What do you do while listening to music?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The modern equivalent to reading the liner notes. Sometimes it's a little disappointing to find out how many lineup changes some favorite bands have had. Many end up barely an essence of the original. These days, a single artist can often play enough of all the basic instruments to mix what sounds like a whole band was included. Oftentimes, this artificiality puts me off to projects just knowing it in the back of my mind. I like to imagine the band and the stage, or even the studio arrangement of the different players. A single musician doing it all and using technology to make it into something else kind of ruins it for me.

I knew very little about jazz. What I ended up liking about this genre was how many seeming impromptu jam sessions came from what amounts to club interactions and studio associations over the years. As with other genres, this tends to get me familiar with musicians personal tones that I can then often pick out on albums from other artists as well.

Often times, I'll just have the song list on the screen and nothing else. Oddly enough, I used to do this with the vinyl album covers. Backside up, with the songs list showing, even though I knew the order and duration of each song. Otherwise, I usually look at nothing. If an album or song is really good, it will draw me away anyway.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The modern equivalent to reading the liner notes. Sometimes it's a little disappointing to find out how many lineup changes some favorite bands have had. Many end up barely an essence of the original. These days, a single artist can often play enough of all the basic instruments to mix what sounds like a whole band was included. Oftentimes, this artificiality puts me off to projects just knowing it in the back of my mind. I like to imagine the band and the stage, or even the studio arrangement of the different players. A single musician doing it all and using technology to make it into something else kind of ruins it for me.

I knew very little about jazz. What I ended up liking about this genre was how many seeming impromptu jam sessions came from what amounts to club interactions and studio associations over the years. As with other genres, this tends to get me familiar with musicians personal tones that I can then often pick out on albums from other artists as well.

Often times, I'll just have the song list on the screen and nothing else. Oddly enough, I used to do this with the vinyl album covers. Backside up, with the songs list showing, even though I knew the order and duration of each song. Otherwise, I usually look at nothing. If an album or song is really good, it will draw me away anyway.
Yeah, album covers were great- it's much harder to read the notes for a CD and when the music is streamed, it's almost impossible to see who did what, when and where. Pandora shows some of this if you use the phone app, but not if you use a streaming device like a Roku.

"Seeming impromptu"? Improvisation is the basis for Jazz! Well, real Jazz, anyway. I'm not talking about smooth jazz KennyG BS, I'm referring to live gigs that were recorded and established musicians who can afford to record what they want, rather than bow and scrape to a producer. Having said that, some producers are so good that they can make someone's records far better than they might have been if left to the artist's whims. Quincy Jones is one of those. Some artists won't play songs the same way twice. The 'bones' of the songs are there- chord changes, lyrics (when it's not instrumental) and when solos will be played may be set, but the solos are improvised. Writing a solo in advance is hard, playing it the same way afterward is just a matter of memorization.

Have you gone to any live Jazz gigs? Even on a local basis, it's not hard to find musicians who can really surprise with their ability. When national artists come to town, they sometimes play at smaller clubs- when that happens, you'll often see other local musicians in the crowd and if they know the headliners, it's not uncommon for someone to sit in with them. That's when the cool stuff happens. They often look disorganized before the song starts, but it makes a 180 as soon as they begin and it's as if they've played together for years, even though it might be the first time. Many well-established performers toured without a band. They would go to each town or city, contact the musician's union and request musicians who played the instruments they wanted, maybe get together before the gig to discuss the set list and keys to play in and sometimes, they would rehearse a bit. Often, they were playing standards and since it's assumed that everybody knows those, it was a matter of keys and tempo. The better/best musicians make it seem like they're actually a band when in actuality, they had never played together before that gig.

As far as one person doing it all- modern recording methods have made it possible for someone to record in their bedroom and bring it together through creative mixing and software- If that's what bothers you, I agree. Used to be that musicians played for years/decades in bands and as solo artists before they even made enough money to record a 45 and now, they scrape together a few hundred bucks and they're on their way to stardom. Then, they realize that they have to play in public and sometimes, that's where the wheels fall off. Welcome to AutoTune, sequencing and lip synch (Milli Vanilli is a great example of the latter).

https://www.thethings.com/famous-singers-caught-lip-syncing/#lindsay-lohan

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, album covers were great- it's much harder to read the notes for a CD and when the music is streamed, it's almost impossible to see who did what, when and where. Pandora shows some of this if you use the phone app, but not if you use a streaming device like a Roku.

"Seeming impromptu"? Improvisation is the basis for Jazz! Well, real Jazz, anyway. I'm not talking about smooth jazz KennyG BS, I'm referring to live gigs that were recorded and established musicians who can afford to record what they want, rather than bow and scrape to a producer. Having said that, some producers are so good that they can make someone's records far better than they might have been if left to the artist's whims. Quincy Jones is one of those. Some artists won't play songs the same way twice. The 'bones' of the songs are there- chord changes, lyrics (when it's not instrumental) and when solos will be played may be set, but the solos are improvised. Writing a solo in advance is hard, playing it the same way afterward is just a matter of memorization.

Have you gone to any live Jazz gigs? Even on a local basis, it's not hard to find musicians who can really surprise with their ability. When national artists come to town, they sometimes play at smaller clubs- when that happens, you'll often see other local musicians in the crowd and if they know the headliners, it's not uncommon for someone to sit in with them. That's when the cool stuff happens. They often look disorganized before the song starts, but it makes a 180 as soon as they begin and it's as if they've played together for years, even though it might be the first time. Many well-established performers toured without a band. They would go to each town or city, contact the musician's union and request musicians who played the instruments they wanted, maybe get together before the gig to discuss the set list and keys to play in and sometimes, they would rehearse a bit. Often, they were playing standards and since it's assumed that everybody knows those, it was a matter of keys and tempo. The better/best musicians make it seem like they're actually a band when in actuality, they had never played together before that gig.

As far as one person doing it all- modern recording methods have made it possible for someone to record in their bedroom and bring it together through creative mixing and software- If that's what bothers you, I agree. Used to be that musicians played for years/decades in bands and as solo artists before they even made enough money to record a 45 and now, they scrape together a few hundred bucks and they're on their way to stardom. Then, they realize that they have to play in public and sometimes, that's where the wheels fall off. Welcome to AutoTune, sequencing and lip synch (Milli Vanilli is a great example of the latter).

https://www.thethings.com/famous-singers-caught-lip-syncing/#lindsay-lohan
Agreed.

Much more virtuosity in jazz, it seems. Reason I say "seems," is because I haven't really researched much past the knowns of rock music. Pandora does indeed offer inside info on many artists. I really enjoy the back doors that the "discovery" option in that particular media brings me to. I can end up with many youtube tabs, fan websites and wiki articles during a single Pandora session. This also tends to cause me to buy more CDs.

I like most types (although, I don't always 'get' a lot of the contemporary stuff) of jazz, especially from the hard bop era, some of it's different fusions such as funk and some of the rockier beat types that tend to intertwine with some popular music as well, such as, the group "War." Gene Ammons is one of my favorite saxophone tones on the planet. My first hooks was older Herbie Hancock stuff and Maceo Parker's instrumental remake of "Children's World." From there, a Maceo Parker station on Pandora opened a treasure trove of even the most remotely associated artists and a LOT of good music.

Funny that David Bowie's "Fame" and "Golden Years" got me hooked on the idea of Funk music, and D!ck Parry from Pink Floyd planting the saxophone seed. Never did get into Kenny G. types and the closest I get to that is probably Boney James.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
To add: I am not into synthetic crutches in music. The imaginative aspect is a big deal for me and tends to fill in a lot of the otherwise obscure audio blanks or iffy representations of it at times. Is why I can still listen to music from the cheaper seats. As long as irritable audible distortions are low and bass adequate, I can mentally filter the rest. But it helps to have the mental picture of the works in progress. One guy looping and dubbing just seems so generic to me. I don't mind it if someone does it when performing solo for enhancement purposes, but I don't want to be fooled.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
What do I do? I turn over for a good nights sleep, listening to internet music. When I wake up during the middle of the night, I might change stations. It might be Folk, 60's, Country, Current hits, or symphony. I have different moods.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty rare I am listening via headphones. I'm mostly likely either sitting out a power shortage, or maybe late night in the tent/rv while camping.....

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Pretty rare I am listening via headphones. I'm mostly likely either sitting out a power shortage, or maybe late night in the tent/rv while camping.....
I do pretty much the same regardless of what I listen with, but rarely headphones. I have a weld hood clamped on my head all week. . .it's nice to get away from having anything on it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do pretty much the same regardless of what I listen with, but rarely headphones. I have a weld hood clamped on my head all week. . .it's nice to get away from having anything on it.
You realize you posted in the headphone subforum, yeah?

highfigh

highfigh

Agreed.

Much more virtuosity in jazz, it seems. Reason I say "seems," is because I haven't really researched much past the knowns of rock music. Pandora does indeed offer inside info on many artists. I really enjoy the back doors that the "discovery" option in that particular media brings me to. I can end up with many youtube tabs, fan websites and wiki articles during a single Pandora session. This also tends to cause me to buy more CDs.

I like most types (although, I don't always 'get' a lot of the contemporary stuff) of jazz, especially from the hard bop era, some of it's different fusions such as funk and some of the rockier beat types that tend to intertwine with some popular music as well, such as, the group "War." Gene Ammons is one of my favorite saxophone tones on the planet. My first hooks was older Herbie Hancock stuff and Maceo Parker's instrumental remake of "Children's World." From there, a Maceo Parker station on Pandora opened a treasure trove of even the most remotely associated artists and a LOT of good music.

Funny that David Bowie's "Fame" and "Golden Years" got me hooked on the idea of Funk music, and D!ck Parry from Pink Floyd planting the saxophone seed. Never did get into Kenny G. types and the closest I get to that is probably Boney James.
In the '60s and '70s, some bands added horns because they thought the music wanted them, some added horns after others did it and many of the horn tracks were less than great. Some used real Jazz musicians, some used good musicians who were able to get the job done while some were only used as accents. King Crimson's first LP had Ian McDonald on Sax & Flute- this was a British Prog band, before the name 'Prog' was used and it was a groundbreaking record. The sound isn't great on the original and even the remasters have sonic problems, but that's because the recording engineers had no idea how to record them since they had been used mainly for classical and other music that didn't have the same instrumentation, sounds and other details. While this music is definitely not for everyone because of the sounds that can be irritating, the atonality and because it can be described as 'on the edge', it has some great music that many other bands and musicians cite as major influences. McDonald went on to playing in Foreigner and I think you have heard him playing on their songs. While it's not his best playing, you can look into him online for more.

As far as the 'real Jazz' players, saxophone seemed to be the instrument of choice when a rock band wanted to scratch the edge of the "We're being creative" scab. Steely Dan always used outstanding musicians and if you know their Aja LP, you know that sax was featured on several songs, including the title track. That was Wayne Shorter, who's a great musician and has played with some of the best, including Miles Davis, Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and others. If you're familiar with Billy Joel's song 'Just The Way You Are', that had Phil Woods on Sax and he's another one with a long and illustrious history.

There's a lot of Jazz that sounds like noise to many people but if you look into the history of this genre, you'll see that the musicians improvised because they were bored with playing the same parts, over and over. Rock musicians who don't just play three chords and fast notes without knowing if/why they fit the chords become bored, too- I suspect this is one of the reasons for their substance abuse, along with the famous ones being cooped up in hotel rooms and sequestered from the public when they weren't on stage. Some had healthy hobbies, so they had other things to keep their minds occupied.

Digging into any style of music can be a big rabbit hole and Jazz, being over 100 years old with many major shifts, is a good way to find out who did what, when, why and who they played with, as well as their other influences. Not that Jazz has the long history of Classical music, but its origin and where it has gone can be very interesting.

You mentioned Hard Bop as contemporary stuff, but that style actually came along almost 70 years ago.

Check out the early-mid-'70s Fusion stuff- this was much more energetic than a lot of what came along in the late-'70s, which was often called 'Fuzak' and it was a formulated cesspool created by the record companies' wanting hits. You can usually tell if the artists were in this era because they left the labels as soon as possible and many had legal fights over it.

One thing Jazz musicians have done is take parts of existing music (often Classical or the pop songs of the time) and wrote new melodies over the chord changes. One of of these is 'Ornithology', by Charlie Parker. He used the changes from 'How High The Moon'.

If you watch old videos of Jazz bands, they used sheet music- the early ones used it because memorizing everything would have been almost impossible but they also used it as the basis for their arrangers to leave space when it was time for a solo.

Here's an example of this, in a studio- he has been in bands like Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and Phil Woods' Quartet, Horace Silver, Eddie Palmieri and even on recordings by Prince. Yeah, they're reading the intro and many other fast parts-

highfigh

highfigh

To add: I am not into synthetic crutches in music. The imaginative aspect is a big deal for me and tends to fill in a lot of the otherwise obscure audio blanks or iffy representations of it at times. Is why I can still listen to music from the cheaper seats. As long as irritable audible distortions are low and bass adequate, I can mentally filter the rest. But it helps to have the mental picture of the works in progress. One guy looping and dubbing just seems so generic to me. I don't mind it if someone does it when performing solo for enhancement purposes, but I don't want to be fooled.
One guy looping and dubbing- too much like dumping paint into a bucket, mixing it and splattering it on a canvas before saying "Yeah, I'm a painter"?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
In the '60s and '70s, some bands added horns because they thought the music wanted them, some added horns after others did it and many of the horn tracks were less than great. Some used real Jazz musicians, some used good musicians who were able to get the job done while some were only used as accents. King Crimson's first LP had Ian McDonald on Sax & Flute- this was a British Prog band, before the name 'Prog' was used and it was a groundbreaking record. The sound isn't great on the original and even the remasters have sonic problems, but that's because the recording engineers had no idea how to record them since they had been used mainly for classical and other music that didn't have the same instrumentation, sounds and other details. While this music is definitely not for everyone because of the sounds that can be irritating, the atonality and because it can be described as 'on the edge', it has some great music that many other bands and musicians cite as major influences. McDonald went on to playing in Foreigner and I think you have heard him playing on their songs. While it's not his best playing, you can look into him online for more.

As far as the 'real Jazz' players, saxophone seemed to be the instrument of choice when a rock band wanted to scratch the edge of the "We're being creative" scab. Steely Dan always used outstanding musicians and if you know their Aja LP, you know that sax was featured on several songs, including the title track. That was Wayne Shorter, who's a great musician and has played with some of the best, including Miles Davis, Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and others. If you're familiar with Billy Joel's song 'Just The Way You Are', that had Phil Woods on Sax and he's another one with a long and illustrious history.

There's a lot of Jazz that sounds like noise to many people but if you look into the history of this genre, you'll see that the musicians improvised because they were bored with playing the same parts, over and over. Rock musicians who don't just play three chords and fast notes without knowing if/why they fit the chords become bored, too- I suspect this is one of the reasons for their substance abuse, along with the famous ones being cooped up in hotel rooms and sequestered from the public when they weren't on stage. Some had healthy hobbies, so they had other things to keep their minds occupied.

Digging into any style of music can be a big rabbit hole and Jazz, being over 100 years old with many major shifts, is a good way to find out who did what, when, why and who they played with, as well as their other influences. Not that Jazz has the long history of Classical music, but its origin and where it has gone can be very interesting.

You mentioned Hard Bop as contemporary stuff, but that style actually came along almost 70 years ago.

Check out the early-mid-'70s Fusion stuff- this was much more energetic than a lot of what came along in the late-'70s, which was often called 'Fuzak' and it was a formulated cesspool created by the record companies' wanting hits. You can usually tell if the artists were in this era because they left the labels as soon as possible and many had legal fights over it.

One thing Jazz musicians have done is take parts of existing music (often Classical or the pop songs of the time) and wrote new melodies over the chord changes. One of of these is 'Ornithology', by Charlie Parker. He used the changes from 'How High The Moon'.

If you watch old videos of Jazz bands, they used sheet music- the early ones used it because memorizing everything would have been almost impossible but they also used it as the basis for their arrangers to leave space when it was time for a solo.

Here's an example of this, in a studio- he has been in bands like Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and Phil Woods' Quartet, Horace Silver, Eddie Palmieri and even on recordings by Prince. Yeah, they're reading the intro and many other fast parts-

My grandfather traveled with the big bands of the '30s and '40s playing trombone. He was always on the road. I have some memorabilia from his to-dos with some of the biggest names of the time and we still have his horn somewhere. My father was big into big bands too, and Lawrence Welk. He also like Buck Owens and Johnny Cash. He would have approved of much of the music I have discovered since. I get the taste for it at least somewhat honestly, I reckon, albeit it a bit late.

Hard bop is what hooked me first. I don't have it confused with contemporary. I find a lot of the older stuff from the '40s thru '60s to be recorded better than I thought it could be. Some is actually excellent. At the very least, accurate to how it may have been translated back then. I am from (or the cusp of, at least) then, so it seems a bit more natural to me. I grew up listening to mono, first. The blessings of a well exercised imagination made even that, enjoyable.

I have followed mostly jazz for the last 6 years. Internet has intensified the resources to this topic exponentially. It still keeps me occupied for hours each day.

This isn't pristine recording but when that solo starts, it doesn't have to be. It just digs in regardless.Some of the issue with jazz is many people don't have the patience to get past it's often lengthy intros before dismissing it.

highfigh

highfigh

My grandfather traveled with the big bands of the '30s and '40s playing trombone. He was always on the road. I have some memorabilia from his to-dos with some of the biggest names of the time and we still have his horn somewhere. My father was big into big bands too, and Lawrence Welk. He also like Buck Owens and Johnny Cash. He would have approved of much of the music I have discovered since. I get the taste for it at least somewhat honestly, I reckon, albeit it a bit late.

Hard bop is what hooked me first. I don't have it confused with contemporary. I find a lot of the older stuff from the '40s thru '60s to be recorded better than I thought it could be. Some is actually excellent. At the very least, accurate to how it may have been translated back then. I am from (or the cusp of, at least) then, so it seems a bit more natural to me. I grew up listening to mono, first. The blessings of a well exercised imagination made even that, enjoyable.

I have followed mostly jazz for the last 6 years. Internet has intensified the resources to this topic exponentially. It still keeps me occupied for hours each day.

This isn't pristine recording but when that solo starts, it doesn't have to be. It just digs in regardless.Some of the issue with jazz is many people don't have the patience to get past it's often lengthy intros before dismissing it.

This track sounds familiar- we have a college radio station that plays a ridiculously wide range of genres, with strong emphasis on Jazz & Blues, although I actually got into some Punk while I was working on my house- only had a clock radio and didn't bother to change the station and then, started to look forward to it. Punk came about when I was listening to a lot of Jazz & blues, so I had a hard time grasping it back then.

Cool, to see that your Grandfather was a touring musician- I have always liked Trombone.

At some point, I think the music should be more important than sound quality, but I have also known people who only listened to the so-called 'best recording quality records' without caring about the music. I worked with someone who only listened to Enya because he liked the way her records sounded.

I just bought a CD of Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain- it was one of the first 25 titles available and I worked for one of hte earliest Sony dealers- that one and 'Kind of Blue' were two that I listened to a lot while I worked and because the original versions were in mono, the background noise level was extremely low. Once they released the stereo version, that was very quiet, too. Mono vs stereo- I prefer mono to a bad stereo mix.

I watched a documentary about Les Paul and at one point, he said that after having several million-selling records, Miles Davis told him that he would kill for a million-seller. Paul replied with "You have to play for the people, Miles- you ca't just play for the other musicians" and I think that and the fact that a lot of Jazz has no vocals is a huge reason people don't like it. I know someone who has lots of fans around the country and many in other countries, but I have seen people look confused at his gigs- some just walk away. He has a hard time filling local clubs, partly because he has been playing here for over 30 years, many people have seen him many times and also, because the people in his age group have stopped going to clubs for live music. He sometimes plays over peoples' heads, if you know what I mean. He definitely isn't afraid to play outside of the normal harmony, that's for sure.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
This track sounds familiar- we have a college radio station that plays a ridiculously wide range of genres, with strong emphasis on Jazz & Blues, although I actually got into some Punk while I was working on my house- only had a clock radio and didn't bother to change the station and then, started to look forward to it. Punk came about when I was listening to a lot of Jazz & blues, so I had a hard time grasping it back then.

Cool, to see that your Grandfather was a touring musician- I have always liked Trombone.

At some point, I think the music should be more important than sound quality, but I have also known people who only listened to the so-called 'best recording quality records' without caring about the music. I worked with someone who only listened to Enya because he liked the way her records sounded.

I just bought a CD of Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain- it was one of the first 25 titles available and I worked for one of hte earliest Sony dealers- that one and 'Kind of Blue' were two that I listened to a lot while I worked and because the original versions were in mono, the background noise level was extremely low. Once they released the stereo version, that was very quiet, too. Mono vs stereo- I prefer mono to a bad stereo mix.

I watched a documentary about Les Paul and at one point, he said that after having several million-selling records, Miles Davis told him that he would kill for a million-seller. Paul replied with "You have to play for the people, Miles- you ca't just play for the other musicians" and I think that and the fact that a lot of Jazz has no vocals is a huge reason people don't like it. I know someone who has lots of fans around the country and many in other countries, but I have seen people look confused at his gigs- some just walk away. He has a hard time filling local clubs, partly because he has been playing here for over 30 years, many people have seen him many times and also, because the people in his age group have stopped going to clubs for live music. He sometimes plays over peoples' heads, if you know what I mean. He definitely isn't afraid to play outside of the normal harmony, that's for sure.
Miles Davis really hasn't caught on with me. His style just doesn't do it for me. I have tried to revisit it a few times and still no real feel for it.

Last few years has had me reflecting on how I enjoyed music during times of less than great equipment. It was indeed for the music. I was more accepting of the varying record qualities back then. I find this easier to do with vinyl, over digital though.

Instrumental music tends to scratch the itches that a lot of lyrical music passes by. A lot of bands I grew up with were often stingy with their guitar solos. I sure was glad the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai came out with plenty of the good lead stuff on tap. Instrumentals tend to help fill in performance gaps for me at times.

Punk, or the more progressive side of that, I can do some of. OTOH, electronic music is something I never cared for, but I found some that was recoded well and I ended up liking more of it than I thought possible.

highfigh

highfigh

Miles Davis really hasn't caught on with me. His style just doesn't do it for me. I have tried to revisit it a few times and still no real feel for it.

Last few years has had me reflecting on how I enjoyed music during times of less than great equipment. It was indeed for the music. I was more accepting of the varying record qualities back then. I find this easier to do with vinyl, over digital though.

Instrumental music tends to scratch the itches that a lot of lyrical music passes by. A lot of bands I grew up with were often stingy with their guitar solos. I sure was glad the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai came out with plenty of the good lead stuff on tap. Instrumentals tend to help fill in performance gaps for me at times.

Punk, or the more progressive side of that, I can do some of. OTOH, electronic music is something I never cared for, but I found some that was recoded well and I ended up liking more of it than I thought possible.
I get it- it's not a one kind fits all deal.

I don't know about you, but I look for music in a variety of instruments- I play guitar and bass, but I really like to listen to almost all instruments. I liked Andy Narell, who plays steel drums, but it's a bit more smooth Jazz than I prefer. Weather Report has been a favorite for a long time.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I get it- it's not a one kind fits all deal.

I don't know about you, but I look for music in a variety of instruments- I play guitar and bass, but I really like to listen to almost all instruments. I liked Andy Narell, who plays steel drums, but it's a bit more smooth Jazz than I prefer. Weather Report has been a favorite for a long time.
Yes. That's another thing I like to do when listening to music. If I hear a sound I like, I research it and see who specializes in it. Sometimes it's weird stuff, like contrabass. Sometimes it's double bass, cello, and French horns at other times. One day, I recalled going to Van Wezel PAH as a lad and hearing bassoons and I wanted to hear it again.

I like steel drum music. I was into a type of reggae recently that had it and it was nice. Marimba/vibraphone etc can be great as well. Like the vibraphone on Modern Jazz Quartet.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes. That's another thing I like to do when listening to music. If I hear a sound I like, I research it and see who specializes in it. Sometimes it's weird stuff, like contrabass. Sometimes it's double bass, cello, and French horns at other times. One day, I recalled going to Van Wezel PAH as a lad and hearing bassoons and I wanted to hear it again.

I like steel drum music. I was into a type of reggae recently that had it and it was nice. Marimba/vibraphone etc can be great as well. Like the vibraphone on Modern Jazz Quartet.
I was going to mention steel drums- I watched a couple of YT videos about someone who makes handpans- similar to steel drums, but the whole thing looks a bit like a flying saucer and the notes are played by tapping with fingers. The sound isn't as piercing as steel drums can be.

Andy Narell is one who plays steel drums in more of a Jazz context and Jaco Pastorius was a big backer of people who made these, as well as using them in his music.

Milt Jackson was sooooo good! He can also be heard on North Sea Jazz Festival recordings- this is with the Oscar Peterson Big Six-

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
You realize you posted in the headphone subforum, yeah?
lol. . .just found this thread here and wondered how I got the sub forum mixed up. I most likely was on my phone and thumbed the wrong one. I don't see very well after 35 yrs of welding and because of this, phones are a frustration for me. Most times I won't internet from it at all. I think I was away down south doing the drywall in my cousin's house and was away from my pc for 6 weekends in a row. Oops!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis