What are you watching tonight?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Still binging on Boston Legal on Amazon Prime. I'm halfway into season 3 and I love this show. Cant believe I didn't watch this back in the day. :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
US Open at Torrey Pines GC in San Diego. Might be my favorite tournament of the year. :)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

Been years but saw this on cable. I thought it was rather hollow. However, the j-horror from the early 2000s was the most fucked up period in horror IMO. I'd guess The Ring is better than this. Or the Japanese Ring-u.

S

Synessence

Audiophyte
Long time reader, first time poster.
Zombie fare played itself out pretty thoroughly for me some 5 years ago, and then came along a little celebrated cinema verité take on it in the form of Netflix’s ‘Black Summer’. It focuses squarely on the theme that the undead are not the principle threat but merely the catalyst that ignited the larger peril of man’s continued threat to his fellow man. It was a small Canadian production that relied heavily on deft handheld camera work that delivered well above its modest budget and it was noteworthy to me for that. That was summer of 2019 and I had largely forgotten about it.

Discovered tonight that a second season was just released and to my astonishment it may be some of the best streaming Atmos work I’ve yet to experience!

Ep 1 has a pan-surround firefight that gives every single channel a workout with deft balance, ultimately punctuated by an overhead single engine flyover that is never seen, but only heard. The use of the overhead channels combined with the actors eyeline matched to watch it move offscreen is really pretty remarkable.

Ep 2 spreads an omnipresent ambient winter wind across surround and height channels so well that its buffeting is nearly palpable. And it’s all underpinned by articulate series of bass stabs and effects that are poweful yet distinct.

it’s powerful, but not gimmicky. Immersive, but not quite subtle. Tasteful. Mature. If this is an indication of the future of object-based mixes I am quite excited.

I’m interested to hear if my impressions are validated on other’s systems.

that said….it’s pretty brutal subject matter in both concept and execution so be warned.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Watched the first concert from BabyMetal Live at Budokan. The band is a rather unique mix of J-pop vocals with heavy metal music. Stage production is excellent with the usual laser lighting, hydraulic risers, ramps and big screens that you expect to see in a venue this size. Good camera work and great participation from the crowd. The show in general was very good and at C$19.50 was a bargain for a Japanese production.

My one beef is the audio mix. The lead vocals sound distant, like they were recorded from the PA system instead of from the mixing board. Tried various surround modes to no avail. This is surprising given that the band has a multitude of live videos on Youtube and the vocals sound fine on those. She sings perfectly in key the whole concert though and also dances. Great performance.

Also, as can be typical of some heavy metal bands, the bass is lost in much of the mix. The guitars and drums are very predominant and with the bass playing the same notes a lot of the time, it just gets muddled into the background. It improves on the last few tracks and gains a little more definition towards the end, but these days with modern recording and mixing technics I expected better. Maybe the second concert will sound better? Don't regret the purchase though.
20210618_115037[1].jpg

20210619_153544[1].jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Youtube videos on proper kayak paddling techiques. I did learn that I have to adjust the backrest more up right as I was kind of slouching. I also forgot to put the folding tray in the upright position. :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ep 1 has a pan-surround firefight that gives every single channel a workout with deft balance, ultimately punctuated by an overhead single engine flyover that is never seen, but only heard. The use of the overhead channels combined with the actors eyeline matched to watch it move offscreen is really pretty remarkable.

Ep 2 spreads an omnipresent ambient winter wind across surround and height channels so well that its buffeting is nearly palpable. And it’s all underpinned by articulate series of bass stabs and effects that are poweful yet distinct.

it’s powerful, but not gimmicky. Immersive, but not quite subtle. Tasteful. Mature. If this is an indication of the future of object-based mixes I am quite excited.
Ooh, will have to watch "Black Summer" just for the Atmos. :D

I just found out "Black Summer" was shot using the 8K resolution RED Helium digital camera.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis