What Bluray player to get?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is supposed to be the advantage of the 800 over the 700? Is it being region-free?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The Sony 700 is the way to go. Try ebay and get a refurb. When I go 4K it will be the one I'd get.
Open box here:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What is supposed to be the advantage of the 800 over the 700? Is it being region-free?
Sony 800,800M2 and 700 models can be bought region free. You get get them from a few eBay sellers, but I doubt that SONY markets any through their usual distributors.

Someone interested in one should make sure that it features a region free hardware module, not a software that would be disabled with a future manufacturer firmware upgrade.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Are Region free players better?
They're useful if you have DVDs or Blu-Ray discs sold in countries where DVD and BD zones are different from ours. They don't perform any better otherwise.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Only been a few times I wish I had a region free player when disc shopping.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Keep in mind that UHD discs don’t have regions. Only regular Blu-ray and DVD discs have regions. (In case not everyone knows that.).

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ive watched many a BluRay and couple of 4K discs on X800 and it only froze up on me once. I guess I got lucky. The only thing that p?ssed me off with this player is when the app stopped working that looked up CD information and displayed it on the screen. Not a biggy but I got used to it and liked and now its gone. :( No wonder I like the blues so much ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ive watched many a BluRay and couple of 4K discs on X800 and it only froze up on me once. I guess I got lucky. The only thing that p?ssed me off with this player is when the app stopped working that looked up CD information and displayed it on the screen. Not a biggy but I got used to it and liked and now its gone. :( No wonder I like the blues so much ;)
Well SACD still shows song titles but CD doesn’t.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I take your word for it but since I dont own any. :)
I'm now wondering if I've seen that on redbook layers of SACD or just the dsd tracks....think the redbook layer doesn't have that metadata....but will check on some new discs that just arrived :)

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply, love that you had the same situation. The x800 seems to run kinda slow and freezes a bit. Ever had that issue with the x700?
Have the x700. Occasionally it freezes up with Netflix, when scrolling through the NF catalog for a few minutes. I have to reboot it (unplug/replug unit). Other than that it boots up pretty quickly and runs smoothly once a program/movie starts streaming.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis