Wave Crest Audio HLV-1... Ascend designed budget bookshe

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Depends on what your goal is, and as always...it is subjective.

The HTM-200SE does not play as deep, but what it does play, it plays better.

I just set up a desktop system tonight for my daughter using a pair of HVL-1's and a Topping T30 t-amp that has a built-in USB DAC ($95 at Amazon). In this situation, I think I would prefer the HVL-1. It is less expensive, and has a fuller sound without the need of a sub and I can use it for demos when she is not using it. :)
View attachment 12144

Paired with a good sub, the HVL-1 will have a bit warmer/lusher mid, while the HTM-200SE will have a more extended top end. You won't find a tweeter as good as the SEAS in the HTM-200SE in anything in its price class.
Thank you, that is what I was looking for.. what is the finish? thats my only complaint about the 200s, I would have paid extra $ for a real finish...

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I had Ascend refinish my 200's....I know Dave wasn't keen on the idea because of the mdf cabinet ....but they turned out pretty good...IMHO. He told me that might be the last pair they do...you never know but it dose drive up the cost.:)

Here is a picture of my 200's in espresso...

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Thank you, that is what I was looking for.. what is the finish? thats my only complaint about the 200s, I would have paid extra $ for a real finish...
It is a black matte PVC wrap.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Hi alphaiii,

The crossover point is about 2khz, and the slopes create a Linkwitz-Riley 4th order acoustic.

I think what you may be trying to get at is the vertical off-axis response. The tweeter has a tuned damping chamber which lowers the resonance frequency and allows for the decently low crossover point and maintaining good power handling. This, combined with the close driver positioning...as close as we can get them together, allows/helps create a wide and symmetrical vertical off axis response, which is why it works well on its side, as I mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps.
Yep Curtis, that's exactly what I was getting at... b/c I know I don't have the room for a vertical center (not that all at least)... but I'm very curious about these speakers. The fact that you describe them as warmer/more lush than the HTM-200SE only furthers my curiosity, since I found the 200SE to be lean and bright.

Anyway - essentially, there is some xover magic - ie. it's not a shallow slope or high xover point like many budget speakers. Sure the off-axis response will not be even on both sides (when the speaker is on its side)... but I think that's a fair tradeoff for not having pronounced lobing effects that an MTM with shallow xover slope would exhibit.

D

davef

Audioholic Intern
Yep Curtis, that's exactly what I was getting at... b/c I know I don't have the room for a vertical center (not that all at least)... but I'm very curious about these speakers. The fact that you describe them as warmer/more lush than the HTM-200SE only furthers my curiosity, since I found the 200SE to be lean and bright.

Anyway - essentially, there is some xover magic - ie. it's not a shallow slope or high xover point like many budget speakers. Sure the off-axis response will not be even on both sides (when the speaker is on its side)... but I think that's a fair tradeoff for not having pronounced lobing effects that an MTM with shallow xover slope would exhibit.
Definitely warmer and more lush than the Ascend HTM-200SE... it is really a different sound altogether but quite nice and musical.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
FWIW... I arranged to get 3 of these from Curtis so I could do a review. I'll be using them in both 2.1 (music) and 3.1 (HT) configurations. I have to finish up another review first, but for those interested in knowing what the HVL-1's are capable of stay tuned...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
They look solid, especially for the price. How do they perform off-axis? I would be interested in seeing that type of measurement.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
They look solid, especially for the price. How do they perform off-axis? I would be interested in seeing that type of measurement.
I don't have any measurements handy, but better than you would expect from a $230/pr speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis