went to hong kong over the weekend

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
bought me some DVD's and looked at the Velodyne DD-18 (looked, not heard)

Predator: Collector's Edition (DTS)
True Lies
Ice Age
Janet Jackson: Live in Hawaii (DTS)
A Fish Called Wanda
Moulin Rouge
Narnia

I've only started watching Janet, I must say, she's starting to look like Michael. hmmm.

The DD-18 looks very very intimidating! they were selling it cheap because it had a few scratches on top.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
actually, I went to buy our wedding rings :)

its incredibly hard to talk the hongkies ... (very heavy accent) I wish I could have demo'd the DD18
he asked me to come back after their renovation of their listening room next month, I couldn't tell him I wasn't a local lest he kick me out of his store for wasting his time :)

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
mike c said:

True Lies
Ice Age
A Fish Called Wanda
Moulin Rouge
Narnia

I've only started watching Janet, I must say, she's starting to look like Michael. hmmm.

The DD-18 looks very very intimidating! they were selling it cheap because it had a few scratches on top.
I'm surprised that you had time to shop......LOL
I've made the pacific trip, and it was 14 hrs in the air each way from LA, not to mention time spent waiting in airports. It's amazing the amount of pirated stuff selling out in the open in that part of the world.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
mike c said:
actually, I went to buy our wedding rings :)
Hey everyone, just so there's no confusion, that's rings for Mike and his wife, not for Mike and I. :eek:

Congratulations Mike. :)

majorloser

majorloser

I've heard of going to Hong Kong to buy a wife, not a wedding ring for the wife:confused:

Congratulations!
(I'd say something different, but remember my wife is a member)

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
mike c said:

True Lies
Ice Age
A Fish Called Wanda
Moulin Rouge
Narnia

I thought that DVD's had zones they could be used in. These all work OK here?

And, congats. May you have many happy years together.

Edit: Oops, didn't see that you are in Manila. My wife is in Cagayan De Oro right now visiting her family. The DVD's we have sent in the past wouldn't work there. So she brought a portable one with her this trip. Now they can watch all the ones we send.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats on the big news!

A good friend visited HK a few years ago. His 30 or so DVD's were pirated. He paid $1 a piece. The quality was 2nd rate, but they played fine.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
A good friend visited HK a few years ago. His 30 or so DVD's were pirated. He paid $1 a piece. The quality was 2nd rate, but they played fine.
I have a friend that picked up some of those $1 DVD's just last fall and swears they are as good as the real ones, and he was buying current run movies that yet to be released in the USA on DVD. The US Customs guys must agree with his opinion about the quality because they confiscated his entire collection the last time he entered the USA.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Buckeye_Nut said:
I've made the pacific trip, and it was 14 hrs in the air each way from LA, not to mention time spent waiting in airports. It's amazing the amount of pirated stuff selling out in the open in that part of the world.
yeah, it was like 1st day: arrival and check in ... and then we scrambled to look for the ring. the 2nd day: went to purchase the rings and other jewelry (god! you know you are an audioholic when every item you see is converted in your mind to audio stuff - e.g. that ring sure looks like an amp to me)
3rd day: went to buy the dvd's and looked at the DD18 all before check out time.

sigh. no shopping.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Buckle-meister said:
Hey everyone, just so there's no confusion, that's rings for Mike and his wife, not for Mike and I. :eek:

Congratulations Mike. :)
oh. I thought you had accepted my proposal :p

ha, thanks!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
majorloser said:
I've heard of going to Hong Kong to buy a wife, not a wedding ring for the wife:confused:

Congratulations!
(I'd say something different, but remember my wife is a member)
thanks. but I think your wife has gotten enough info from this post to warrant giving you a hard time!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
gmichael said:
I thought that DVD's had zones they could be used in. These all work OK here?

And, congats. May you have many happy years together.

Edit: Oops, didn't see that you are in Manila. My wife is in Cagayan De Oro right now visiting her family. The DVD's we have sent in the past wouldn't work there. So she brought a portable one with her this trip. Now they can watch all the ones we send.
thanks.

players here can play all zones (regions), all systems (pal, ntsc) even those sent from the US and Canada.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
buckeye,
I actually didn't see a single pirated movie this time ... maybe the cops have started to crack down on them,

there are actually different types of pirated DVDs
"cam" / "screener" - a videocamera was used in the theatre to make a pirated copy
"dvd copy" - they wait til the original comes out to copy it (this one is just about as good as the real one)
"vhs quality posing as DVD" - this one is the 2nd rate quality you are talking about, it's watchable but still not DVD quality

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
mike c said:
thanks.

players here can play all zones (regions), all systems (pal, ntsc) even those sent from the US and Canada.
Hmmm. I wonder why they had trouble then. I'll talk to wifey about it in the morning. Maybe they do work & we were snowed.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
cagayan de oro is actually a province (not really modern - by our standards)
so maybe they couldn't get/afford the branded players.

I always use pioneer players.

S

skrivis

Junior Audioholic
Buckeye_Nut said:
It happens in the US too. In fact, it might be worse in the US because it isn't out in the open in a lot of places. You don't even know you got a counterfeit item.

However, my brother was recently in NYC and bought a "Rolex" from a street vendor. He said there were a number of vendors and they had various models and quality levels. The cheapest ones sort of resembled a Rolex and had cheap quartz movements. The expensive ones had a self-winding mechanical movement, and even came with counterfeit papers. The vendors didn't hide the fact that these were all fakes.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
mike c said:
cagayan de oro is actually a province (not really modern - by our standards)
so maybe they couldn't get/afford the branded players.

I always use pioneer players.
Yeah, I've been to both and there is a big difference. Still, Cagayan de Oro is much bigger than the town she grew up in. Do you know Yumbing on Camiguin Island? Now that's small.
I didn't walk through any of the electronics stores in Cagayan de Oro, but they did have modern photography shops. And more cell phone stores than you could shake a stick at.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis