on the whole set. I'm fairly impressed the with towers for stereo sound, but I grew up listening to them. :) For the price newegg has them sometimes I think they're a very good budget option, although I went with the EMP set up for various reasons. One of these days I may get around to comparing the two...

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
LSI is a high end speaker? I have heard most of the line. It's okay I guess, for 'that' particular price point. I guess one needs to define 'high end'. I really don't know what it means, since it is applied to so many speakers.....

I always considered, at minimum, something along the lines of B&W 802D as true high performance. But I guess(?) high - end does not necessarily have to be in the 'high' range of performance. ?????

I'm not trying to be a jerk - even though I know I might be one anyways - just trying to figure this whole trend to call speakers with such obvious lower performance as compared to what one can get - as 'high end'..... I have even probably used the term on lower performance speakers just out of habit...

-Chris

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
LSI is a high end speaker? I have heard most of the line. It's okay I guess, for 'that' particular price point. I guess one needs to define 'high end'. I really don't know what it means, since it is applied to so many speakers.....

I always considered, at minimum, something along the lines of B&W 802D as true high performance. But I guess(?) high - end does not necessarily have to be in the 'high' range of performance. ?????

I'm not trying to be a jerk - even though I know I might be one anyways - just trying to figure this whole trend to call speakers with such obvious lower performance as compared to what one can get - as 'high end'..... I have even probably used the term on lower performance speakers just out of habit...

-Chris
I find that "high-end" or "low-end" really seems to be in regards to how much the equipment costs. If it is more expensive than my current equipment, I kind of half0mindely throw the "higher-end" tag on them and vice-versa. Not saying that's right at all, but it just kind of happens, as humans we tend to use price as the most basic sign of quality, whether it is true or not.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis