Gramophone Magazine
September 2021
Editor's Choice

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Today on 911, a tribute.

Robert Moran: Trinity Requiem

Trinity Youth Chorus, Musica Sacra, The Esoterics, Grassauer Blaserensemble, Iowa Percussion, Robert Ridgell, Richard Westenburg, Eric Banks

Release Date: 6th Sep 2011
Catalogue No: INNOVA244
Label: Innova
Length: 67 minutes

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Prémices, Songs by Debussy, Schönberg, Strauss and Rihm

Sheva Tehoval, Daniel Heide

Release Date: 24th Sep 2021
Catalogue No: 732516
Label: Avi Music
Length: 63 minutes

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Found a box full of CD's I had almost forgotten about, played this sampler today (from Classic CD Magazine)

IMG_3648.JPG

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Mozart: String Quartets Dedicated To Joseph Haydn

Cuarteto Casals (string quartet)

Release Date: 3rd Sep 2021
Catalogue No: HMM902654
Label: Harmonia Mundi
Length: 83 minutes

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Magnificat

Øyvind Gimse (artistic director), Lise Granden Berg (soprano), Cecilie Ertzaas Overrein (soprano), Magne H. Draagen (organ), Maria Naess (piano), Else Bonesrønning (soprano), Ola Gjeilo (piano)

Nidarosdomens jentekor, TrondheimSolistene, Anita Brevik

Release Date: 15th Dec 2014
Catalogue No: 2L106
Label: 2L
Length: 67 minutes

jinjuku

jinjuku

Two albums right now:

George Bizet's Carmen for Orchestra

Stravinsky Firebird Ballet 1945

I

IanU

Audioholic Intern
Twitter

1792 is a magical date in the history of Vienna. In that year, a young and talented artist, only 22 years old, arrived from Bonn: Ludwig van Beethoven. “Perhaps he will be able to fill the tremendous void left here by Mozart’s death last year,” some people must have thought.
But eyewitness accounts of Beethoven’s first performances tell us that he received only mixed reactions from the Viennese audiences. They admired his innovative sonorities and amazing improvisations, but were more shocked than pleased by the unrestrained, even hectoring quality of his compositions. No, most of the Viennese greeted this new music with incomprehension. Too blunt, too unconventional, too wild, too assertive. “It cannot be denied that this gentleman goes his own way. But what a strange and laborious way it is. Not a trace of melody, everything sounds like a struggle. There is a constant seeking after strange modulations, unpleasant combinations, and a heaping-up of difficulties so that one loses not only all one’s patience but any possibility of enjoyment.”
Beethoven’s dry response: “They understand nothing.” His time had not yet come. Beethoven, of course was eagerly breaking new ground. That was no less true with the sonatas for cello and piano. In the ten sonatas for violin and piano, Beethoven could look back on an established tradition, and the violin was completely familiar as a virtuoso instrument. The cello, too, had assumed the same role by the end of the 18th century, thanks to barnstorming cellists like Duport, Bréval, Boccherini, and Anton Kraft.
Beethoven was 26 years old when he dedicated his Sonatas op. 5 for cello and piano to King Friedrich Wilhelm II of Prussia. Seven years earlier, Mozart had visited the ruler in Potsdam. Beethoven allowed himself a large measure of freedom in the formal design of these works: for example, in the Sonata op. 5 nr. 2, an expansive Adagio gradually introduces a fast movement, which is followed by another fast movement that concludes the work.
From the very beginning it is clear that Beethoven has a dramatic plan in mind for this sonata. Mood and atmosphere are gloomy, searching, and full of foreboding. Cello and piano carry on a dialogue which suggests that they are planning a complete symphony together. And that ‘symphony’ concerns a world of shadows. Not until the last movement does a kind of dawn appear, and the nightly cares seem to be forgotten. A pleasing balance is established between the instruments. The piano, for Beethoven, remains the typical virtuoso instrument, but it does so without impeding the cello or reducing it to the status of a mere accompanist.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I have just managed to obtain a good used copy of the above CD.

This is a setting of the Poem, the Song of Hiawatha, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. This has connections to this area of Minnesota south of Lake Superior and the Ojibwe people. Hiawatha Falls is in Minneapolis. Longfellow's source of information was very much from the controversial Henry Schoolcraft, who along with his Indian guide, discovered the headwaters of the Mississippi at Lake Itasca. That is about 20 miles north of our former lake home on Lake Benedict. In recent years Longfellow's poem has faced significant criticism.

The composer, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor was the son of a physician from Sierra Leone and an English mother. He was born in 1875 but unfortunately died young of pneumonia at the age of 38.

He studied at the Royal college of music under Sir Charles Villiers Stanford, who thought highly of him. Contemporaries at the Royal College were no less than Gustav Holst and Ralph Vaughan Williams. In fact at the premier of his first symphony, Gustav Holst played the Trombone and Vaughan Williams was in the percussion section.

Anyhow this work Hiawatha's Wedding Feast was very popular until the early 1950s. Sir Malcolm Sargent was a great proponent of the work and conducted many performances.

This performance is therefore truly historic. It was recorded in 1962. The sound though is superb, with veteran recording engineer Christopher Parker at the mix panel.

This disc is just another showing how in so many ways we have one backwards, in the art of recording.

Sir Malcolm Sargent was a great character, and known widely by his nickname "Flash". Sir Adrian Boult, Sir Thomas Beecham, and Sir John Barbirolli were contemporaries. Of those Sargent, Beecham and Barbirolli were really great and very humorous characters, in their own unique way.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
download.jpg
This is a multi-channel SACD I ordered from Amazon back in December. It did not arrive on date as expected and I was advised by the seller it was lost in shipping. Two weeks later to my surprise it was in my mailbox and, being so excited, in just a few minutes I had it in the disc drawer of my OPPO-205 playing out through my surround sound system. It sounded really nice in all manner of nice. Yet today just for grins and giggles I dropped the SACD into my Sony UBP-X800Mk2 for stereo DSD output to a very inexpensive Marantz NR1200 running as a 2.1 preamp/DAC to my surround sound system's bypass, and I've got to tell you I was floored by the most magnificent sound, apparently a product of synergy between the recording's mastering, DSD output and the Marantz's DAC. At any rate, this SACD is the best of many performances of The Nutcracker that I have heard, and I have heard many. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
View attachment 53960 This is a multi-channel SACD I ordered from Amazon back in December. It did not arrive on date as expected and I was advised by the seller it was lost in shipping. Two weeks later to my surprise it was in my mailbox and, being so excited, in just a few minutes I had it in the disc drawer of my OPPO-205 playing out through my surround sound system. It sounded really nice in all manner of nice. Yet today just for grins and giggles I dropped the SACD into my Sony UBP-X800Mk2 for stereo DSD output to a very inexpensive Marantz NR1200 running as a 2.1 preamp/DAC to my surround sound system's bypass, and I've got to tell you I was floored by the most magnificent sound, apparently a product of synergy between the recording's mastering, DSD output and the Marantz's DAC. At any rate, this SACD is the best of many performances of The Nutcracker that I have heard, and I have heard many. I highly recommend it.
Should you want to watch an excellent performance of that ballet from a Blu-ray disc, this is the one to get, recorded in 2012 with audio in DTS 5.1 and Dolby 5.1:

Nutcracker.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
PBS tv had the 25th anniversary production of Les Miserables performed at the O2 arena in the UK. Huge cast and a fabulous production. Blue-ray of this would be very nice.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
PBS tv had the 25th anniversary production of Les Miserables performed at the O2 arena in the UK. Huge cast and a fabulous production. Blue-ray of this would be very nice.
Great production and singers (Matt Lucas as Thenardier was a surprise, knew he had comic chops but didn't know he could sing). Only vocal weak link was Nick Jonas. Not that he's "pitchy", but his voice just doesn't have the meat or projection power of the other cast members' voices (mostly musical-theater voices).

I bought both the blu ray and digital streaming copy last year. Blu ray has DTS Master Audio and digital (bought separately on Vudu) has Dolby Digital Plus.

1934175_so.jpg

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Remarkably, not sure why, I was mostly oblivious to Les Mis from the 80s until I saw this 25th Anniv last year on PBS -- except for that Seinfeld episode where George can't get "Master of the House" out of his head.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis