What are you watching tonight?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Michigan Michigan St today. What a game!
And tonight World Series game 4.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
Wife and I finished the second season of Another Life, and overall enjoyed it, although I think the first season was better. The way they ended it, leads me to believe there won't be a season 3, although they did leave the door open for it, but at least they didn't leave any cliffhangers.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Re-Watch:

Also watched the special features on the 1080p Blu-ray Disc, which were really awesome for a fan (we viewed the 1080p transfer as the main feature for this sitting, as well, to compare to the 4K version...to be honest, because they were struck from the same 2021 master, they looked identical, with the 4K version with HDR being brighter, of course).

I STILL say this film can look better than what Scream gave us on this latest release; something is still missing from making this truly spectacular (some sequences remain too unresolved with flatness, and that opening scene with Elie's father running from the robots still looks a bit too "milky" and soft, not too far off what the Universal anamorphic DVD looked like).

Last edited:
Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Do you have the 4k Blu Ray that just came out? Incredible job on that one, just awesome. Looks phenomenal, sound is excellent.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
No, the only one of the new Scream Factory UHDs I picked up was Season of the Witch...

I didn't think some of these would benefit on my setup, being that I am running a Samsung edge-lit display which exhibits HORRIBLE blooming into black areas when watching HDR content; because of this, I assumed that since Halloween II takes place in the hospital for most of the runtime with no daytime sequences at all, I wouldn't benefit from an upgrade.

Believe it or not, Universal's anamorphic DVD transfer of the sequel still holds up, even on a large 4K screen, and the two-channel Dolby Stereo Surround track works, too.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
No, the only one of the new Scream Factory UHDs I picked up was Season of the Witch...

I didn't think some of these would benefit on my setup, being that I am running a Samsung edge-lit display which exhibits HORRIBLE blooming into black areas when watching HDR content; because of this, I assumed that since Halloween II takes place in the hospital for most of the runtime with no daytime sequences at all, I wouldn't benefit from an upgrade.

Believe it or not, Universal's anamorphic DVD transfer of the sequel still holds up, even on a large 4K screen, and the two-channel Dolby Stereo Surround track works, too.
Oh wow ok, yeah I really like the Halloween II 4k Blu Ray. They did a great job on it, the new Halloween original also. Looks pretty awesome. I didn't pick up III but it's not my kinda thing. I do like it now more than I did way back when. It's actually cool as movie on it's own and not a Halloween movie.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Oh wow ok, yeah I really like the Halloween II 4k Blu Ray. They did a great job on it, the new Halloween original also. Looks pretty awesome. I didn't pick up III but it's not my kinda thing. I do like it now more than I did way back when. It's actually cool as movie on it's own and not a Halloween movie.

One of the reasons I didn't pick up the first classic from 78 on 4K via Scream Factory is because I happen to be a huge fan of the color timing on the 1999 THX DVD released by Anchor Bay (you can see the artwork for that disc above, where I posted it) -- the transfer on that disc LOOKS like fall in Illinois, NOT spring/summer in California, where and when Carpenter shot it. There were filters used by Adam Adams and Dean Cundey to simulate the look of autumn in the midwest on that transfer, and it definitely works -- when Annie and Laurie are walking home in the beginning and spot Michael by the hedges, you can clearly see where the trees and leaves are orange/red towards the right of the screen. This is not in any other transfer of this film on disc, whether it's the 2003 DiviMax DVD from Anchor Bay, the 2007 Blu-ray from Anchor Bay (which I also own), the Anniversary Edition DigiBook Blu from 2013 or so, the discs included in the Anchor Bay/Scream deluxe box sets, the Lionsgate UHD release or this new Scream UHD release. They're ALL too bright, green and summery looking -- and I just don't care for it, as I feel like this robs the film of ALL its mood, which the whole thing is based on.

Halloween III is indeed a unique gem and entry in the franchise, the idea originally being that they wanted to introduce a new story every year as a kind of anthology approach; the marketing for the film didn't work and audiences didn't respond, so Season of the Witch ended up being a flop, and that's why 1988's Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers was put into production, to bring the series back on track. Still, the third film remains an absolute AWESOME cult favorite classic, one I grew up with in the VHS days and one I'll love till my days on this earth come to a close. The film OOZES and DRIPS with atmosphere, mood and underrated tension that hasn't been imitated in any of the sequels since. You can almost watch it without dialogue and Tommy Lee Wallace/Dean Cundey's expansive vistas would STILL be effective in telling a story.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
well gotta wait till next year for the next season of 'Outlander', just started the "Chestnut Man' .....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis