rack04

Junior Audioholic
I will soon be buying the following components:

Panasonic 34" Widescreen HDTV CT34WX54
Onkyo 6.1-Channel TXSR502
Yamaha Progressive Scan DVD/CD/MP3 DV-S5650
Klipsch Synergy Center Channel SC-1
Klipsch Synergy Bookshelf SB-1

What cables will I need to purchase to hook up the above shopping list?

Here is a picture of the back of the receiver.
Here is a picture of the back of the DVD Player

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

2 sets of component video cables - 1 for DVD player to receiver and 1 for receiver to TV.

1 Optical or Coax digital audio for dvd player to receiver.
Won't matter as receiver and dvd player have both. The 502 has only one coax input so you might want to use optical for the dvd player and keep the coax available for another device - like a STB (many have coax and not optical outs). That's how mine is connected.

If you do have a cable box, you will also want to connect Analog cables from the box to the receiver as the majority of channels still have analog audio even on 'digital' cable.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
I will have a digital cable box. Though I still have a couple questions:

1.) What is the benefit of hooking the DVD player to the receiver instead of directly to the TV?
2.) How do I hook up the TV so the audio will go through the receiver as well as the TV speakers?
3.) What is STB?
4.) What brand of cables should I use?

J

Jdrumstik

Audiophyte
in case you havn't figured this out you sould drop by home depot and buy some speaker cables, 12 gauge is good, but 16 works fine and is cheaper. Make sure that one of the two wires has writting and the other one doesn't then designate the marked side positive terminal (red) or negetive it doesn't really matter. so make sure that the written side consistantly stays positive and this will insure an accurate sounding system with more bass, its called wiring in phase.and don't worry about all of that oxidation crap cause it isn't really a problem.

U

Unregistered

1.) What is the benefit of hooking the DVD player to the receiver instead of directly to the TV?
Convenient switching. If you hook all devices to the receiver it will automatically switch when you change inputs on the receiver (you only need to use 1 input on the tv). If you hook the dvd player directly to the tv, you will have to change inputs on the tv as well when you switch from cable to dvd to other video source. Some will argue that a direct connection to the tv will yield better picture quality, but I've never seen any discernible difference.

2.) How do I hook up the TV so the audio will go through the receiver as well as the TV speakers?
You need to run audio cables from the tv audio out to the receiver. There are a number of possibilities depending on how you hook up the cable box and tv; ie do you want to be able to listen to cable channels without the tv on, do you want to be able to use the tv speakers without the cable box on, etc.

3.) What is STB?
Set Top Box. Generic acronym for any box that is used to tune cable channels, satellite channels, etc. Some provide DVR (Digital Video Recorder) functions; others like a regular digital cable box do not. Its just a short hand for any such box.

4.) What brand of cables should I use?
Any reasonably priced, well made cable. Low end Monster, Acoustic Research can be bought at stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. Online retailers like partsexpress and blue jeans cables sell quality cables at a resonable price too. Stay away from exotic and expensive cables (like the 'higher-end' Monster) - you likely won't notice any difference other than the whole in your wallet after buying them.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
1.) So what you're saying is the I can have multiple video devices hook up to the receiver (i.e. DVD, video1 and video2) and with a push of a button on the remote control it will select which one to output to the tv? If this is correct then the should only be one video output on the receiver. What will this output be labeled? Take a look at this pic of my receiver.

2.) What I am trying to accomplish is having the TV hooked up to the receiver so I will be able to have the surround sound speakers, as well as the tv speakers working on regular tv. Do cable boxes have an audio out or will I have to use the audio out on the tv to hook up to the receiver?

3.) Does this TV have a built in HD box or will I have to purchase on seperatly?

4.) There are numerous types of component cables at www.bluejeanscables.com, which kind is the best value? What is RCA and BNC?

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

rack04 said:
1.) So what you're saying is the I can have multiple video devices hook up to the receiver (i.e. DVD, video1 and video2) and with a push of a button on the remote control it will select which one to output to the tv? If this is correct then the should only be one video output on the receiver. What will this output be labeled?
There are multiple video outs on that receiver (like most receivers). I don't need to look at that pic - I have the tx-sr502 myself. :)

The section marked 'monitor out' has composite video and s-video outs. You would use that out if you connect the receiver to the tv using composite or s-video (can't use both - one or the other). The catch is that the receiver will not upconvert, so if you use s-video on monitor out, ALL of your source devices must be connected to the receiver using s-video (if you want the receiver to be able to switch for you).

Your dvd player has component outs and that tv has component ins. Therefore you could use component connections for the best picture quality. You would use the component 'out' (left side of receiver) to connect to the receiver. But again, the receiver cannot upconvert so if you have ANY other devices that do not have component outs you will have to use s-video if you want the receiver to switch for you.

rack04 said:
2.) What I am trying to accomplish is having the TV hooked up to the receiver so I will be able to have the surround sound speakers, as well as the tv speakers working on regular tv. Do cable boxes have an audio out or will I have to use the audio out on the tv to hook up to the receiver?
Yes, cable boxes have audio outs. Newer ones have coax or optical digital out, which you MUST use if you want to get Dolby Digital feeds from your cable box. IMO, you should forget about using the tv speakers at all. If you want surround sound, always use the receiver. You can make the tv speakers work for stereo - but you then have to route all audio to the tv as I explained before.

rack04 said:
3.) Does this TV have a built in HD box or will I have to purchase on seperatly?
No built in tuner, thats why it is called a MONITOR. When you see the word monitor you know the tv has no built in hdtv tuner. If you subscribe to cable (digital or hdtv) the cable company rents you a box. You generally cannot buy your own box because that box will not be 'authorized' on the cable network and will not work.

rack04 said:
4.) There are numerous types of component cables at www.bluejeanscables.com, which kind is the best value? What is RCA and BNC?
RCA and BNC refer to the connectors at the end of the cable. RCA connectors are the normal connectors you are used to seeing. RCA connectors can be found on analog audio cables, composite video cables, component video cables, digital audio (coax) cables, etc. Don't worry about BNC - you don't need them and none of your devices can use them. Read other threads for cable recommendations. I just use the low end Monster because they are cheap and reasonably well made and available locally.

U

Unregistered

My hookup to give you an idea...

Here is how I am setup to give you a better idea of what can be done:

TV - 32" Toshiba CRT (analog, not HDTV)
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR502
DVD - Onkyo DV-SP301
Cable - Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 (digital cable)

Receiver s-video Monitor Out to TV video 1 input.

Cable box s-video out to receiver video 2 input.
Cable box digital audio (coax) out to receiver coax digital in
Cable box analog audio out to receiver video 2 input.
[Because not all channels have digital audio!]

DVD s-video out to receiver dvd input
DVD optical audio out to receiver optical 1 input.
DVD analog audio out to receiver dvd input [analog is necessary to be able to record to another device such as vcr and to use Onkyo's RI feature - not necessary if you don't record or care to use the RI feature.]

When I select dvd on the receiver, I see it on the tv.
When I select video2 (cable box) on the receiver, I see it on the tv. I never have to switch inputs on the tv.

My cable box does not have component video outs. If I wanted to use component video for the dvd, I would hook it up to component video 1 input on the receiver and then hook up component video out on the receiver to the tv. But then I would have to change the tv input to the component input to watch dvds and change back to the tv s-video input when watching cable. I chose not to at this time because I prefer the convenience of letting the receiver do the switching.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
This is probably a dumb question buy why have you choosen video2 for the cable box instead on video1? What are "ANY other devices", because the only components that I will have is the receiver, DVD, and 5.1 speakers? Do most digital cable boxes come with HD, this may be something that I need to call Time Warner about?

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Because video1 is the only video section on the 502 has an output. If I were to use video1 for the cable box, then I could not record anything coming in video1 because the Onkyo will not output video from video1 when there is something input there. If you look at alot of receivers you will see that this seems to be the convention now - Video1 has outputs and Video2 thru N have inputs only.

Any other devices means any devices other than the ones you currently have. Like if you bought yourself an XBox or PS/2 or VCR or Video Recorder, etc.

Time Warner offers standard analog cable, digital cable, and High Def cable. I have digital cable only. They offer multiple different boxes for each subscription type. You can use the High Def box without subscribing to High Def because it can decode Standard Def signals as well and they'll give it to you if it has inputs you need that the others don't. If you don't pay for HD, you won't be able to view HD channels, but the SD channels will work.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
So what is the difference in the video1 outputs and the monitor out? Why are you worried with recording when you don't have a vcr hooked up?

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Video signals received by the video inputs are output by the Monitor out so you can see them on your display. This is the output that switches for composite and s-video signals connected to dvd, video2, or video3. The component out switches between component in 1 and component in 2. Can't use them at the same time though because the receiver can't upconvert composite or s-video to component.

Video 1 outputs video and audio. The audio and video from any video device is always output to video1. The audio from any audio device is always output to the video1 audio outs and tape 2 outs. You can only record to devices connected to video 1 out or tape out.

U

Unregistered

rack04 said:
Why are you worried with recording when you don't have a vcr hooked up?
I want the OPTION to be able to record. If I had used video1 for the cable box and then decided to hook up a vcr, I would have to move the cable box to video2 Might as well just use video2 to begin with.

Look it doesn't matter what the name of the input is. I could hook the cable box up to the dvd input.

I've tried to explain the concepts. You will need to learn about all these things regardless of which receiver/dvd/cable box you choose. Modern a/v equipment is very flexible (and VERY similar). If you understand the concepts you can hook it up in the manner best suited for your needs.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Unregistered said:
Cable box s-video out to receiver video 2 input.
Cable box digital audio (coax) out to receiver coax digital in
Cable box analog audio out to receiver video 2 input.
[Because not all channels have digital audio!
So if the channel has digital audio it will send it signal through the coax instead of the analog?

U

Unregistered

"So if the channel has digital audio it will send it signal through the coax instead of the analog?"

Yes. The 502 and most all receivers I've seen work like this:

If there is a digital signal only, it is output to the digital out (either coax or optical, whichever one you have connected)

If there is an analog signal only, it is output over the analog outs. If you have only the digital out connected, you will hear nothing in this case. This is the number one problem people post about with their digital cable.

If there are both analog and digital signals, it chooses the digital signal and outputs over the digital out (automatically).

If you get digital cable you should hook up both analog and digital cables and the receiver will take care of selecting the digital signal when it is present and analog when it is not.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Is it possible to have analog audio out of the cable box to TV audio in and digital coax out of cable box to receiver? What I am trying to do is connect the digital cable box to the tv so that I could use the tv speakers when the receiver is turned off. I would also have to have TV analog audio out to the receiver audio in to receive analog only signal through the receiver. If I connect it in this way would I be receiving digital audio through the receiver when it is turned on?

U

Unregistered

Yes, that would work.

One caveat though. Most tvs do not pass the audio to the audio out jacks unless the tv is on. With that hookup you will not be able to listen to a cable channel without having the tv on. So say you wanted to listen to VH1 (analog) as you fall asleep on the couch but don't want to be bothered by the bright lights from the video. Can't do it with that hookup because the tv has to be on.

I do that with the digital music channels late at night (TV off, music playing through receiver and speakers). The digital channels would still work that way with your hookup, just not analog channels. Maybe not a big deal but something to consider.

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the input, but I don't see myself listening to the digital music stations with the tv off.

U

Unregistered

Tuner in the receiver

Hi all,
I read this thread from which I learnt a lot. Thanks. Now I have a question
in relation to onkyo SR502. I bought this receiver recently. The problem I am
having is that I am not able to get any radio station AM or FM. I am using
the antenna that came with the receiver. I am able to get these stations
on my boom box. What do I need to do to get this working?

Also, Is it possible to use sr502 to video dub, vha to vhs? If so, connection info,
pl?

Regards.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis