William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You, sir, are a man of few words. Me, not so much. :D
Lol. We’ll mostly I’m full of words. However I’m not full on time these days. Besides. I didn’t have much to add. Your story sounds similar to mine in that it’s always a discussion, even if one of us pulls out the veto card. We both are equally invested here so in our opinions, we both have a say.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My wife is low maintenance and completely on board with good sound. The battle with her is always strictly just spending the money. A battle easily won by upgrading her tablet or phone...

Makes upgrading more expensive than it needs to be but I can do pretty much whatever I want.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My wife is low maintenance and completely on board with good sound. The battle with her is always strictly just spending the money. A battle easily won by upgrading her tablet or phone...

Makes upgrading more expensive than it needs to be but I can do pretty much whatever I want.
My wife is getting a new tablet for her birthday next week. Hopefully soften the blow for the speakers I want to get. ;)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There are many ways to attach a panel without the screw caps- look at a variety of speaker grills and you'll see some good ones. Most recently, small rare earth magnets have become the 'go to' for this and they're invisible.

I'll shoot a couple of photos of the speaker plates when I go to the house where the existing equipment will be removed- they really look bad, IMO.

Here's one model from Polk-

View attachment 49530
This was over 20 years ago and I was still learning the reno biz but the end result was nice at the time. Props to my dad for instilling the desire to learn and do things myself.

This was part of a reno gone bad where I ended up doing all of the interior work myself. I was going to relate the whole story but it got rather long. If anyone cares to read several long paragraphs about a reno horror story and how we coped, I can post on request. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
We joke about WAF all of the time but it's a matter of respect. We both worked full time. We both paid off the mortgage. Both our names are on title. I would have to be a complete ass to tell my wife, screw you, I'm doing whatever I feel like. I may use the space more than she does, but she also enjoys the HT experience on occasion. It's a partnership so I ask her opinion on the things she cares about. She cares about decor, but we still always shop together. Every paint colour, carpet pattern and big piece of furniture was purchased together. We have similar tastes so there have never been any big arguments.

Household finances are going to affect this of course. Some couples keep separate bank accounts, and thus are free to spend what they want as long as the bills get paid. We've had a joint account since we bought the house, which was before we got married. I look at things logically and separate finances leads to arguments about who contributes how much and who pays for what. We do have separate savings accounts for personal stuff so as to maintain some autonomy but it's all about balance. I'll admit I'm blessed, though. My wife is not a shopper, like some of our neighbours who seem to bring shopping bags home every week. She loves to travel and worked as a travel consultant, so she saves up for big trips and I let her do all of the planning. Car is on it's last breath? She saves up for a down payment on the next one. We have a great relationship and while I consider us decidedly middle-class and far from wealthy, we rarely argue about finances.

So, yeah, if I put a big screen in the living room, she'll get a say as to where it goes and what style cabinet we'll get for the components. I'll pick out the model and features as that's my area of expertise, but she'll have a say on what the budget will be. If I wanted to do all of this entirely on my own, well, I wouldn't have gotten married in the first place then. ;)
Ditto. Relationships aren't that complicated until people make them complicated.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This was over 20 years ago and I was still learning the reno biz but the end result was nice at the time. Props to my dad for instilling the desire to learn and do things myself.

This was part of a reno gone bad where I ended up doing all of the interior work myself. I was going to relate the whole story but it got rather long. If anyone cares to read several long paragraphs about a reno horror story and how we coped, I can post on request. :)
We have a DIY section for a reason :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
We have a DIY section for a reason :)
No hifi involved in this reno story and my HT room photos are already posted. I don't want to assume that anyone cares about some Canuck rambling on about a reno gone bad. My KEF restoration is coming along nicely though.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm always quite happy with how much my wife enjoys the AV in our home. In the family room she has allowed floor standing speakers without argument. Never even a whisper of a problem.

The basement is entirely my domain, so whatever speakers, projector, screen, colors, etc. are all up to me. It's almost tough to get her involved to even get an opinion.

I truly have no stomach for the guy who gets on and says they are building a theater into a basement space and he isn't allowed to paint it dark. That's just something I wouldn't tolerate. I encourage a civil discussion with the partner, but I don't have any real understanding and I wouldn't put up with that BS. My wife really does have full say and I rarely argue with every other room in our home. She can paint them how she chooses and I'm fine with it. But, once I hit the theater, then that's my space that I'm creating for a specific reason, and she has always given me the same respect that I've given her.

I've had few clients who have had issues or complaints with dark theater designs. At the end of the day, the dark rooms always look better and create another space for their family to enjoy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've never heard of "WAF" either until I joined AH.

I have never asked my wife for advice on what speakers, electronics, etc. to buy. I have never asked my wife what kind of car or clothes to buy either.

And my wife has never had to ask me what kind of car she should drive or purses and shoes she should buy either. :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Agree. Been married 39 years and I've found out, whats mine is hers, and whats hers is hers. ;)
I've been married over 45 years and two keys to a long term marriage....... separate checking accounts and separate bathrooms !

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've never heard of "WAF" either until I joined AH.

I have never asked my wife for advice on what speakers, electronics, etc. to buy. I have never asked my wife what kind of car or clothes to buy either.

And my wife has never had to ask me what kind of car she should drive or purses and shoes she should buy either. :D
And if one of you ever decided to break and ask the other, the correct answer is always "whatever makes you happy". :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've heard it said that the Ladies have gone on record saying this type of attitude is not sexy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And if one of you ever decided to break and ask the other, the correct answer is always "whatever makes you happy". :)
The truth is, she actually just tells me what she wants to buy (for herself) and I buy it for her. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've heard it said that the Ladies have gone on record saying this type of attitude is not sexy.
Me thinks the delivery might be the issue. Lots of ways to say "whatever makes you happy" and a lot of them aren't going to be a good time.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Sometimes, getting approval just requires some thinking outside the box. To get approval for my basement rec room home theatre, including a projector, I had to hide the front speakers and pair of subwoofers behind a false wall covered in speaker grill cloth. To get approval for a pair of subwoofers in my living room 2-channel setup, I had to install them in the ceiling, so that the enclosures sat in the attic. It was all a lot of extra work, but in the end, I got what I wanted. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis