Want a phone that just works! Sick of iPhone/Apple useless crap in their effing updates!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I am absolutely fed up with Apple forcing updates that include useless crap that I don't need, want or care about and anything that might involve security or performance is shown at the bottom of the update info as an afterthought. I have found that some features and functions stop working, or don't work as well as before the update was released.

I'm also tired of EVERY effing app tracking me and the phone's activity- I'm actually thinking about getting a flip phone, if a decent one exists.

What do you people recommend?

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
I am absolutely fed up with Apple forcing updates that include useless crap that I don't need, want or care about and anything that might involve security or performance is shown at the bottom of the update info as an afterthought. I have found that some features and functions stop working, or don't work as well as before the update was released.

I'm also tired of EVERY effing app tracking me and the phone's activity- I'm actually thinking about getting a flip phone, if a decent one exists.

Amen brother! I have the iPhone 14 pro max. I wish Apple would At least give me the choice of what you want updated on Your device. Adding Useless wallpaper, new Emojis etc. Apple loves turning on Bluetooth, Location, Facetime, Gaming etc, after an update. Every time after an Apple update I have to go into my settings and turn all those back off. I do Not upload photos, Banking information, Account information, other apps like Amazon or the apps that I use to pay my bills to the iCloud.

Apple constantly begs me to upload photos and whatever to the cloud they can kiss it. Every time I backup my phone Apple constantly tells me oh you got all these apps turned off, not to be uploaded to the cloud. Turning these on would make it much easier if you decided to purchase a new phone or transfer the information to another phone apple can kiss it.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Amen brother! I have the iPhone 14 pro max. I wish Apple would At least give me the choice of what you want updated on Your device. Adding Useless wallpaper, new Emojis etc. Apple loves turning on Bluetooth, Location, Facetime, Gaming etc, after an update. Every time after an Apple update I have to go into my settings and turn all those back off. I do Not upload photos, Banking information, Account information, other apps like Amazon or the apps that I use to pay my bills to the iCloud.

Apple constantly begs me to upload photos and whatever to the cloud they can kiss it. Every time I backup my phone Apple constantly tells me oh you got all these apps turned off, not to be uploaded to the cloud. Turning these on would make it much easier if you decided to purchase a new phone or transfer the information to another phone apple can kiss it.
Totally sick of their BS- I use my phone for a lot, but gaming, watching movies/TV, emojis and the crap they market to kids ISN'T why I have it and I'm sick of them forcing that crap on me.

The tracking is really bothering me. Apple and the app owners don't need to know where I am every second of the day but most of that crap doesn't work if location services isn't turned on.

I just tried to see the details of the update on my phone's screen and it doesn't allow that, now- only "Update Now" and "Update Tonight".

They can KMA!

Why do I need them to change my lock screen? They don't! EVERY TIME they do this, I have to waste time changing the settings. I just saw something called 'Freeform'- I don't need it but it was tracking my phone's use.

This is from Apple- Why do I need this crap?

"This update introduces a new Pride Radiance wallpaper for the Lock Screen, Apple News enhancements, and other features, bug fixes, and security updates for your iPhone.
Apple News

Offline mode in Apple News+ gives you access to the Today feed and News+ tab, even when you don’t have an internet connection
  • Quartiles is a new and original daily word game that is now available in Apple News+
  • Scoreboard in News+ Puzzles gives you access to new player data for Crossword, Mini Crossword and Quartiles, including stats and streaks
Tracking Notifications
  • Cross-Platform Tracking Detection delivers notifications to users if a compatible Bluetooth tracker they do not own is moving with them, regardless of what operating system the device is paired with
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:"

If they can't prevent tracking, should they be writing code for mass-production and dissemination?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic

I gave up on apple years ago for several reasons and went with droid.

I feel like the droid updates aren't as intrusive and have actually improved over time. I don't have to go in and change settings back to where they were after an update anymore. Knock on wood!

What I'm not sure about where the useless crap is coming from? Is it from the operating system update (droid or apple) or is it pushed by your provider? I get a screen where I can select or reject the new apps it wants to load. This appears to be through my provider not the update itself. It still annoys me that I can't turn this off and automatically reject everything, but it's better than the alternative.

I also avoid the flagship models as these don't have an SD card slot. Memory is cheap. I have my entire music collection on my SD card with plenty of room left over. No need for cloud service. My music is available even when a connection isn't

I'm not sure if the basic simple flip phones are still out there. The cheapest ones I've seen still have internet access, gps, and support some apps.

highfigh

highfigh

I gave up on apple years ago for several reasons and went with droid.

I feel like the droid updates aren't as intrusive and have actually improved over time. I don't have to go in and change settings back to where they were after an update anymore. Knock on wood!

What I'm not sure about where the useless crap is coming from? Is it from the operating system update (droid or apple) or is it pushed by your provider? I get a screen where I can select or reject the new apps it wants to load. This appears to be through my provider not the update itself. It still annoys me that I can't turn this off and automatically reject everything, but it's better than the alternative.

I also avoid the flagship models as these don't have an SD card slot. Memory is cheap. I have my entire music collection on my SD card with plenty of room left over. No need for cloud service. My music is available even when a connection isn't

I'm not sure if the basic simple flip phones are still out there. The cheapest ones I've seen still have internet access, gps, and support some apps.
These updates show up in General, Software & Updates, so it's all from Apple.

I still have my old iPhone 6- if I really need to listen to music, I can load that and use it since I unloaded most of the apps and photos, so it has a lot of memory available for other uses.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've never used an iPhone. My android updates are occasional and don't require me, so far at least, to change anything back. Phones and tracking are just gonna happen I think...and even tho I stuck with a flip phone for a while, I do like the capabilities of the smart phone....use the smart features much more than the phone part.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Depends on what you use your phone for. It's basically the lesser of 3 evils in the higher end phones: Apple, Samsung or Google. Samsung modifies Android and installs a lot of their own crap, so I switched to the Pixel line from Google. It will still track a lot of things by default but you do have the option to turn the tracking features off if that's a concern. The Pixels have a good camera too, which was a must for me. When we traveled to Italy in April the Google Pay option was really handy and I used my phone for most purchases. Not everyone is comfortable registering their credit card on their phone, though.

The Pixel 6A is still a very capable phone for the money and the 7 offers good value too in the $500 dollar range. I got the Pixel 5A a while after release and I'm still using it. No need to upgrade yet. I got the 7 for my wife and son and they've both been happy with it. Another good cheaper Android phone is the OnePlus Nord N30.

If you don't rely on smartphone features and are seriously considering a flip phone, I would stick to a known cell phone company like Nokia or Alcatel. A quick search showed that most flip phones only support 4G which affects data access speeds.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Depends on what you use your phone for. It's basically the lesser of 3 evils in the higher end phones: Apple, Samsung or Google. Samsung modifies Android and installs a lot of their own crap, so I switched to the Pixel line from Google. It will still track a lot of things by default but you do have the option to turn the tracking features off if that's a concern. The Pixels have a good camera too, which was a must for me. When we traveled to Italy in April the Google Pay option was really handy and I used my phone for most purchases. Not everyone is comfortable registering their credit card on their phone, though.

The Pixel 6A is still a very capable phone for the money and the 7 offers good value too in the $500 dollar range. I got the Pixel 5A a while after release and I'm still using it. No need to upgrade yet. I got the 7 for my wife and son and they've both been happy with it. Another good cheaper Android phone is the OnePlus Nord N30.

If you don't rely on smartphone features and are seriously considering a flip phone, I would stick to a known cell phone company like Nokia or Alcatel. A quick search showed that most flip phones only support 4G which affects data access speeds.
Pixel A series is as "basic" as it gets for a phone that does everything a flagship phone will do, but not be as expensive. I've used a few and they've been great.

highfigh

highfigh

I needed to be able to show my customers how to operate some of the equipment I installed using their tablets and iPhones because most of them had/have a death grip on Apple stuff, but I use windows-based computers. I understand why a lot of people like Apple computers- they were basically the default for publishing and a lot of artistic uses but these people seemed to like them because it made them part of a damned club or something.

IMO, Apple has acted in some very arrogant ways and they don't seem receptive to complaints.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Apple is not known for their customer service but I will concede that the design work is still some of the best. They do seem to have a "take it or leave it" attitude. I don't criticize people for choosing Apple products. If you can afford to go with the Apple ecosystem it works together very well. It's still pretty much the standard for graphic arts. I've always had Windows PCs though and Apple does not play well with Windows.

I bought my daughter generations of iPhones as she liked the form factor of the smaller models and they just work without maintenance. As a developer, I didn't like the closed system that Apple uses and prefer the more open Android OS, but that can have its drawbacks as well.

I do know someone with a flip phone, but I am way to reliant on smartphone features to ever go backwards. Google maps was absolutely a God send while traveling in Italy this spring. That's one app I would pay a monthly subscription for if they put it behind a pay wall. If your concern is tracking, you can search YouTube videos for tutorials on locking down your phone. I follow Shannon Morse and she posts the occasional video on phone security but they may be Android focused. If you decide to try Android her security and privacy vids are here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeYHKbaShxTEddnQUtaxPmmXLg4D9P4RS

highfigh

highfigh

Apple is not known for their customer service but I will concede that the design work is still some of the best. They do seem to have a "take it or leave it" attitude. I don't criticize people for choosing Apple products. If you can afford to go with the Apple ecosystem it works together very well. It's still pretty much the standard for graphic arts. I've always had Windows PCs though and Apple does not play well with Windows.

I bought my daughter generations of iPhones as she liked the form factor of the smaller models and they just work without maintenance. As a developer, I didn't like the closed system that Apple uses and prefer the more open Android OS, but that can have its drawbacks as well.

I do know someone with a flip phone, but I am way to reliant on smartphone features to ever go backwards. Google maps was absolutely a God send while traveling in Italy this spring. That's one app I would pay a monthly subscription for if they put it behind a pay wall. If your concern is tracking, you can search YouTube videos for tutorials on locking down your phone. I follow Shannon Morse and she posts the occasional video on phone security but they may be Android focused. If you decide to try Android her security and privacy vids are here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeYHKbaShxTEddnQUtaxPmmXLg4D9P4RS
Apple also has more hair on fire security updates, too. AFAIK, Apple is targeted specifically because it's closed architecture and hackers don't like that- Microsoft has been targeted for the same reason.

I don't like being hounded by manufacturers whose apps and OS need to be updated so often- why not get it right and be sure it doesn't have holes before forcing us? I also HATE the bloatware they force on us and don't allow opting out. Every time I call AppleCare, they just say "It doesn't take up THAT much space", but it really shouldn't take up ANY space.

Should users really be required to spend/waste time securing a phone that should be secured by the manufacturer?

I'm actually considering an Orbic flip phone, just to avoid the BS.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am forced to use an Apple phone for work. OK, sure. I don't like the way IOS works, but I understand what it is the way it is. It is sort of like why self driving cars might be good for some people, and most of us see those inattentive or completely oblivious people every day. These people want a device they don't have to understand how to configure everything, they just want it to work.

I have a Macbook Air at home too, for internet activities, mainly those that work blocks. I didn't buy it because I like Apple, I got it dirt cheap lol, and it does what I need it for. For people who say they find it easier to use, I don't see it. I find it harder to use than Windows and while some features are nice to have, they don't outweigh the odd design changes that mainly seem to have been just to differentiate it. Maybe for a novice, it is easier to learn, not necessarily easier to use.

I have a few apps that are only supported on Mac OS. The vast majority of those I use and manage though, including all of the ones my career is based on (CAD), are Windows based.

One of my regular drinking buddies works there. I agree, their hardware design is really quite good. They do however, seem to develop in their own little silo. They want to be the one other companies are chasing, but being a big company and to maintain their level of secrecy, they aren't as quick to adjust what they're doing to industry changes. Their differentiators are slowly shrinking.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... A quick search showed that most flip phones only support 4G which affects data access speeds.
And many phone companies may not let you in as a new customer so they can retire 4G altogether. I tried with xfinity, no go.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I am forced to use an Apple phone for work. OK, sure. I don't like the way IOS works, but I understand what it is the way it is. It is sort of like why self driving cars might be good for some people, and most of us see those inattentive or completely oblivious people every day. These people want a device they don't have to understand how to configure everything, they just want it to work.

I have a Macbook Air at home too, for internet activities, mainly those that work blocks. I didn't buy it because I like Apple, I got it dirt cheap lol, and it does what I need it for. For people who say they find it easier to use, I don't see it. I find it harder to use than Windows and while some features are nice to have, they don't outweigh the odd design changes that mainly seem to have been just to differentiate it. Maybe for a novice, it is easier to learn, not necessarily easier to use.

I have a few apps that are only supported on Mac OS. The vast majority of those I use and manage though, including all of the ones my career is based on (CAD), are Windows based.

One of my regular drinking buddies works there. I agree, their hardware design is really quite good. They do however, seem to develop in their own little silo. They want to be the one other companies are chasing, but being a big company and to maintain their level of secrecy, they aren't as quick to adjust what they're doing to industry changes. Their differentiators are slowly shrinking.
I work with Apple on the regular as one of the partners for my company. Recently I was at a training and they straight up said that they treat their customers like users, not admins. It's not as bad with macOS, but iOS is for sure very locked down. I have always preferred Android, but I'm and admin so that makes sense.

I don't tinker with my phone anymore. I just need it to work and work well. My Pixel 8 has a crazy good camera, which is one of my must have features. It doesn't hurt that spam call blocking is excellent and all the other neat things it can do. It wasn't cheap, but it also wasn't $1500.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, the Pixel 8 is not cheap but a great phone. That's why I recommend the 7 if you want a better price / performance ratio and the 6A for a 'cheap' smartphone. I agree with the excellent spam call blocking. It's the best phone I've owned for blacking spam. All models have decent cameras but they do improve with each iteration.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
And many phone companies may not let you in as a new customer so they can retire 4G altogether. I tried with xfinity, no go.
Interesting. Verizon keeps sending me offers for 5g phones, but doesn't have 5g service here :)

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Apple also has more hair on fire security updates, too. AFAIK, Apple is targeted specifically because it's closed architecture and hackers don't like that- Microsoft has been targeted for the same reason.
That's plain wrong. The only real difference is how Apple vs Others share their security information. Companies like Microsoft for instance are forthright letting people and companies know when there's a vulnerability risk or when one is found and when a fix is coming. Apple likes to keep a tight lid on it. They are both being hacked and trying to stay ahead of the hackers as we speak.

While I'll give Apple a thumbs up on how they present their products. They do produce pretty products. The internal designs, software, and reliability aren't any better than other companies. The Apple army believes way too many myths.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
While I'll give Apple a thumbs up on how they present their products. They do produce pretty products. The internal designs, software, and reliability aren't any better than other companies. The Apple army believes way too many myths.
While I won't question security, internal designs, or reliability, there is one objective criterion by which Apple is one or even two generations ahead of everyone else, and that's its SOC or Processor. Just look at any cross-platform benchmark. This wouldn't be the case if Qualcomm bothered to do anything to improve ARM designs instead of cheaping out and doing the bare minimum to implement them as is.

iPhones are more power efficient with the power and need smaller batteries - not that savings are ever passed on to customers.

Also, having a walled garden and tighter control on apps, which limits consumer choices In some aspects, it does provide better software curation, allowing fewer malicious apps to get through. Again, this is not speculation but a fact. Just browse just the Ars Technica on removed malicious apps from Google Play. There are dozens of such cases.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
While I won't question security, internal designs, or reliability, there is one objective criterion by which Apple is one or even two generations ahead of everyone else, and that's its SOC or Processor. Just look at any cross-platform benchmark. This wouldn't be the case if Qualcomm bothered to do anything to improve ARM designs instead of cheaping out and doing the bare minimum to implement them as is.

iPhones are more power efficient with the power and need smaller batteries - not that savings are ever passed on to customers.
Perhaps for the current model. But technology 101 is to keep outdoing your competition. Even if the current droid is gen behind, does it matter in the real world? It's not like I don't see people trying to recharge their iphones all the time or my friends/GF iphones are clearly outperforming my droid.

Also, having a walled garden and tighter control on apps, which limits consumer choices In some aspects, it does provide better software curation, allowing fewer malicious apps to get through. Again, this is not speculation but a fact. Just browse just the Ars Technica on removed malicious apps from Google Play. There are dozens of such cases.
Don't believe everything you read. Moreover, this goes exactly to my point. Apple doesn't publicize all the times their phones (or computers for that matter), and apps on their phones, have been hacked. Again, apple isn't transparent about these issues. This apparently is a good strategy

Just for fun I browsed AT and searched for an iphone security issue where the phone itself was hacked. One that I know of that caused lots of grief. Almost nothing came up. What may have pertained to it was dismissed. Thus, the apple army says it's not true. I followed this up by a web search and had to use specific info to find any information on it.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Totally sick of their BS- I use my phone for a lot, but gaming, watching movies/TV, emojis and the crap they market to kids ISN'T why I have it and I'm sick of them forcing that crap on me.

The tracking is really bothering me. Apple and the app owners don't need to know where I am every second of the day but most of that crap doesn't work if location services isn't turned on.

I just tried to see the details of the update on my phone's screen and it doesn't allow that, now- only "Update Now" and "Update Tonight".

They can KMA!
. . .
This is not quite a KMA, but the DOJ sued Apple earlier this year for antitrust violations, which may provide some satisfaction (I doubt it will seriously hinder Apple's efforts to track everything 24-7, however).

>>>“I am quite glad that access to SMS messages is restricted,” said Strafach, creator of the Guardian Firewall app.

He notes that a number of apps, ostensibly for weather and news, on iPhones have secretly and persistently sent users’ GPS data to third parties. Strafach said he is concerned weakened Apple security “could open the door to stalkerware/spouseware, which is already more difficult to install on Apple devices compared to Android.”

However, prominent critic Cory Doctorow has complained that while Apple has blocked entities like Facebook from spying on its users it runs its “own surveillance advertising empire” that gathers the same kinds of personal data but for its own use.

“Apple has a history of clandestine deals with surveillance giants like Google, and (CEO) Tim Cook gave Uber a slap on the wrist instead of an app store ban when (the ride-sharing company) built a backdoor to spy on iPhone users who had already deleted Uber’s app,” noted Sean O’Brien, founder of Yale’s Privacy Lab.<<<

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis