Wharfedale Opus speakers

braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
Pictures on the way shortly. They sound great with my Mac amp.:D

braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
For some reason I can not add photos. Any help? I can only get my picture down to 150kb and 100kb is the limit.

Last edited:
TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Wow! They look great! Nice setup, braminator!

So how's the sound? Is it anything like I described with the mc252 and mc402 or are you getting a different sound?

Just curious.

braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
Very much like you described, but I am sure it will be changing over the next few weaks of listening as they break in.

I will say out of the box they sound pretty darn good. The mids have a very nice sound. Very natural and life like. Not foward or laid back. Just natural.

Bass it tight and fast and not boomy. Dynamic? Time will tell. I will assume that will change after break in also, as it seems like they want to explode on demand. The bass is there for sure as I think my wife will love her dance music with these. I now think the bass on the VR-4jrs was heavy handed where I did have to adjust the tone controls on my amp. Now I can hear the difference since the tone controls are off.

The highs are crystal clear and not deafining. They are not bright or brittle.
But I have not pushed the volume yet. I will give them a few weeks first.

I thought my Vr-4jrs were nuetral sounding, but these really are IMO very neutral. They do not color the sound at all. I must admit though I do like a slightly foward midrange and these are not the case.

I have all the tone controls shut off and they don't sound flat or thick. They sound, dare I say like the music is suppose to sound.:D

When did yours open up fully where you noticed a difference?

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
I have all the tone controls shut off and they don't sound flat or thick. They sound, dare I say like the music is suppose to sound.:D

When did yours open up fully where you noticed a difference?
Within 5-10 hours they were sounding wonderful. I listened for about an hour or two and then I just walked out of the room and left a disc on repeat.

They are completely burned-in by the time they reach 20-25 hours hours or so. But something does seem to happen around the 100-150 hour mark. It's like a settling-in effect....or something. Mine completely smoothed out around that mark. But it could have been a settling-in/burning-in of all the components in my system. I had a lot of new components and my Vincent Audio SA-T1 Pre Amp had new tubes that were getting burned-in.

Seemed like a complete system burn-in, where everything just settled into a nice synergy/sync.

So it could have been that.

braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
Well the greatest thing happen to me today involving these speakers. I was playing Pink Floyd The Wall at a reasonable volume, when on track 5 a helicopter comes accross the speakers. My son came running into my room thinking it was outside. When he realized it was in my room on the speakers he was disappointed:D Now that shows me the detail and clairty as well as dynamics and soundstage that these speakers throw off.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Well the greatest thing happen to me today involving these speakers. I was playing Pink Floyd The Wall at a reasonable volume, when on track 5 a helicopter comes accross the speakers. My son came running into my room thinking it was outside. When he realized it was in my room on the speakers he was disappointed:D Now that shows me the detail and clairty as well as dynamics and soundstage that these speakers throw off.

These Wharfedale Opus Series speakers are outstanding designs and build quality (save for the typical cheap Wharfedale grills). And very musical.

Very under-rated and under-appreciated, in my opinion.

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
These Wharfedale Opus Series speakers are outstanding designs and build quality (save for the typical cheap Wharfedale grills). And very musical.

Very under-rated and under-appreciated, in my opinion.
Yes i agree and not to mention how beautiful they and the finish on them are, just great speakers.

Wharfedale has also been in buissness for 75 years and they also build everything for their speakers inhouse on their own.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis