VTF-3 MK5 or VTF-2 MK5?

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I spent some time with a sealed 18" Ultimax kit from, and have decided it doesn't really fit with my other 3 subs ( two SVS PC-2000s and a HSU VTF-3 MK4)- obviously:rolleyes::p:D

I've looked over the measurements for the 3 and the 2 side by side, and it looks line they're not terribly different, save for greater output by the 3 at 16hz. It seems the primary differences are power and size. My current HSU looks to have the same amp as the 2. They both have amps rated lower than my PC-2000s, but my VTF-3 MK4 is definitely more powerful at same gain level.

I can get the VTF-2 for roughly the same price (minus shipping) as my refund from from Crutchfield for my Crown XLS 2502, but would like opinions from the group about one versus the other.

Btw- my room is about 2750 cu. ft., and I'm using a Denon 4400h with a MiniDSP 2x4HD

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would start by calling Hsu and asking the difference between the newer models. Matching your older Hsu as close as possible would be beneficial and I'm certain they will help you make the best choice.
Also, it has come up many times (when looking at subwoofer wattage) that this is a very misleading spec: the criteria for what the driver itself needs to perform well can vary significantly based on its sensitivity, so a more highly sensitive driver won't have the same power requirements. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why do you feel that the Ultimax does not fit in with the other subs?

While the VTF-2 mk5 would be a better match for a VTF-3 mk4 and PC-2000, the VTF-3 mk5 is so much more powerful that it is difficult not to encourage you to go that route.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've never heard the VT-F2s but I own a pair of the 3s and love 'em. Your room isn't all that big tho. Are you having issues with your bass response?

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
@shadyJ the response curve on the Ultimax, while pretty good looking on it's own, doesn't integrate that well with the others. It made sense to me that their relative strengths and weaknesses would be complimentary, I've been having a pretty difficult time trying to flatten things out.

@Pogre My issue is getting a response without a couple of big suckouts- output isn't anywhere near a problem, haha! I've created filters in REW that address those suckouts, but addressing one frequency has a collateral effect on another. It becomes this Cascade effect, if you will.

My general thought is to have 4 subs that, while not completely identical, are tuned similarly to a point of being able to eq them as flatly as possible, then be able to see about creating a house curve to tune the response to my liking.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@shadyJ the response curve on the Ultimax, while pretty good looking on it's own, doesn't integrate that well with the others. It made sense to me that their relative strengths and weaknesses would be complimentary, I've been having a pretty difficult time trying to flatten things out.

@Pogre My issue is getting a response without a couple of big suckouts- output isn't anywhere near a problem, haha! I've created filters in REW that address those suckouts, but addressing one frequency has a collateral effect on another. It becomes this Cascade effect, if you will.

My general thought is to have 4 subs that, while not completely identical, are tuned similarly to a point of being able to eq them as flatly as possible, then be able to see about creating a house curve to tune the response to my liking.
It would be easier to simply have identical subs, tho.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
It would be easier to simply have identical subs, tho.
No doubt. I'll have to think on it. Maybe sell my PB-1000 for $300, take the $600 I'm getting back for the XLS, then dish the rest on a pair of PC's. I gotta say- I really do like the form factor. I could line all four of them up right behind my couch, like four outboards on the transom of a sportfisher! :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No doubt. I'll have to think on it. Maybe sell my PB-1000 for $300, take the $600 I'm getting back for the XLS, then dish the rest on a pair of PC's. I gotta say- I really do like the form factor. I could line all four of them up right behind my couch, like four outboards on the transom of a sportfisher! :p
Whatcha doing with the UM18/box if you're returning the amp?

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Or three more UM-18 kits and another amp :) Cost a lot less....

ps nm thought he only had one PC2000....but still less :)
At this point I'm working 12 days on, 2 off- out the door at 600a, back between 800p and 900p. Taking an entire city's power underground (Paradise- the Camp Fire town) is no small undertaking. It'll be 5 to 7 years by the time it's done.

The time saved, spent just vegging out, is worth the extra couple hundred bucks ;)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Man, maybe I should grab another PC from the outlet, working my way towards 4. I really do believe I'd get more sub for the money with a HSU, but the footprint of the PC is so attractive to me. I don't see myself with a MUCH bigger room than what I'm working with ATM, meaning quad PC's would probably be enoughh. Down the line, when I build my house, it will have a dedicated theater in it, which will be considerably larger, but at that point the entire system might look significantly different, and that's 5 years down the road, minimum.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you like the column styling you could maybe hope for Bossobass....a bunch of stacks of theirs could be awesome! http://www.bossobass.com/Bossobass.com/Raptor Systems.html
You've linked those before! They're pretty cool too. I guess some folks aren't very big on it, but I like the cylinder shape. Lately I've been wondering how 4 PC2000s would perform up against my 2 VTF-3s. I have the room for them with their footprint.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis