Weather continues to be… interesting

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Most of us in the central or eastern part of the US have had a cold time of it the last 2 or 3 weeks. But the last several days have been quite warm for January. Today it's 68°F!

Starting tonight its going to drop like a rock, and get as cold as a well-digger's ass in January – again. Before midnight, it will be about 62°. After that, the cold front arrives and by sunrise, the temperature drops to about 31°. By sunrise the next day, it will be 12°.

I know someone will tell me it's much colder where they live. But it's rare to see such a large drop in temperature – from 62° at midnight Friday to 19° at midnight Saturday – a change of 43° over 24 hours.

Temp Drop 4.png

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep I’ll be happy to show you what cold looks like swerd!
this was last week. This week we actually got up to a about 35deg and the overnight was down around -17deg. Crazy winter, but the little break was nice. Not too often we see close to 40 in January ‘round here. Yuk...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You may be in Brainerd (Minnesota?), but I'm in Maryland, about 30 miles from that epicenter of Hot Air in North America, the US Capitol. It rarely gets that cold around here. There must be very few congressmen in town this weekend.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Here in Western KY we went from heavy rains to freezing rain to 4-6" of snow only to more freezing rain. I can NOT even get my car doors open.........Ugh! :(:(:( I am really NOT a Winter person. Don't mind snow so much, but the freezing rain is a pain in the arse! The blistering cold we have had has been really hard on my arthritis. Just saying.......is it Spring already........LOL!!!!! :):):)

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We've had a batch of warm weather lately, altho we had a good cold period before that. Am in the western Cascades in Oregon (40 mi southeast of Eugene), town being at about 1200'. We had quite a bit of snow last year but not much this year and what we had melted off during the warm weather. We're supposed to have a fairly nice weekend, partially sunny and in the low 60s daytime/low 40s nighttime, and then just slightly cooler weather with more rain (maybe some snow at higher elevations). Not a good year to purchase a ski pass at the local ski hill as a few locals have mentioned...

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Don't mind snow so much, but the freezing rain is a pain in the arse!
Nobody likes freezing rain… unless you're in Brainerd, Minnesota :D. To get freezing rain there, it would have to warm up quite a bit.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Nobody likes freezing rain… unless you're in Brainerd, Minnesota :D. To get freezing rain there, it would have to warm up quite a bit.
Kind of puts things into perspective then....LOL!!! I am like so ready for Spring. Have been since November 1st, 2017......LOL!!!!!:D:D:D As a younger man I loved Winter time. Now not so much. Luckily, we have NOT lost power. The freezing rain is tough on power lines. KY plays tomorrow. Hope to get to see my game! Go Big Blue!

Cheers,

Phil

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My work location is now Southern California, so I know what you mean by weird weather. Sometimes it's cloudy here.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We have had the whiplash as well, so get ready for round 2.

Our weather turned brutal on December 20. I left Benedict for Eagan and the car thermometer read -2 F. We had a very cold temps with wind chills close to 50 below on occasions. We had temps below 0 F at Benedict for 18 days. Then it warmed up and we had four warm days. Tuesday and Wednesday were slightly above freezing. Thursday evening friends asked us to join them for Burger Night at the 502 at Chase on the Lake Walker. When we left it was a rain ice mix and 35 F. On the 9 miles home it had dropped well below freezing and starting to snow. Then the wind really kicked up and it was around 20 below by morning. Last night it got to - 28 F. I left Benedict for Eagan this morning and the thermometer read - 20 F. The rain had made the roads slick and temps too cold for anti ice treatments to work. I had to drive south 70 miles on sheet ice until I got to good road surfaces. I arrived in the Twin Cities to a balmy + 1 F.

So get ready. Arctic blast number 2 s heading your way!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You're despicable!
No! He's missing out. The winters up here are very beautiful. They give you every excuse to get cozy by the fire and listen to music. The snow just gives me an reason to get on the old JD A and get he working hard producing a wonderful selection of the unique two cylinder 180 degree firing order sound. I'm glad to report I have now recovered enough to move snow with the old girl.

The one thing I don't like is the ice. I always say the only bad thing about our winters is when we get warm weather, that brings trouble. Cold is much better. I always say: - in the winter the only thing worse than cold weather is warm weather.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That freezing rain stuff can be pretty wicked, has hit Eugene (OR) last coupla years pretty hard, my sister lives there and was without power for a week last winter....to the point they even approved salt on the roads under certain conditions (I know, strange to you midwesterners).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That freezing rain stuff can be pretty wicked, has hit Eugene (OR) last coupla years pretty hard, my sister lives there and was without power for a week last winter....to the point they even approved salt on the roads under certain conditions (I know, strange to you midwesterners).
Yes, we have had power cuts as long as four days due to power cuts from ice. Last winter we had a 17 hour power cut.

I have that covered though.

A 15 KW generator powered by a vintage Wisconsin V4 engine.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
No! He's missing out. The winters up here are very beautiful. They give you every excuse to get cozy by the fire and listen to music. The snow just gives me an reason to get on the old JD A and get he working hard producing a wonderful selection of the unique two cylinder 180 degree firing order sound. I'm glad to report I have now recovered enough to move snow with the old girl.

The one thing I don't like is the ice. I always say the only bad thing about our winters is when we get warm weather, that brings trouble. Cold is much better. I always say: - in the winter the only thing worse than cold weather is warm weather.
I do agree about northern winters being beautiful. A long time ago, I spent two years in Anchorage, Alaska. It was cold enough to keep snow on the ground without melting from November to May. Temperatures in the winter were mostly between -10° and +10° F. I knew someone there from Minneapolis who said Minnesota could be colder. The coldest I can remember was -35°. Outside, you had to learn to breathe while keeping your mouth shut.

I agree about ice. It leads to awful trouble on the roads. In Alaska, no salt was used on the roads. Driving on hard packed snow was surprisingly easy compared to driving on snow that thaws and refreezes.

The only ice I thought was beautiful was ice fog. In December, before Cook Inlet froze, a cold snap could create ice fog if there was little wind. It was similar to lake effect snow except that the water vapor from Cook Inlet froze into ice crystals. For about 2 or 3 days there was a crystalline fog that covered everything in Anchorage with glitter. It was treacherous getting around, but beautiful.

Oddly, because of the bizarre extremes of the Polar Vortex, Anchorage is now having warmer weather than we are in Maryland.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Freezing rain is over now for the most part. Fortunately, power has never gone off. However, taking out the trash is hazardous to say the least. Just about busted mine yesterday. Already have a bad back. No need to herniate another disk.

They have been salting and sanding the roads now for 3-days which is the norm here. Be careful everyone as common sense goes a long ways! That is, don't get out unless you absolutely have to. Better to play it safe. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Swerd meteorologists have a name for Alaska being opposite to the CONUS. It is called the Fargo/Fairbanks inversion. Most of the time it holds true. If it is warm in Fairbanks it will be cold on Fargo and vice versa. Fairbanks is now -9 F. Fargo is now -18 F. At Benedict MN it is now -28 F.
Here at Eagan MN right now it is - 11 F.

We also get nice displays of freezing fog when there is open water over the Leech Lake system and the air temp gets around zero. The ice coats the trees, and the sun shines though the ice crystals.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m afraid one place I disagree with the good Dr. is a love of winter. At my house between Marks locations it’s currently -14. Why anyone would settle here is beyond me. It’s just plain painful to go outside. On top of that, my Boat has to sit on the trailer for winter months, my hot rod sits in the garage wasting away, and I sit pining away for the western coast.
As soon as my wife gets on board, I am outta here. IMO, Irv got it right.

Freezing rain is definitely not a small thing to deal with. Luckily we don’t see too much of that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol. Salt is a necessary evil, and something we know about all too well. Just too bad it’s so hard on vehicles. Almost need a budget to wash your car all winter.
My mom has a cousin in Eugene. Went there once, would love to go back.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis