What do you guys think of Polk Audio speakers?

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
Wow! Polks are a touchy subject on this forum. At first I thought I was looking at an Emotiva thread on the polk forum. :D If you want a laugh check these flame wars out. I own both, so what does that say? I love the hobby but my income controls the purchases. I have around $1600 in the 5 piece set. If this makes me low end thats OK. FWIW I like my Polks! They are on the bright side, but that is what I like about them. My current system is the best I have owned. Can it be better? I hope so, keeps me interested.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure anyone has really diss'd Polks. There are quite a few fans, and some people with specific criticisms (not I, I haven't heard them), but they are a respected brand with a long history. Whether they (or any) given speaker is the best bang for the buck is debatable. If it wasn't threads like "what do you think of..." would be pointless.

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
I love my new Monitor 50s, but my smallish Yamaha rx-v365 doesn't push them very well or very clean. I definitely need to upgrade the receiver and run an amp to these.
All in good time.:cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...if one likes a truly neutral speaker like the 802D in it's natural state/response(which btw does not have a metal tweeter.. but that is a myth in any event about metal tweeters.... ). I don't like the sound myself as it is...
Yeah, I listened to them in Direct Mode and I didn't like it either.:D

IMO, if a pair of speakers costs $10K or more, they are HIGH-END and they better sound AWESOME to me without having to mess with EQs.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know if I spent 7 grand on "a" speaker and it sounded like a $500 speaker I would be very disappointed.
I think we can all agree with that.:D

And I've listened to $7K/pr speakers that didn't sound much better than $500/pr speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I said that Polk's high end speaker (in terms of cost based on all their speaker lines) was the LSI series.
I thought when you said that the LSIs were "high end", that you meant they were "high end".
I thought she meant the LSI were Polk's high end line relative to their other product lines such as the RTi, R, M, and T series.
Cool-Hand-Luke says, "What we have here is a failure to communicate!":D

Flagship - means highest level (most expensive) in the model series.

High-end - means "A lot more expensive than most people care to spend".:D

So cfrizz was talking about the FLAGSHIP Polk model.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
It is always possible to have 'better' options, but I think if you are okay with the entry level Polk Audio speakers you should give the LSI a listen. Their ring tweeters do sound better than the tweeters in their RTi series ones. if you can stretch your budget to $3,000 you may be able to get a pair of LSI9 for L/R, the LSIFX for surrounds and LSiC center to complete a nice 5.1 system.

Such a system is not going to be as good (just my opinion) as one based on the Paradigm Sig series, or B&W 800 series but to me, it will be superior to one based on the popular Paradigm Studio series speakers as an example. The LSI series are designed to sound neutral, suitable for classical music listening.
If you shop around, you can pickup the whole 5 channel Lsi (2 Lsi9's, LsiC, 2 Lsi7's) package for considerably less than $2000. That leaves you $1000+ for a sub, or two. I think top to bottom for my 5 Polk Lsi's I paid about $1600 give or take.

DJ

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I listened to them in Direct Mode and I didn't like it either.:D
My educated guess is that you do not like neutral sound, you probably do not like how a live classical music concert sounds either.:D:D

IMO, if a pair of speakers costs $10K or more, they are HIGH-END and they better sound AWESOME to me without having to mess with EQs.:D
I can almost agree with such statement. If I owe a pair of the 802D or even just the 803D I most likely would not EQ them, and I like it neutral. I was not impressed with DefTech at all the first time (about 4 or 5 years ago) I heard them. Then I realize they have never received a single bad review so I intend to give them another listen.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think top to bottom for my 5 Polk Lsi's I paid about $1600 give or take.

DJ
$1,600 without the sub and all brand new? Still better than I thought. I based my number on Amazon.com prices are new ones. I can tell you that this is not possible in Canada. I would love to have a pair of LSI9 for my second system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My educated guess is that you do not like neutral sound, you probably do not like how a live classical music concert sounds either.:D:D
I like live classical (Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Bach, etc.) concert music.

But I do not like live rock music - not enough bass for me.:D

jinjuku

jinjuku

The LSI's are Polks Top of the line speakers. ie high end, better sound & performance over their other lines.

Your idea of high end ie B & W is attributed to what? their price? Who cares. I have never heard any of their speakers that I would like to own, simply because their metal tweeters give me a headache after about an hour.

Who sets these performance standards? What is the criteria based on?

All of this is subjective. People like what they like. I base my likes upon what is pleasing to 1. my ears, 2. my eyes, 3. my wallet. So long as the speakers meet MY performance standards that is all that matters.

I don't give a rats *** about what any magazine has to say about Polk, or any audio snob who scoffs because of the price of the speakers.

My ears like what they hear from Polks, They have been in business for over 30 years and have a great reputation for value & performance, and outstanding customer service.

For me, that is all that is important.
I think I would rather focus on great sounding vs 'high end'. Everything is relative to the performance for the price.

I think when it comes to setting the performance standards it can be done. Look at a guy like John Krutke with all his speaker measurements. You can measure distortion and off axis response etc, etc, etc.

For what it is worth I have recommended going on the 4th system for friends now a Polk setup for HT use due to the price/performance. The Monitor series at Newegg are simply rocking values.

But in the end I will always say it: Use your ears.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Wow! Polks are a touchy subject on this forum. At first I thought I was looking at an Emotiva thread on the polk forum. :D If you want a laugh check these flame wars out.
We would have to be at 16 pages already since this morning if that was the case. I will say this is one way AH'ers can't compete... We simply don't have that much irrational hatred to go around.

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
We would have to be at 16 pages already since this morning if that was the case. I will say this is one way AH'ers can't compete... We simply don't have that much irrational hatred to go around.
Thank goodness for that. Thats the great thing about this forum. You get opinions and recommendations without be flamed for your own.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
$1,600 without the sub and all brand new? Still better than I thought. I based my number on Amazon.com prices are new ones. I can tell you that this is not possible in Canada. I would love to have a pair of LSI9 for my second system.
Ebay, my boy. Ebay.

DJ

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
I have a pair of the TSi 300s for my front speakers and they sound spectacular for what I paid for them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis