Wharfedale diamond 3xx is enough for HT?

S

Squonk94

Audiophyte
Hi all

I have never had home theater - always just simple stereo setup. I would like to build one. Probably I don't need higher quality stuff - I like spatial effects which surrounds speakers give. Also deep shaking bass would be nice for action movies/games.

I am wondering if the basic setup will suffice or there will be big difference between higher quality stuff.

As basic setup I am thinking about Denon AVR1700H + Wharfedale Diamond (330 x2 | 310 x2 | 300C | 300 3D) and some basic sub like Polk HTS SUB 12. Such setup would be used 60% gaming/ 40% movies and tv series.

Will this be sufficient setup to have nice HT experience? Or there will be huge difference if I go higher eg. Denon AVR3700H and Polks loudspeakers (R700 x2 | R200 x2 | R400) ?

My room is 25 m2 (36 m2 on the floor - sloped ceiling) . Currently for stereo listening I have Adam A7X which were pretty sufficient for music listening (in a smaller room, now i am thinking about adding a sub or changing this setup as well).

For reference had opportunity to listen to Sony base soundbar with surrounds HT-S40R and it was terrible - spatial effects was nice but that's really it. I don't think i could using such setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The higher quality experience would follow speakers more than the different avrs. Not familiar with Wharfedale speakers myself. If they're competent, they work for 2ch or multich. The Polk HTS sub wouldn't be my first choice but decent.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would definitely skip the Polk if you want good bass. I would lean towards SVS. It is definitely the case that as you pay more for subwoofers you get more. In my experience, a really expensive subwoofer from a reputable manufacturer gives a ton more bass response then their cheaper models, so if you want to really feel (and not just hear boomy sound), then spending more makes sense.

As for speakers, I am rarely a fan of models which can cost more, but use the same size drivers as some other company with a much less expensive model. So, it may be worth listening to competing products with similar 5" drivers (or larger) and see how they sound. But, if you've listened to the Wharfdales and like how they sound and it fits your budget, then go for it.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Am partial to Wharfdale speakers in general but in this case, I'd go with your Polk setup & SVS sub, with the 1700 receiver if you are on a budget. Take a look at the 2700 on Crutchfield. They have a "scratch and dent" available for $991.

Here's a review for the Polk R700.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Am partial to Wharfdale speakers in general but in this case, I'd go with your Polk setup & SVS sub, with the 1700 receiver if you are on a budget. Take a look at the 2700 on Crutchfield. They have a "scratch and dent" available for $991.

Here's a review for the Polk R700.

Wharfdale speakers are some interesting speakers. I've researched them, they seem to be a good brand. Shady J's review of Polk's 700 reserve line was very informative.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
My first ever quality speakers were a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 3 way towers, the matching CC, Diamond 9.1 bookshelfs and SW-250 subwoofer. I was very happy with them and out of budgetary restraints kept the SW-250 for about six months longer than the speakers. I do recall when I upgraded from the Diamonds to a Martin Logan Motion 12 x 3 for LRC and 10 x 2 for surrounds that in my specific room the midrange had a bit more clarity and the high end was not as sharp. Either way they’re good speakers. I do personally believe the Polks would be an upgrade but it may not be as impactful as you’re expecting. As someone else mentioned grabbing a quality subwoofer is really going to improve your perceived sound quality

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Wharfdale speakers are some interesting speakers. I've researched them, they seem to be a good brand. Shady J's review of Polk's 700 reserve line was very informative.
Agree with you, the review was a good read. To my ears, some of the Wharfdale speakers I had the opportunity to hear were very under priced for their performance. A few years back I bought a used pair of Diamond 9 bookshelves and ran them in a 2.1 channel setup and the filled the room with detail...

S

Squonk94

Audiophyte
Isn't Diamond 300 lower line than 9.x line?
Is better option going 3700 route and use it to music also? Or i should get cheap HT (about 3k euro) and have separate stereo setup? Because that was on my mind when i created this topic.
I am hardly thinking about SVS since it will do good in music also.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure why the 3700 would be particularly different for music? I've incorporated HT into all my music listening but for one old 2ch rig I rarely use. The 3700's main advantages will be a bit more amp power (but not particularly significant), more channels of amp and processing, a full set of pre-outs for external amps if you want the flexibility, and a better version of Audyssey (XT32 over XT). You can use this site's avr comparison tool to see details of all the differences https://www.zkelectronics.com/

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Yes the 300 line was a budget series. In terms of the 3700h being better at music or movies I don’t believe that’s an issue. I’ve used either a Denon or Marantz AVR for the last 5 years and have always had great experiences in two channel. My current 6700h does great with 7.2.4 Atmos and also two channel stereo. I do use it in Pre-amp mode but have previously used a Denon x4300h to power some demanding speakers and in unison with either MultiEQ-X or the EQ Editor App and Rat Buddy have always gotten phenomenal performance while MiniDSP 2x4HD handles the LFE for the most part

S

Squonk94

Audiophyte
Not sure why the 3700 would be particularly different for music? I've incorporated HT into all my music listening but for one old 2ch rig I rarely use. The 3700's main advantages will be a bit more amp power (but not particularly significant), more channels of amp and processing, a full set of pre-outs for external amps if you want the flexibility, and a better version of Audyssey (XT32 over XT). You can use this site's avr comparison tool to see details of all the differences https://www.zkelectronics.com/
mostly because of better room correction. Also good measured performance play a role for me. I had oportunity to listen them both and 3700 was way better sounding than 1700. But customer service was so poor in this shop that it could be also some settings on 1700 srewed up.
Thanks for the site!

MiniDSP 2x4HD handles the LFE for the most part
Why and how? Because i cant get it :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't seen a bench test of the 1700 myself, but all the x7xx series measurements I've seen are good. Got a link?

Yes, I think XT32 is an upgrade over XT (have two XT avrs and one XT32). Listening to an avr doesn't mean much, unless the conditions are carefully matched, and would assume a shop isn't a good place for that. They're far more similar than different in any case, I'd choose on features/connectivity.

I also use miniDSP units to help out with multiple subs, but XT32 does a decent job with two dissimilar placed subs....why can't you get one?

mostly because of better room correction. Also good measured performance play a role for me. I had oportunity to listen them both and 3700 was way better sounding than 1700. But customer service was so poor in this shop that it could be also some settings on 1700 srewed up.
Thanks for the site!

Why and how? Because i cant get it :)

S

Squonk94

Audiophyte
I dont know any credible 1700 review.

when it comes to minidsp - i can get one. I just dont understand how it can be used when you are already using denon to correct room.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I dont know any credible 1700 review.

when it comes to minidsp - i can get one. I just dont understand how it can be used when you are already using denon to correct room.
For multiple subs (especially beyond 2) it provides more adjustments to setting up subs. You still can run Audyssey to incorporate the subs after that. There are various threads on how to use them either with or without Audyssey.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Listen to HD. He’s a smart man. He also has good taste in alcohol.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
If you want quality go with polk reserves r200 bookshelves and r400 center and svs pb 1000 pro or higher!

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I would also try and get a 3 way center. I have yet to hear an MTM that sounds equally good as a well engineered 3 way CC. That being said if you have room to use 3 identical front speakers, even if they’re 2 way, you can achieve great performance in my opinion. MiniDSP is extremely useful in conjunction with REW and the DSP HD’s on board PEQ or even an app like MSO. I have however ran 4 subs with Audyssey XT32 via the EQ Editor app with a y splitter, placing the subs symmetrically and gotten decent results years ago. If you pick up the 3700h you also have the advantage of being able to use MultiEQ-X down the road if you deem it a viable purchase for its $199 license fee. I’ve had both and do find that MultiEQ-X does everything from channel trims to phase and time alignment better but this is subjective and numerous people have achieved outstanding results with the $19.99 Editor App and the free Ratbuddy especially when limiting correction to 200-500hz. Using a single sub I wouldn’t worry about a MiniDSP yet, you can manually create filters in REW with the generic EQ option and input them into the Editor App via Ratbuddy. The results aren’t identical but they’re certainly better subjectively. My 7.2.4 has a. Very similar purpose to yours and I use a 6700h. It’s primarily gaming, with cinema use. For music I do have a dedicated two channel rig but find the 6700h equally pleasing to listen to from identical sources. Again this is my subjective experience and like I said there’s guys on here who are exponentially more educated with this stuff than I am

S

Squonk94

Audiophyte
I am looking toward Adam a7x as fronts and phantom center for now
I will buy Denon 3700 and svs 1000 pro (SB or pb). I have some old infinity reference 30 speakers. If they are still working I will try them as surrounds just to checkout if front/surrounds mismatch is acceptable for me. If it will be I will buy surrounds/Atmos from heco aurora series (cheap and decent sounding). At last I will start looking for fronts upgrade - but possibly I will be demoing them at home a/b with Adams. If I will find something better I will switch to new /LCR if not I will stay with Adams as fronts and buy something for CC (Adams t/a series if it will fit under TV or emotiva airmotive c+.

Different route will be if surrounds mismatch will be problem for me - then I will have to buy whole set of the same line of speakers. But I am looking also on studio Pro equipment so some focals/Kali is not excluded. Or I will just follow Polk r series as previously mentioned.

Is it good way to achieve HT? What do you think?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis