What Bluray player to get?

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
I am considering the Panasonic UB420-k that is currently on sale at Bestbuy for $150. How does it stack up against the x700?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am considering the Panasonic UB420-k that is currently on sale at Bestbuy for $150. How does it stack up against the x700?
No SACD so it does not stack up at all. Get the Sony and buy some multi-channel SACDs. Have fun.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have the x700. Occasionally it freezes up with Netflix, when scrolling through the NF catalog for a few minutes. I have to reboot it (unplug/replug unit). Other than that it boots up pretty quickly and runs smoothly once a program/movie starts streaming.
Does it ever freeze up with physical Blu-Ray Discs?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the high-end Panasonic models are considered to be better than the high-end Sony models.

But I think at the $200 range, they are about the same.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have the x700. Occasionally it freezes up with Netflix, when scrolling through the NF catalog for a few minutes. I have to reboot it (unplug/replug unit). Other than that it boots up pretty quickly and runs smoothly once a program/movie starts streaming.
I've gotten stuttering due to ISP more than the app in use, as it happens on all of them occasionally, even with a recent change to a much faster/more capable service....so wouldn't blame that on the players particularly myself. I get it on Fire Sticks or my bluray players with apps.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Does it ever freeze up with physical Blu-Ray Discs?
I’ve had my Sony 700 freeze up on a 4K disc, GOT season 8, 3rd Episode. At first I thought it was the player but I found that it’s the disc, cause it freezes at the same spot and time. To get through the freeze up spot just waited a few seconds maybe like 20 and it just would stop. Played it back to that point and freezes up again so I started it from the beginning but this time I fast forward it to Jump the spot it worked did that a few times and started from the beginning and played though the freeze up spot with no issues. Don’t know why but now all good. I have read reviews of 4k movie disc freezing up on movies some getting returned and getting the new one in and freezing up. Oh I did play just the blu-ray not the 4 K version of season 8 of GOT and no issues.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve had my Sony 700 freeze up on a 4K disc, GOT season 8, 3rd Episode. At first I thought it was the player but I found that it’s the disc, cause it freezes at the same spot and time. To get through the freeze up spot just waited a few seconds maybe like 20 and it just would stop. Played it back to that point and freezes up again so I started it from the beginning but this time I fast forward it to Jump the spot it worked did that a few times and started from the beginning and played though the freeze up spot with no issues. Don’t know why but now all good. I have read reviews of 4k movie disc freezing up on movies some getting returned and getting the new one in and freezing up. Oh I did play just the blu-ray not the 4 K version of season 8 of GOT and no issues.
Hmm, maybe it's the HDR that's causing the video freeze on the 4K BD. The 2K BD version is only SDR.

HDMI and HDR can be naughty. :D

D

depechefan

Audioholic
+1 for the Sony 700. Interface is pretty slow but picture and audio are both very good. Just tested playing some dsf files and that works well also.

L

Ljutic

Enthusiast
I got a year and a half out of my 700 Sony before it died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
I've gotten stuttering due to ISP more than the app in use, as it happens on all of them occasionally, even with a recent change to a much faster/more capable service....so wouldn't blame that on the players particularly myself. I get it on Fire Sticks or my bluray players with apps.
Strange, but it's never happened with other apps like Vudu, youtube, or Amazon Prime Video. Just Netflix. And non-ISP stuttering hasn't happened with the NF app on my Samsung tablet or LG phone. Just with the NF app on the x700.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Strange, but it's never happened with other apps like Vudu, youtube, or Amazon Prime Video. Just Netflix. And non-ISP stuttering hasn't happened with the NF app on my Samsung tablet or LG phone. Just with the NF app on the x700.
Some other users around of the 700x but don't believe I've seen that particular complaint. Maybe they can chime in....

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I've been using a LG UBK90 for the past couple of years, it replaced a twice replaced Sony 800 that is a useless piece of junk that froze on every disk even the replacement player. The LG has briefly frozen, perhaps 3 seconds then continued...a recently released 4k disk, forgot the name of the movie...otherwise never a freeze and works perfectly.
The user interface is blah and I don''t use the apps...my TV does a much better job...
I've considered replacing it with a Panasonic but have read about some freezes, etc. on their dedicated forums and decided why spend a lot of extra money on a device that is marginally better when mine works great.

P

POKOTADISA

Audiophyte
I had horrible handshake issues with Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox the 800 going into my (at the time) Sony receiver and Sony tv. Movie playback was fine but the menu constantly flickered and forget about listening to an SACD, that would flicker too and the music would flicker with it. Since getting my Marantz and the 700 I’ve experienced no issues at all. Go figure, Sony. Perhaps there is a reason to drop a bunch of dough . But naw, no issues at all with the 700 thankfully.
I just did a search and found it, no first hand experience with it.

Do you have a TV with Dolby Vision?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis