What Classical are you listening to?

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
German soprano Erna Berger (1900-1990). A beautiful, beautiful voice.
1532732032804.png

This was probably recorded during the 1940s, so the date on the cover is evidently a publication date.

She retired at 60 after making her final recording. Still doing well when she was age 80 as you can see and hear below:

Last edited:
Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Great voice for Baroque -- very authoritative...Magdalena Kozena.

Magdalena Kozena - Vivaldi.jpg

Last edited:
Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Karita Mattila -- Big opera and recital star new to me. Her voice compares very well to Anne Sophie Von Otter (IMHO).
1532887315346.png

Lasse Mårtenson composer
Karita Mattila singer
Riku Niemi conductor

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Karita Mattila -- Big opera and recital star new to me. Her voice compares very well to Anne Sophie Von Otter (IMHO).
View attachment 25203
Lasse Mårtenson composer
Karita Mattila singer
Riku Niemi conductor
It cannot entirely compare with Anne Sophie Von Otter's voice, Karita is a soprano and Anne Sophie is a mezzo soprano. They both have a splendid voice and use it with intelligence and musicality. :)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
King of Instruments.jpg
Fantaisie.jpg
Guillou.jpg
Poulenc Linn.jpg

- King of Instruments (Delos label -DE3503)

- Fantaisie Triomphale (Chandos Hybrid SACD - CHSA5048)

- Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition (Dorian -DOR-90117)

- Poulenc: Concerto for Organ ( Gillian Weir, organ-English Chamber Orch. Linn label)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
IMG_1699.JPG

Alexander Zemlinsky - The Mermaid
Psalm XIII, op.24

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
It cannot entirely compare with Anne Sophie Von Otter's voice, Karita is a soprano and Anne Sophie is a mezzo soprano. They both have a splendid voice and use it with intelligence and musicality. :)
Well, darn, Von Otter certainly is a mezzo. Thanks for pointing that out. As much as I've listen to her recordings, I have always mistakenly believed she was a soprano, just one with a big range. So much for my musical discernment! As, they say, it ain't what we don't know, it's just that we know so much that ain't true.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
“I have the most beautiful voice in the world.” That was Zinka’s appraisal of her own voice. Who am I to argue with such a source? Besides, she did. (From a BLOG I read this morning.)
1533162919849.png
1533162982209.png

"Zinka Milanov (1906-1989) was a Croatian-born operatic spinto soprano who had a major career centered on the Metropolitan Opera in New York City. After finishing her education in Zagreb, Milanov made her debut in 1927 in Ljubljana as Leonora in Giuseppe Verdi's Il Trovatore."
***Had to look up "spinto soprano." --> "A spinto soprano is a type of operatic soprano voice that has the limpidity and easy high notes of a lyric soprano, yet can be "pushed" on to achieve dramatic climaxes without strain. This type of voice may possess a somewhat darker timbre, too, than the average lyric soprano. It generally uses squillo to "slice" through the sound of a full orchestra, rather than singing over the orchestra like a true dramatic soprano."

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
“I have the most beautiful voice in the world.” That was Zinka’s appraisal of her own voice. Who am I to argue with such a source? Besides, she did. (From a BLOG I read this morning.)
View attachment 25265View attachment 25266
"Zinka Milanov (1906-1989) was a Croatian-born operatic spinto soprano who had a major career centered on the Metropolitan Opera in New York City. After finishing her education in Zagreb, Milanov made her debut in 1927 in Ljubljana as Leonora in Giuseppe Verdi's Il Trovatore."
***Had to look up "spinto soprano." --> "A spinto soprano is a type of operatic soprano voice that has the limpidity and easy high notes of a lyric soprano, yet can be "pushed" on to achieve dramatic climaxes without strain. This type of voice may possess a somewhat darker timbre, too, than the average lyric soprano. It generally uses squillo to "slice" through the sound of a full orchestra, rather than singing over the orchestra like a true dramatic soprano."
Ah yes! She had a powerful and mellow voice. I have a few Verdi operas with her: in the Forza del destino, The "Pace, pace mio Dio" area, the high notes are smooth as a violin in the likes of Caballé, and I'm just having thrills as I am writing this to answer you.:)

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Oda Slobodskaya - Russian soprano, 1888 – 1970
1533163811410.png

From Wikipedia: "Slobodskaya had a voice of immense purity, steadiness, agility and expressiveness with an almost incandescent quality above the stave. As a recitalist, she possessed the imagination and vivid temperament to convey to an audience ignorant of Russian the precise mood of each song, whether elegiac, boisterous, satirical or childlike. As her many recordings reveal, these rare interpretative powers were matched by a beautiful and ample voice of characteristically Slavonic colour and by a technical mastery which showed itself especially in supple and sustained legato phrasing. She retained her vocal and interpretative powers to an advanced age."

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Bidu.jpg

Balduína "Bidu" de Oliveira Sayão was a Brazilian opera soprano. One of Brazil's most famous musicians, Sayão was a leading artist of the Metropolitan Opera in New York City from 1937 to 1952.
She persuaded her old friend Villa-Lobos to transcribe for soprano what had originally been a violin solo and the first recording of Bachiana Brasileira No. 5 became the recording that everyone knows, and that introduced her voice to people for decades.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
View attachment 25284

Balduína "Bidu" de Oliveira Sayão was a Brazilian opera soprano. One of Brazil's most famous musicians, Sayão was a leading artist of the Metropolitan Opera in New York City from 1937 to 1952.
She persuaded her old friend Villa-Lobos to transcribe for soprano what had originally been a violin solo and the first recording of Bachiana Brasileira No. 5 became the recording that everyone knows, and that introduced her voice to people for decades.
Thanks! New to me, and her voice is stunning to say the very least. I have been listening to her albums on Spotify today. What a gift she had!! Seems like there is nothing that she could not do. Only problem is that many of her recordings were made in the 1930s and 1940s with infant recording technology. Sweet, sweet voice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis