Welcome to the Jungle

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The power went out this morning so I finally put my Grammas under my subs and took some pic's.

I better get that level out of there. Cheryl's gonna know I was up to something.

When you're as delinquent in decoupling you have to make up for it. 2X

How do you spell 'Infinity Fanboy'? They sound better than speakers costing 10X as much.

Before:

Before That:

And Before That:

Oh Yeah ... The Modification (say it with a French accent)

I should calibrate something. Strube, I hope you finished your homework. Remember the woodshed?

Welcome to the Jungle

Last edited:
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
The power went out this morning so I finally put my Grammas under my subs and took some pic's.

I better get that level out of there. Cheryl's gonna know I was up to something.
Well you could always get another level for the other side, :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nice progression :)

How long have you had those grammas? Did you buy those from Phil a LONG time ago? Or was that someone else?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Nice progression :)

How long have you had those grammas? Did you buy those from Phil a LONG time ago? Or was that someone else?
Nope, he got them from me, as well as, the Infinity speakers. However, Alex already had the Infinity subs. ;););)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Wow Alex!!!! Looks like you have been very busy. I am very impressed! ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Well you could always get another level for the other side, :)
It's kind of like dual subs. Since they should match I wish that my first level was a Stabila. You think that guy's safety glasses do any good on his hard hat? :rolleyes:

... a LONG time ago?
I may be slow ... but I get there. :eek: In the early pic we had just moved in and the TV had a sub out of all things. I already had gear including P250 towers but I wanted the space which led to the wall mounted speakers. Phil selling the P360's, PC350 and P150's made me snap. I don't care about space anymore. Today I inched them out from the wall a little more. ;)

I am very impressed!
Thanks Phil. Of course I'm still not done ... but who is? :confused: :)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
It's coming along nicely, Monkey Boy. It sure has changed since you first started.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It's coming along nicely, Monkey Boy. It sure has changed since you first started.
Thanks, Dave. My homemade decoupling devices/risers are really getting on my nerves though. I saw the base that the Salk Song Towers have and it's making me want to do something ... anything. :D

I guess while I'm at this I may as well get this JBL MPC200 that I did this to and shtick it in there somewhere. I want to love up and place my OSW-1's behind the couch on the floor and the amp should free up my rec'r some for the extra speakers.

I'm getting tired of just housing gear instead of using it. :rolleyes:
Meanwhile you probably have 3 entire unused 5.1 systems in various closets and the garage. :p

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Meanwhile you probably have 3 entire unused 5.1 systems in various closets and the garage. :p
Oh no. I gave away the Ventriloquist system with the little Sony sub. It lives in Toronto now. I gave my daughter my old Denon 686 with the Athena AS B1.2's and a center. I gave the Samsung HTIB to my next door neighbor and sold the Bose 3-2-1 to another neighbor.

All I have left is the main system and the bedroom system. Although I did keep my Monitor Audio dipole surrounds and I still have the Era D5. I guess if I got the Dynaudio center and another receiver, I could have a third 5.1 system pretty easily. Oh, and the vintage Sansui receiver and speakers.

But this thread is all about you and your system, my friend. I didn't mean to hijack.:p

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You've inspired me to take some new pics when I get a chance.

I really like what you've done with the place.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice acoustic panels......
You should buy some...;)
LOL !!! :D
What a rudenick. I love it.
He could always have these back. I would be happy to drive them down. :D

For anybody who doesn't know ParadigmDawg gave me the GIK 242 Elite Acoustic Panels for reasons that aren't really clear to me. I was pretty stoked about it too, still am as a matter of fact.

I finally got my hands on some Owens Corning 703 and plan to make a few more panels DIY style. Today I did get around to lining my OWS-1's with Peel & Seal. I was going to do just one and compare but the problem with that is that I would never give them identical treatments unless I did them at the same time so here it is:

What a royal pain, let me tell ya. It took me forever.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Is that the 3 in One oil you used on the turntable. Nice setup Alex.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
LOL !!! :D
What a rudenick. I love it.
He could always have these back. I would be happy to drive them down. :D

For anybody who doesn't know ParadigmDawg gave me the GIK 242 Elite Acoustic Panels for reasons that aren't really clear to me. I was pretty stoked about it too, still am as a matter of fact.

I finally got my hands on some Owens Corning 703 and plan to make a few more panels DIY style. Today I did get around to lining my OWS-1's with Peel & Seal. I was going to do just one and compare but the problem with that is that I would never give them identical treatments unless I did them at the same time so here it is:

What a royal pain, let me tell ya. It took me forever.
Stop motivating me! I might actually do something this weekend if the rain let's up.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is that the 3 in One oil you used on the turntable. Nice setup Alex.
Thanks Walter. I wonder how the 3-in-1 people make any money.
I've had that one can for years and like the turntable, it was given to me. ;) :)

Stop motivating me! I might actually do something this weekend if the rain let's up.
Oh, there's no stopping people like us. We're like those bunnies ...
... once we get off the freakin' computer !

It's probably going to take me all day to wire up those speakers and maybe hook up that amp ... uhm, definitely hook up that amp. I feel like I keep adding to a temporary arrangement when I should be focusing on completing this in-wall entertainment center that I have been building at about the rate that ... well, at a very slow rate. I guess I should probably wait until I get back to work so that I can afford to throw some money at the completion and installation.

So ... it's probably going to take me all day to wire up those speakers and hook up that amp. :)

Edit: Can someone tell me how to use a muti meter to set the output on an amp?

Last edited by a moderator:
Moutee

Moutee

Junior Audioholic
Very nice setup, Alex. Have you noticed a dramatic difference since you added the decoupling risers? Likewise, is there a DIY article for building them (as opposed to buying grammas)?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Nice man!

What got you decoupling? Sound, wife, neighbors?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Very nice setup, Alex. Have you noticed a dramatic difference since you added the decoupling risers? Likewise, is there a DIY article for building them (as opposed to buying grammas)?
Thanks, Moutee. The decoupling risers main function is to raise the tweeter to almost ear level. The one track I use to demo systems does appear to have literally elevated the sound stage but not to the level that WmAx's puts it. I never noticed that my system made it sound like the band was playing in an orchestra pit. I had a thread about it but yanked the pics which is just as well. They are made from odds and ends that I picked up over time at construction sites. I don't even know what half the stuff was.

I just did a Google search for info that might be pertinent. I read what I read and forgot most of it but I would say that the Gramma or Subdude products are the way to go. First of all they build their products professionally to compete with other professionally built products and measure their results. I'm sure you could do better but at a price and it's not just a monetary issue ... ;)

WmAx is the only other member I have seen DIY these but I've never heard him talk about them much. Other members swear by there Grammas. I got two from another member not knowing that I would stack my subs and then I just needed to put the second one somewhere besides up against the wall. The other kids were making fun. :)

What got you decoupling? Sound, wife, neighbors?
The wife don't care. I'm hoping to stay off the neighbors radar and I read too much about improving sound quality by reducing resonance and guys on here (j_garcia and major loser) swear by theirs and that's on concrete floors ... and I think I got 'em both for $65. (Speakerman39)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis