T

TheArt

Audiophyte
Still Believe Cables are Voodoo??

I happened upon this thread because a friend recently bought VPMS RM30's.

First, I want to point out that these speakers are HIGHLY adjustable. So it's easy to understand how people have had different experiences with them - natural sounding vs colored, etc.

What I am really interested in knowing is whether - 3 years later - you still believe that cables are "voodoo". Anyone change their minds since then?

There was a time I might have agreed (though not as late as 2005). But I have long-since known that interconnects, cables, power cords, and even speaker cables can make a significant - NOT subtle - difference in sound.

This does not mean you have to spend thousands on wire to get good sound. As with other components, cost doesn't always correspond with quality. And of course, component-matching is very important with wires as well. The goal is always to achieve synergy, not to throw as much money into your system as possible.

I mentioned bargains. Here are a couple of examples...

My speaker cables are the original Kimber 4PR (about $3.40/ft.) and I'll compare them to anything... except maybe the latest Kimbers (Monocle, Bifocal, Trifocal). I need 20 ft. per side, and I bi-wire. So I use 80 ft. of Kimber 4PR, which cost me all of $275.

Nordhost Blue Heaven interconnects list for $225 per 1 m. pr. A well-known cable designer told me he likes them better than any other Nordhost cable, even the (ridiculously expensive) flagship Valhalla. In fact, he likes them better than just about ANY expensive interconnects... but his own.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis