Walking Causing Global Warming

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article2195538.ece

Walking does more than driving to cause global warming, a leading environmentalist has calculated.

"Food production is now so energy-intensive that more carbon is emitted providing a person with enough calories to walk to the shops than a car would emit over the same distance. The climate could benefit if people avoided exercise, ate less and became couch potatoes.
"

:D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article2195538.ece

Walking does more than driving to cause global warming, a leading environmentalist has calculated.

"Food production is now so energy-intensive that more carbon is emitted providing a person with enough calories to walk to the shops than a car would emit over the same distance. The climate could benefit if people avoided exercise, ate less and became couch potatoes.
"

:D
Total bunk.

He seems to compare the CO2 generated by the vehicle itself to all of the CO2 generated to bring you your beef. He apparently totally ignores the CO2 generated in producing the fuel for your vehicle.

Furthermore, he assumes 100% of your daily caloric intake is from beef. Beef, as we know, is one of the most inefficient ways to get calories into your body due to the gigantic amount of effort needed to produce it.

"We need to become accustomed to the idea that our food production systems are equally damaging... We need to become accustomed to the idea that our food production systems are equally damaging."

That's absolutely true, and should be the real take-home message from this BS article.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Total bunk.

He seems to compare the CO2 generated by the vehicle itself to all of the CO2 generated to bring you your beef. He apparently totally ignores the CO2 generated in producing the fuel for your vehicle.

Furthermore, he assumes 100% of your daily caloric intake is from beef. Beef, as we know, is one of the most inefficient ways to get calories into your body due to the gigantic amount of effort needed to produce it.
Reason isn't why these are posted. Just an FYI there is no point trying to use it after reading the articles. At least not with buckeye.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
So, if I give up walking, is it OK for me to fart a lot?:eek:

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Reason isn't why these are posted. Just an FYI there is no point trying to use it after reading the articles. At least not with buckeye.
I don't care what Buckeye thinks. I was just responding to the article itself.

The headline is essentially a bastardization of "it takes tremendous amounts of fossil fuel to bring food to your table - especially meat."

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I don't care what Buckeye thinks. I was just responding to the article itself.

The headline is essentially a bastardization of "it takes tremendous amounts of fossil fuel to bring food to your table - especially meat."
I figured, just thought I would point it out. I would have to agree with your assessment after reading the article.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
C'mon...If man-made global warming is real, then why cant walking cause global warming too?? I think the author makes some valid points....no??

Sarcasm aside.... One thing is for certain, and that is liberal thought is always good for a few cheap laughs at the expense of those dispensing it. We should give this lefty author credit for trying to put his inadequate wet noodle to work!! I guess the same can be said for all man-made GW alarmist kooks. Liberal thinking is in itself..... an oxymoron.;)

Last edited:
B

batman

Enthusiast
C'mon...If man-made global warming is real, then why cant walking cause global warming too?? I think the author makes some valid points....no??

Sarcasm aside.... One thing is for certain, and that is liberal thought is always good for a few cheap laughs at the expense of those dispensing it. We should give this lefty author credit for trying to put his inadequate wet noodle to work!! I guess the same can be said for all man-made GW alarmist kooks. Liberal thinking is in itself..... an oxymoron.;)
As sure as I am that there is always more than one perspective from which a picture can* be and will be observed, I am equally certain that there is ALWAYS a bigger picture. While the intellectual exercises contained in this debate are healthy on a fundamental scale, I could do without the emotional discharge which obviously contributed to buckeye's rant about the author. Ultimately an emotional thought structure is blindly clung to by those incapable of constructing logical thought on their own. For in logic lies true reason supported graciously by an intrinsic tact, woefully absent in the emotional.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
As sure as I am that there is always more than one perspective from which a picture can* be and will be observed, I am equally certain that there is ALWAYS a bigger picture. While the intellectual exercises contained in this debate are healthy on a fundamental scale, I could do without the emotional discharge which obviously contributed to buckeye's rant about the author. Ultimately an emotional thought structure is blindly clung to by those incapable of constructing logical thought on their own. For in logic lies true reason supported graciously by an intrinsic tact, woefully absent in the emotional.
Well said (I think), Mr. Spock.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis