Webb Space Telescope

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dr Becky is stoked! She has that same image up on her monitor, lol.

I was hoping we'd see a close up of the main Test Star again... but then they went and turned it on some other unsuspecting galactic neighborhood and started stealing their un-visible light! :p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I was hoping we'd see a close up of the main Test Star again... but then they went and turned it on some other unsuspecting galactic neighborhood and started stealing their un-visible light! :p
That picture is way cool :cool:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Dark current. Do we need to be worried about it when we watch movies? ;) :D
Wow, unreal.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Well, that was not a made up thing on my part. ;)
I read that article in the link:

"MIRI's cool temperatures are also required to overcome what scientists call "dark current," or the electrical current created by vibrating atoms in the detectors. These small movements can generate false signals in the instrument's data, marring observations. "

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

"MIRI's cool temperatures are also required to overcome what scientists call "dark current," or the electrical current created by vibrating atoms in the detectors. These small movements can generate false signals in the instrument's data, marring observations. "
;) I know. I read about it too. But there’s gotta be something to talk about until we start snapping peeping Tom photos of naked alien babes at the edge of space-time! :p

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

;) I know. I read about it too. But there’s gotta be something to talk about until we start snapping peeping Tom photos of naked alien babes at the edge of space-time! :p
I can just imagine atomic motion almost comes to a standstill at those temperatures. Resistance must be nill.
Wonder how they tested the equipment if it could withstand such low, near zero temp.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I can just imagine atomic motion almost comes to a standstill at those temperatures. Resistance must be nill.
Wonder how they tested the equipment if it could withstand such low, near zero temp.
Supercomputers. :)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

Is that something we need to worry about?
Well, temperature in my living room is slightly above what's on James Webb Telescope :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Thre must be lots of real life testing here

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
According to a post yesterday, the JWST’s mirrors are the final item waiting to cool to their operating temperature. All other instruments have cooled to mission parameters.
While it was not said, I would expect that final calibration of all systems will be dependent on achieving this last benchmark.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis