Wall mounting bookshelf speakers - 3/8-16 threaded insert at bottom rather than top

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
I've faced similar problems in the past. When you can't find a wall stud where you need it, try this instead. Get some wood, poplar, oak, or plywood (paint it later), 1" or ¾" thick, about 4" or 5" wide, and what ever length works for your ball/socket mount. Attach the wood to the wall using two of what ever hardware works best for lathe & plaster. Then attach the ball/socket mount to the wood with wood screws.
If I follow correctly you’re suggesting I can use more robust hardware to anchor the wood to the wall than possible using the mount alone? And it spreads out the shear force and moment over a larger area?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
One other idea... if you want to avoid drilling large holes, and you think you have the Stud located, Structural Screws are a good option... more expensive than a Lag Screw, but a smaller diameter is much stronger. I've used GRK RSS many times and am very satisfied.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If I follow correctly you’re suggesting I can use more robust hardware to anchor the wood to the wall than possible using the mount alone? And it spreads out the shear force and moment over a larger area?
Yes

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
All these seem like good ideas. But remember, these are NINE lb. speakers ;).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
All these seem like good ideas. But remember, these are NINE lb. speakers ;).
I wouldn't hang a nine pound speaker on a nine pound mount near the New Madrid or San Andreas Fault... :)

Commercial strength 3m doubled sided tape would work.
Was that a unicorn I just saw? With Rainbows flying out of its @$$?!! :p :) :)
But yes... applied properly... yes. ;)

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
I wouldn't hang a nine pound speaker on a nine pound mount near the New Madrid or San Andreas Fault... :)

Was that a unicorn I just saw? With Rainbows flying out of its @$$?!! :p :) :)
But yes... applied properly... yes. ;)
Is now the wrong time to mention my 1906 lathe and plaster-walled home is in San Francisco?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is now the wrong time to mention my 1906 lathe and plaster-walled home is in San Francisco?
I grew up in St. Louis (where the New Madrid made the Mississippi flow backwards!) and now call the Bay my home (since 1998).
You make the call... but I mentioned way up above to get mounts rated at least twice the weight of your Speakers.

Those K&Ms are rated for something like 80#. And with 6 Lags each going into studs and very good anchors where there aren't studs...

Need I say more?

Suffice it to say, a 9# wooden box becoming a projectile is NOT a good thing. Get a mount rated for 25-35# is my advice. Then mount it like you plan on winning the Bull Ride! :p

M

michaelsd

Audiophyte
Much appreciated. These speakers are little guys, only 9 lbs, and I'm comfortable with an off the shelf swivel mount. These are what I've ordered (attached). My concern now is finding studs in my lathe and plaster walls (circa 1906), which is always an exciting challenge. Failing that, it will have to be expanding anchor bolts.

I'll do a trial run in the unfinished garage where I can see the studs to test the mounts. I'm still not sure whether I trust the threaded connection at the bottom of the speaker (attached). Seems counter intuitive.
Hello,
I just bought the same RP 400m speakers and am searching for good tilting threaded insert wall mounting brackets. How did your turn out? Can you recommend a good bracket? thanks

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
Hello,
I just bought the same RP 400m speakers and am searching for good tilting threaded insert wall mounting brackets. How did your turn out? Can you recommend a good bracket? thanks
I wound up going with these. Not threaded insert, bottom-clamping. But I'm pleased with them. The threaded rod was just too flimsy, I felt like the speakers were going to crash to the floor at any moment.

M

michaelsd

Audiophyte

I wound up going with these. Not threaded insert, bottom-clamping. But I'm pleased with them. The threaded rod was just too flimsy, I felt like the speakers were going to crash to the floor at any moment.

Thanks for the recommendation. How does the speaker attach to the bracket? Do you drill screws into the speaker cabinet?

T

Tommytinks

Audiophyte
Please give details on how you mounted speakers to the L bracket... I am in a situation where I need to set up but don't know how thank you very much

You can not mount them upside down. Speakers are pretty heavy. If you are going to use a screw, then you had better find a stud, if you don't want to repair sheet rock. Those swivel mounting brackets are useless.

When I did an installation for some one and they wanted wall mounted surrounds, I made aluminum brackets from 1" angle stock. Screwed them to the 4 X 4 s and screwed the speakers to the brackets top and bottom.

The other thing you can do is build a shelf for it screwed to the 4 x 4s. That is probably the neatest and is very safe. Like in the picture below.

Speakers are heavy and you have to be careful wall mounting them.
[/QUOTE

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis