Wave Crest Audio HLV-1... Ascend designed budget bookshe

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Checked my email this morning and received a Memorial Day sales email from Ascend Acoustics. At the bottom was a short paragraph describing a new product designed by Dave (Ascend) and sold through a new company called Wave Crest Audio:

"And now for something new...

We would like to introduce something new; an extreme value bookshelf speaker with a warm and engaging midrange response, combined with good bass and detailed highs all in an extremely compact and spousal friendly cabinet.

This new speaker was fully developed by us and is being built by the best OEM's in the business. These are being sold through a new company, please check out Wave Crest Audio"

Here's the link to the product page: HVL-1 Two-Way Loudspeaker | Wave Crest Audio

Not much to look at...but given Ascend's track record, and the price... I'm mighty tempted to buy a pair.

Last edited:
W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Got the email too. Very interested in them.. might be the perfect solution for my extra room Zone 2 listening. Looking for something around $200-300. Probably will wait to someone else gets them and reviews them first though :). I'm sure if Dave F at Ascends participated in them, they'll be top notch at that price point.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I'm sure if Dave F at Ascends participated in them, they'll be top notch at that price point.
Dave Fabrikant (of Ascend Acoustics) is fully responsible for the design/engineering of the HVL-1.

Last edited:
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
If anyone is in the Los Angeles area, and would like a listen to the HVL-1, please let me know.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Got the email too. I may pick a pair up just to hear them. Interest is peaked. 30 day audition too.

(not that I am not happy with my BS22s :) )

Their chart:

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Not really fair for me to answer that, since I'm the one trying to sell them.

So what is on the website is what I think. :)
Oh, haha, fair enough. Your screen name over at the Ascend forum is a little more obvious.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Hmm... not a whole lot of buzz about these just yet. But since I like to root for the "underdog", I'll bump this...

Still thinking about taking the plunge and getting a pair while free shipping lasts... I can compare them to the Cambridge S30 I picked up recently (interestingly, I unknowingly bought a used pair of the Mapleshade modded S30's, paid used pricing for stock S30's) as well as the Boston Acoustics A25 refurbs I have on the way. I figure there are some out there that could benefit from that budget comparison.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Not really fair for me to answer that, since I'm the one trying to sell them.

So what is on the website is what I think. :)
Curtis, let me ask you this then...

Given that the goal of the HVL-1 is to provide a budget alternative that doesn't have the shortcomings of other products, is it safe to assume that the biggest shortcoming you find among other $200-250 speaker is underwhelming midrange performance?

I know it's touchy for you to discuss any specific brands since they're all competitors now... so I'm just asking in a general sense...

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Curtis, let me ask you this then...

Given that the goal of the HVL-1 is to provide a budget alternative that doesn't have the shortcomings of other products, is it safe to assume that the biggest shortcoming you find among other $200-250 speaker is underwhelming midrange performance?

I know it's touchy for you to discuss any specific brands since they're all competitors now... so I'm just asking in a general sense...
The short answer is "yes".

In evaluating the price range, there were at least a few things we wanted to address. One was overall balance, and for the most part, the midrange. Another was build quality.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
The short answer is "yes".

In evaluating the price range, there were at least a few things we wanted to address. One was overall balance, and for the most part, the midrange. Another was build quality.
Fair enough...

One more question for ya - Judging from the pics, it looks like the HLV-1 was designed with horizontal placement in mind... Can you talk at all about what was done to help provide more even dispersion when oriented horizontally, as compared to a standard TM speaker that would suffer from some lobing when placed on it's side?

I assume the small tweeter flange and closer driver spacing help... Any specific crossover "magic" by Dave to address this?

OK, so it ended up being 2 questions...:)

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Sorry, no crossover magic.

In my room, the horizontal placement of the HVL-1 didn't seem to present an issue, so we opted to use the picture.

I appreciate the questions.

alphaii, I forget where you reside, but if you get to the LA area, you are more than welcome to come over to evaluate.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Sorry, no crossover magic.

In my room, the horizontal placement of the HVL-1 didn't seem to present an issue, so we opted to use the picture.

I appreciate the questions.

alphaii, I forget where you reside, but if you get to the LA area, you are more than welcome to come over to evaluate.
I'm on the east coast (Baltimore), so no chance of me swinging by to listen.

Can you disclose the slope/frequency of the of the crossover?

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I'm on the east coast (Baltimore), so no chance of me swinging by to listen.

Can you disclose the slope/frequency of the of the crossover?
Hi alphaiii,

The crossover point is about 2khz, and the slopes create a Linkwitz-Riley 4th order acoustic.

I think what you may be trying to get at is the vertical off-axis response. The tweeter has a tuned damping chamber which lowers the resonance frequency and allows for the decently low crossover point and maintaining good power handling. This, combined with the close driver positioning...as close as we can get them together, allows/helps create a wide and symmetrical vertical off axis response, which is why it works well on its side, as I mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Quick Question, why not just buy the 200se's I own 3 sets, and use them for everything from surrounds in my 5.1 to bookshelf in my work garage... Im thinking for almost the same price the 200s are proven and strong with well known components...
How would you compare them?

As good for the less money?
On par with the cost difference, you get what you pay for?
Worth the extra money to go to the 200se's?
Save your money and buy the HVL-1's?
Would going from 200se's to the HVL1's be an upgrade or downgrade?

Answer which ever you want to without getting your self in trouble...

I have been growing into a bookshelf junky, since I cross to subs anyway I like the smaller tighter cabinet and found that a good bookshelf with a decent sealed fast sub sounds much better than a good set of towers with or without a sub....

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Quick Question, why not just buy the 200se's I own 3 sets, and use them for everything from surrounds in my 5.1 to bookshelf in my work garage... Im thinking for almost the same price the 200s are proven and strong with well known components...
How would you compare them?

As good for the less money?
On par with the cost difference, you get what you pay for?
Worth the extra money to go to the 200se's?
Save your money and buy the HVL-1's?
Would going from 200se's to the HVL1's be an upgrade or downgrade?

Answer which ever you want to without getting your self in trouble...

I have been growing into a bookshelf junky, since I cross to subs anyway I like the smaller tighter cabinet and found that a good bookshelf with a decent sealed fast sub sounds much better than a good set of towers with or without a sub....
Depends on what your goal is, and as always...it is subjective.

The HTM-200SE does not play as deep, but what it does play, it plays better.

I just set up a desktop system tonight for my daughter using a pair of HVL-1's and a Topping T30 t-amp that has a built-in USB DAC ($95 at Amazon). In this situation, I think I would prefer the HVL-1. It is less expensive, and has a fuller sound without the need of a sub and I can use it for demos when she is not using it. :)
IMG_0500-L.jpg

Paired with a good sub, the HVL-1 will have a bit warmer/lusher mid, while the HTM-200SE will have a more extended top end. You won't find a tweeter as good as the SEAS in the HTM-200SE in anything in its price class.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis