What bookshelf would you pick?

If you had to choose between one of these bookshelf speakers what would it be?

• KEF LS50

• HSU CCB-8

• Focal Aria 906

• SVS Ultra

• Sierra-1

Results are only viewable after voting.
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
W/O a doubt. The LS50's would easily be my choice!

Cheers,

Phil

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
None of the above.

Maybe a Sierra2.

But I'll hold where I am. BMRs, CB, B M m-f'n Rs! :cool:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@Good4it I have owned the SVS Ultra standmounts. But, from the list above I would most certainly opt for the KEF LS50's. Have seen the KEF R300's B-stock over @Acc4Less for $1K and they are also being considered. Not going to spend more than $1K. Also looking at the Dyn Emit M20's. BTW, the Ultras were phenomenal speakers. Best metal dome tweeter that I have ever heard/owned.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have Sierra-1s (with NrT tweeters), like them a lot, haven't heard the others. The SVS Ultra and the KEF LS50 get a lot of positive comments, haven't heard much about the other two. Would like to listen to all before I voted. Also would this be for a simple 2ch setup or multich? Used with subs or not? SPL requirements?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed.

@snakeeyes got me thinking about a bedroom set up but I can't afford that now. Ya the Sierra2's do look very nice. For the poll I was trying to keep the budget in the $800-1k range.
Gotcha. Between those 5, it would come down to Ultras and Focals I think. I know Shady likes his CCB-8s a lot, though. ;) I'm over the uni-q driver.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have a pair of Infinity Primus P163s but I wouldn't pick those. Haven't heard any of the speakers listed above but ProAc bookshelf speakers always sounded pretty excellent to me.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I have 2 LS50s and am not impressed but my other ones are BMRs and they are .o_O

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Without a sub, I would probably lean towards the Sierra 1s, it's nice and compact with a lot of bass slam. With a sub, probably the LS50.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I could easily agree with you if it weren't for all those laurels, hall-of-fame praises, myriads of awards and three sides of the world agreeing they are remarkable.
When I bought them, I wanted to find some in depth specs and reviews for safe keeping and to use when changing set up or if I ever decide to sell them. The amount reputable and respectable good reviews is just silly. You can't dodge them.
What is even sillier is that the bad reviews are never that bad for this model. So even the people who don't prefer their sound are not blind to the fact that they really work well.
In my case, it was even better than that; what some might call slightly bright in LS50 is exactly what I like and always liked in stereo equipment.
I am intrigued by what you say here for the Phil's and Salks and so on. I'm VERY intrigued, but I doubt I'll get the chance unless Mr. Murphy plans an European tour.
Nevertheless, I would imagine Phil's to sound bright to some if they are as accurate. Accuracy is often perceived as a tad brighter.
(I know a tad is not the most technical term:D:D:D)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Toeach his own. I put a pair of Aperion Grand Verses II that I had and they sound better to me.
I'm glad for you. I see impressive slightly different, I can be impressed with something I don't like. Mercedes, for example. I doon't like it, but...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I could easily agree with you if it weren't for all those laurels, hall-of-fame praises, myriads of awards and three sides of the world agreeing they are remarkable.
When I bought them, I wanted to find some in depth specs and reviews for safe keeping and to use when changing set up or if I ever decide to sell them. The amount reputable and respectable good reviews is just silly. You can't dodge them.
What is even sillier is that the bad reviews are never that bad for this model. So even the people who don't prefer their sound are not blind to the fact that they really work well.
In my case, it was even better than that; what some might call slightly bright in LS50 is exactly what I like and always liked in stereo equipment.
I am intrigued by what you say here for the Phil's and Salks and so on. I'm VERY intrigued, but I doubt I'll get the chance unless Mr. Murphy plans an European tour.
Nevertheless, I would imagine Phil's to sound bright to some if they are as accurate. Accuracy is often perceived as a tad brighter.
(I know a tad is not the most technical term:D:D:D)
You could plan an American tour :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis