Watkins Generation Four or ProAc Tablette 10 Signature

Doge

Doge

Junior Audioholic
Any suggestions or experiences with either?
I cannot see them 1st. Watkins has a 14 day return, which I would not want to use.

Watkins are top of my price range, but I can do that. I am leaning that way.
I am buying feeling, of which sound is the biggest part, but other stuff matters too. Here I am asking about sound - and build. Sound being 80%:build. The other stuff is clear.

These will be driven by a 300B tube amp (Cary SEI-300) ~ 15W/ch that I will rarely run over 1/10 of the dial.

These sit on my desk, I am 4-5 feet from each speaker. I play at rather low volume - 50-70dBA.

I cannot hear the range I once could (late 50s),but I do pick up very small decibel and timing changes.
I prefer a single instrument (string) over a complex orchestra. I am listening 5-10 hours a day (desk = work).

Last edited:
Doge

Doge

Junior Audioholic
I just got my set. I am supposed to wait and break them in. I replaced some Martin Logan 35XT. These sit on my desk - on 8" stands each side of my computer monitor. I first had the ML on the left and the GenFour on the right for about 3 min. They didn't sound all that much different. Oh well, Bill was a nice guy - worth $1K delta (wife thinks that way). Anyway my right ear and left ear could not tell much. Stupid test, I know. So I went and hooked up the left. I'm new to this audio stuff (took a 30 year break), but sitting alone in my office - I smiled, I mean a big grin sitting all alone. It felt weird.
I do have an REL sub still on. Not sure if I need it, but I have it. So the ML with REL ~are just a little less costly than these. And they are not these (the REL is great), I'm just trying to provide a reference.

I'm driving with a 300B amp - 15W/channel and I doubt I will ever go over 1/3 dial. ~105dBA at about a meter (real measure, not real meter) at half dial. I listen about 65dBA-75dBA at my ears. If in a bigger room, I *might* want a bigger driver/amp.
As mentioned, I am a new guy to this and an older (58) new guy, but I am picky, and I expect these will live with me. The Watkins Generation fours are a no-brainer (brain still works).

Off topic. These are at my work desk - I said that. I expect to put in another hour each side to listen. Maybe every employer should buy these.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis