Wharfedale Opus speakers

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
I'm reviving this thread in hopes to hear more about what pre/pro and amps people are using with the Opus. I can't quite tell what's what in Geoh's pic.

Originally I was considering a 2 channel amp to add to my HK 645, but have been having issues with it, and now looking at both a pre/pro and 5 or 7 channel amp.

Here's some I'm looking at:

Outlaw 7200 7x200w, $1849
Anthem MCA 50 5x180w, $1,999
Rotel RMB-1095 5x200w, $2,000
Outlaw 7700 7x200w, 2,149
B&K Reference 200.7 S2 7x200w, 2,998
Adcom GFA-7707 7x200w, $2,999
NAD M25 7x160w, $3,000
Sunfire TGA 7200 7x200w, $3,245
Parasound Halo A 51, 5x250w, $4,000

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Can't seem to edit post, so here's more:

Odyssey Stratos HT3 3x150w, $1,595
Butler TDB 5150 5x150w, $3,295
Lexicon RX-7 7x200w, $4,675
Bryston 9B SST 5x140w, $4,695
McIntosh MC207 7x200w, $7,000
Audio Research 150M 7x150w, $7,495

I was looking at the Krell site and it was confusing. Of the high end stuff, I'm drawn to Lexicon. A few of their MC-12 and MC-8 pre/pros are on eBay right now, and it'll be interesting to see how much they go for. An MC-12 is listed at $12,000, and bidding is still under $1,300. I assume it'll go up to at least $5k. I doubt I'll end up with a Lexicon this year, as at this point Sunfire and B&K are hardly in my price range.

nasd90

nasd90

Audioholic
I'm going to revive this post originally about the Wharfedale Opus 1's... and how are their 'highs' ?? I'm actually considering these as well.

also... What is the sub in that pic ?

THANKS!

Nick

Rogozhin

Rogozhin

Audioholic
I'm going to revive this post originally about the Wharfedale Opus 1's... and how are their 'highs' ?? I'm actually considering these as well.

also... What is the sub in that pic ?

THANKS!

Nick
The highs are sweet without the toxic brittleness of hard domes.

nasd90

nasd90

Audioholic
Now that I bought a set I totally agree. These Opus are great, the music isn't harsh whatsoever.

Well put my friend.

nasd90

P

photoeye

Audioholic
Opus sound too warm?

Hi,

I would appreciate your thoughts on your opus speakers,
positive and negative. I have the 1st version Opus 2's.

Everything sounds great, especially the vocals but I seem
to be having a somewhat nasal sound to it? like too much
warmth or the sound be too rounded?

I'm using a tube pre and a class A amp. I've also tried an Pioneer
Elite receiver for both music and sound. The sound is best I can
described round and slightly nasal. curious as to if you hear the same or you have no complaints about them.

thanks.

nasd90

nasd90

Audioholic
You must have a bad 'set'... Mine sound great playing classical, rap or a movie. The center Opus is truly the workhorse on movies, it takes a true beating but sounds perfect.

nasd90

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Hi,

I would appreciate your thoughts on your opus speakers,
positive and negative. I have the 1st version Opus 2's.

Everything sounds great, especially the vocals but I seem
to be having a somewhat nasal sound to it? like too much
warmth or the sound be too rounded?

I'm using a tube pre and a class A amp. I've also tried an Pioneer
Elite receiver for both music and sound. The sound is best I can
described round and slightly nasal. curious as to if you hear the same or you have no complaints about them.

thanks.
What tube pre amp are you using and what tubes do you have in there?

What amplifier?

Have you checked to make sure all your interconnects and speaker cables are hooked up in-phase (positive/negative)?

Are any of your components a reverse polarity design?

How long have you had the speakers and how many hours do you have on them?

I remember when I first got my Opus 2 they were a little closed-in, the midrange driver was a wee-bit bright or harsh and there was a very slight boxines sound to them. Don't know if that's what you're hearing and interpreting as nasal sounding.

But it only last for roughly 20-30 hours at the most. I left them alone in a seperate room to play-in/burn-in and it didn't take long for the drivers to smooth out and burn-in. Then there's another settling-in at roughly the 100 hour mark. You'll know it when it happens because it's as if the whole sound presentation completely smooths out, settles-in and becomes very well balanced.

Cold and out of the box the Wharfedale Opus 2 sound a little rough around the edges, they need some time to break-in. Although, I'm not sure that's what you're experiencing. Just sharing my experiences and what may or may not be the problem.

What Pioneer Elite receiver did you try?

One thing for sure, the Opus 2 require some quality power to get the best out of them. Yeah, you can drive them with standard receivers and 60-80 watts, but they come to life and really sing with at least 150 -200 watts of quality power.

gixxerific

gixxerific

Audioholic
Those sure are some sexy speakers, I'm sure they sound as good as they look.

Are those woofers carbon fiber? I got a thing for CF.:D

Dono

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Yes, the bass drivers are Carbon Fiber.

The three inch midrange and tweeter are a fabric soft dome.

braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
I have some Opus 3's on the way to use with my McIntosh Ma6850 integrated amp. I just sold my Von Schweikert VR-4jr's. So I was looking for something a little different and for the deal I got it was worth trying these. Any users out there using McIntosh with the opus line?

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
McIntosh and the Opus Series are a match made in musical heaven!!

I've heard the mc252 and mc402 with my Opus 2. Absolute musical heaven!!

Don't know how the MA6850 will do with the Opus 3, but it will probably sound great.

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
Can you be more detailed then

Nicely detailed, but not analytical.

Smoooooooth, perfect amount of warmth.

Wonderful tonal/timbre of the instruments and voices.

Very engaging, melodic.....and emotional. Midrange absolutely beautiful.

Imaging was nice, but not the last word or ultimate in imaging (which is fine with me). A slightly laid back or should I say ....Polite presentaion.

Dynamics are nice, but not the utimate in dynamics. Won't punch you in the nuts and kick you in the stomach. Yet, you get a nice dynamic presentation.

Bass frequenices are musical, strong and present; but doesn't overwhelm the other frequency ranges. But it will depend on the bass on the recording.

Highs smooth, sweet and clean.....with a slight touch of warmth.

Whether you'll get the same with the MA6850 and in your room; is anyone's guess.

The Opus 3 love quality power. Doesn't have to me a gazillion watts. But as long as they are getting quality power from a quality power supply; they will sing.

Give the Opus 3 ........about 20-40 hours to completely run-in. But they'll start sounding great just after 5 -8 hours.

Let me know how it works for you.

braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
Thank you Thank you Thank you, Sorry I did not mean to offend:(

braminator

braminator

Junior Audioholic
Right out of the box they sound pretty dam good:) I can not wait to hear them after many hours of break in.
The finish blows away my Von VR-4jr they are replacing. I thought there was a protective plastic coating on them only to realize it was the finish.:D

I have them bi wired with anti cables and so far so good.

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
Right out of the box they sound pretty dam good:) I can not wait to hear them after many hours of break in.
The finish blows away my Von VR-4jr they are replacing. I thought there was a protective plastic coating on them only to realize it was the finish.:D

I have them bi wired with anti cables and so far so good.

Glade you like them but where are the pic's?

I just got my Opus 2s a couple weeks ago and love mine also, the bass is very punchy and sound great now when i am listing to music i don't even use my sub. I have herd people say how good they sound with different amps and such, mine sounds awsome with my Emotive XPA-3.
I think these are very nice speakers in all respects and the finish like you said is out of this world. Well enjoy

Kirk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis