What are you watching tonight?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
How was this? I missed it when it was free on HBO Max. It was 4k Dolby Vision too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I have mixed feelings about it myself; was expecting better from Wan. Not that it was bad, per se, but the way it was hyped up to be the project that would surpass the Saw and Conjuring entries was a bit overzealous (and, in retrospect, inaccurate) IMO. There are still many aspects of the plot I don't understand, and while the "twist" involving the graphic body horror element was interesting, I just felt like most of the film was in the paint-by-numbers style of other forgettable horror projects -- notably the beginning parts (you know....a sinister shadowy figure emerges from dark corners to avenge some family member while a female lead is made to feel that she's making all this crap up in her mind....we've seen this countless times before).

Also, all the reviews I read before going into this mentioned the dollops of humor Wan poured on, almost making it seem like it was in the likeness of classic 80s comedy-horror such as Return of the Living Dead; to me, there wasn't really anything to chuckle at. Reviews also pointed to the potty mouth exuded by the female detective character, and that this was an example of the aforementioned "humor" -- but I just didn't see it that way.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm with Kaskade, overall I found it disappointing. So did the wife, and she's the bigger horror movie buff than me.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have mixed feelings about it myself; was expecting better from Wan. Not that it was bad, per se, but the way it was hyped up to be the project that would surpass the Saw and Conjuring entries was a bit overzealous (and, in retrospect, inaccurate) IMO. There are still many aspects of the plot I don't understand, and while the "twist" involving the graphic body horror element was interesting, I just felt like most of the film was in the paint-by-numbers style of other forgettable horror projects -- notably the beginning parts (you know....a sinister shadowy figure emerges from dark corners to avenge some family member while a female lead is made to feel that she's making all this crap up in her mind....we've seen this countless times before).

Also, all the reviews I read before going into this mentioned the dollops of humor Wan poured on, almost making it seem like it was in the likeness of classic 80s comedy-horror such as Return of the Living Dead; to me, there wasn't really anything to chuckle at. Reviews also pointed to the potty mouth exuded by the female detective character, and that this was an example of the aforementioned "humor" -- but I just didn't see it that way.
Yeah that's exactly what I heard, it's campy over and over and that put me off. I'm not sure I like "campy" movies. I'll check it out if it's free again somewhere.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
This to night on Netflix, 3rd season E1! Danger! Will Robinson!:D
IMG_20211201_154424511_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20211201_154233127_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thursday Night Football Dallas at New Orleans. Fun fact the Dallas NBA team is in the middle of a 2-game series with New Orleans. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched Flyboys last night. One last aviator related movie to watch in my collection ... Top Gun.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I watched Flyboys last night. One last aviator related movie to watch in my collection ... Top Gun.
How was this movie? I always wanted to see this movie.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
How was this movie? I always wanted to see this movie.

This is one awesome film and its based on a true story. I highly recommend this one from both a story and aviator perspective.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
This is one awesome film and its based on a true story. I highly recommend this one from both a story and aviator perspective.
Oh wow awesome, thanks. Must find this. Hopefully on Blu ray or Vudu even would be excellent.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
College football conference championships. Lots of implications for the final four and OK state #5 already lost a hard-fought game to Baylor.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh wow awesome, thanks. Must find this. Hopefully on Blu ray or Vudu even would be excellent.

Way back when a BD of this was tough to find for some reason. It's a great movie that touches on WWI in a way I hadn't seen before. Bi-planes are terrifying.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Way back when a BD of this was tough to find for some reason. It's a great movie that touches on WWI in a way I hadn't seen before. Bi-planes are terrifying.
Sounds awesome. I'm gonna have to find it somewhere.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis