What could this be?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Those look very much like Salk Veracity ST speakers. How do I know? I have a pair. Those strips of solid cherry or maple along the front edges are standard on the VST.

Also, note the size of the mid-woofers vs. the tweeter. They're Seas Excel W16 Magnesium/Aluminum 6" drivers, expensive but very good. The Salk SuperCharged SongTower looks similar, but the Seas Excel W15 woofers are smaller, and handle less power.

The tweeter is the RAAL 70-20 ribbon, one of the best tweeters anywhere.

In 2016 I paid about $4,600 for mine. If you're looking to buy — and the price is right for you – snap them up! Ask the seller for the spiked feet, four per speaker. They were standard, but I don't see them in the photos above.
1713278744702.jpeg

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I just noticed this post. Did you get them? Congrats! :)
Couldn't pass on them when I saw them for sale. Perfect size and finish for the room they're going in. Will have them in place this evening and ready for a long session.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Those look very much like Salk Veracity ST speakers. How do I know? I have a pair. Those strips of solid cherry or maple along the front edges are standard on the VST.

Also, note the size of the mid-woofers vs. the tweeter. They're Seas Excel W16 Magnesium/Aluminum 6" drivers, expensive but very good. The Salk SuperCharged SongTower looks similar, but the Seas Excel W15 woofers are smaller, and handle less power.

The tweeter is the RAAL 70-20 ribbon, one of the best tweeters anywhere.

In 2016 I paid about $4,600 for mine. If you're looking to buy — and the price is right for you – snap them up! Ask the seller for the spiked feet, four per speaker. They were standard, but I don't see them in the photos above.
View attachment 66973
The price was real good and the only issue is on the corner of one the bases, which is a easy repair, paint and clear

Edit: the feet are here, just not installed yet.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
They're not finicky about room location, at least not in my room. The bass was good even when they were close to the wall behind them.

My AV receiver, 125 wpc, is enough power to drive them. But, I drive mine with a separate amp, 200 wpc, that I had before the Salks. It's more than enough. The Salk VST can easily handle more power than what I provide.

What speakers are you most used to listening to? Have fun.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
They're not finicky about room location, at least not in my room. The bass was good even when they were close to the wall behind them.

My AV receiver, 125 wpc, is enough power to drive them. But, I drive mine with a separate amp, 200 wpc, that I had before the Salks. It's more than enough. The Salk VST can easily handle more power than what I provide.

What speakers are you most used to listening to? Have fun.
My main stereo speakers are Song 3 Encores V1, and have a few other different speakers including BMR monitors V1. I'm convinced that TLs offer the best bass I've heard, so these will satisfy that urge. I e got a couple of Outlaw 2220 amps laying around, so I'll use them for now.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In 2012 or 2013, I was at the CAF audio show, when I heard the Joseph Audio Perspectives, with same Seas Excel mid-woofs and a very good Seas Excel dome tweeter. I liked them, but at the time, they cost over $13,000!

Later that day I dragged Jim Salk & Dennis Murphy to the Joseph Audio room to hear them. Jim said, "l like them too, but I'm not jealous. I can make them at less than half their price, with a better tweeter". Dennis agreed. In another year or so, I first saw the Veracity ST on Salk's webpage. Dennis said their crossovers were easy enough to design.

So, I played a small role in the development of these speakers ;).

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Dennis said this about the Veracity STs.
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/salk-sound-is-closing.127645/page-2#post-1613010
It's actually quite easy to trap out the breakup modes on the Seas magnesium drivers. It just takes a shunt circuit consisting of a capacitor and inductor. A resistor generally isn't necessary. I've inserted below the raw response of the W16, and then the response with a series inductor and the shunt trap circuit. The breakup modes are now at least 35 dB down, which will be inaudible on music. (Note that the vertical demarcations are 10 dB rather than the customary 5 dB, so the breakup looks less severe. That's the only way I could show where the breakup ends up after being trapped.)

The main objection to these drivers is that if you cross in the 1.8 kHz – 2.0 kHz region, which is about as low as you would want to go without a tweeter waveguide, the 3rd order distortion products in the region of 1.6 kHz will be smack in the middle of the breakup, and this will increase the 3rd order distortion over what it would be without the breakup. I think it's around 1%. Purists would certainly object to that, but I don't think it's audible.
1713282566604.png

1713282580053.png

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
In 2012 or 2013, I was at the CAF audio show, when I heard the Joseph Audio Perspectives, with same Seas Excel mid-woofs and a very good Seas Excel dome tweeter. I liked them, but at the time, they cost over $13,000!

Later that day I dragged Jim Salk & Dennis Murphy to the Joseph Audio room to hear them. Jim said, "l like them too, but I'm not jealous. I can make them at less than half their price, with a better tweeter". Dennis agreed. In another year or so, I first saw the Veracity ST on Salk's webpage. Dennis said their crossovers were easy enough to design.

So, I played a small role in the development of these speakers ;).
Well we certainly appreciate your contribution to this model :D.

I haven't spent much time with tweeter, just the 64-10, and expect it to be slightly better and have been a fan of the excel line for a while, so I'm really excited to listen...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My main stereo speakers are Song 3 Encores V1, and have a few other different speakers including BMR monitors V1. I'm convinced that TLs offer the best bass I've heard, so these will satisfy that urge. I e got a couple of Outlaw 2220 amps laying around, so I'll use them for now.
The Song 3 Encores are not a bad speaker! Salk couldn't make a mass loaded TL cabinet for those 8" woofers without it being enormous.

You will find some differences in sound between a 3-way and an MTM 2-way. But like most of Dennis's designs, they sound more similar than different, especially in the mid-range.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't spent much time with tweeter, just the 64-10, and expect it to be slightly better and have been a fan of the excel line for a while, so I'm really excited to listen...
You may not hear any differences between those two ribbon tweeters. In Dennis's hands, they will sound surprisingly similar. With your Song 3s and the BMR monitors, you are probably already familiar with that.

In the Salk 3 3-way speakers, the mid-range driver allows a higher crossover frequency to the tweeter than in the 2-way Veracity STs. The 64-10 cannot go as low without audible distortion as the 70-20 can. But it doesn't need to, and it costs significantly less.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You may not hear any differences between those two ribbon tweeters. In Dennis's hands, they will sound surprisingly similar. With your Song 3s and the BMR monitors, you are probably already familiar with that.

In the Salk 3 3-way speakers, the mid-range driver allows a higher crossover frequency to the tweeter than in the 2-way Veracity STs. The 64-10 cannot go as low without audible distortion as the 70-20 can. But it doesn't need to, and it costs significantly less.
The Songs are the 3e with the Satori beryllium tweeter and 9.5" woofer, and the Eton midrange, not the AT and I enjoy them immensely, but it was that TL bass that I was still after. I'd love to have both the Songs and the VSTs in the same room to fast switch, but I don't see me moving either 1400 miles, lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed, there is little to nothing audible between the 64-10 and the 70-10 Raals. Similarly, not much difference between the BMR (Mid) Driver and the BG Neo8 Planar of the Phil 3s... Audibly, that is. ;)

Dennis wasn't kidding by much when he questions why people want a big Tower instead of the BMR Monitors. :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed, there is little to nothing audible between the 64-10 and the 70-10 Raals. Similarly, not much difference between the BMR (Mid) Driver and the BG Neo8 Planar of the Phil 3s... Audibly, that is. ;)

Dennis wasn't kidding by much when he questions why people want a big Tower instead of the BMR Monitors. :)
I'd like to hear the BMR tower and your 3s in the same room, curious about the two different boxes and any effect that they might have.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'd like to hear the BMR tower and your 3s in the same room, curious about the two different boxes and any effect that they might have.
Knowing Dennis' preselection and voicing preferences, little to none.

I agree, though, it would be very cool to put them together in the same room. While we're at it, throw in the HT Tower to see how that compares!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis