Vizio TV Not Turning On...Blinks At Me. :(

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
indulger that was funny I'm glad you got it to work and free is always nice too.:D

agarwalro I think If I don't get my Vizio to work I'm looking at Panasonic Viera which is what I really wanted. LASTLY TLC TV from amazon:Amazon.com: TCL L40FHDF12TA 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV with 2-Year Warranty: Electronics ) I do have a 22 inch Vizio which is going strong, so far...

Adam it won't turn on at all. Just blinks the Vizio Logo. There is a soldered fuse that is on the power board, so I may buy that and see if that is the issue. Will cost me $8.00, so not a big deal.
You do know a fuse can be checked, right? If the fuse is the only one in the TV and it's bad, you wouldn't even see the Vizio light flashing. Do you know how to troubleshoot electronics? We have no indication but the comment about it looking simple enough leads me to believe that you see a few boards, so it's simple.

First, find out what issues Vizio TVs have, other than the fact that the CEO has stated that their TVs aren't supported after the warranty ends. For me, that's a problem. Too much disposable crap has been troweled out already.

If you know how to repair electronics, go ahead, If not, I would take it to someone who does.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You do know a fuse can be checked, right? If the fuse is the only one in the TV and it's bad, you wouldn't even see the Vizio light flashing.
Yeah I realized that when I took it off. I've been reading the service repair will be bwtn $200-300, so no I will not get it serviced. I'd rather get a new one. The TCL is looking tempting but no 260 price yet. :D

mtrycrafts I did contact them through the chat feature online, but the 30 sec. reset did not work. I also unplugged it over night and re-plugged and nothing but blinking. I will contact them again to see what they say. There is a USB thing they send out to update the TV, but I don't think they send them anymore according to what I've been reading online...and still my 22" Vizio till runs good. I got used to watching my 37" that it looks so tiny now. :) Has there been anything about plugging the HDTV to a 7.1 surround receiver via HDMI cable and it causing damage to the TV?

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Yeah I realized that when I took it off. I've been reading the service repair will be bwtn $200-300, so no I will not get it serviced. I'd rather get a new one. The TCL is looking tempting but no 260 price yet. :D

mtrycrafts I did contact them through the chat feature online, but the 30 sec. reset did not work. I also unplugged it over night and re-plugged and nothing but blinking. I will contact them again to see what they say. There is a USB thing they send out to update the TV, but I don't think they send them anymore according to what I've been reading online...and still my 22" Vizio till runs good. I got used to watching my 37" that it looks so tiny now. :) Has there been anything about plugging the HDTV to a 7.1 surround receiver via HDMI cable and it causing damage to the TV?
You'd hope that connecting a TV to a 7.1 surround system wouldn't do any damage but, in light of the CEO's comment about Vizio not supporting their TVs that are out of warranty, I have my suspicions that they don't pay for designs that are particularly robust. I had been tempted to buy one to try it out after reading good comments about the picture quality but I really have a problem when goods are made to be tossed instead of serviced. People used to complain about "planned obsolescence" when I was a kid and now, it's all that's available.

For Plasma, I like Panasonic and for LCD/LED, I like Sharp. Sony no longer designs or builds their TVs and they don't make parts available, either. They replace with a refurbed TV. Samsung makes panels for several companies and picks the best for their own use, selling the lesser quality ones. They (and Sharp) were just hit with a $558M judgement for price-fixing on their panels, so I guess we'll see how that plays out WRT product pricing.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well I did another chat with a Vizio support. Same thing it was suggested I send it to a tech in my area. He gave me an estimate of $200-500 to fix it. I was thinking maybe I can just buy the main board(bout' $100.00 shipped) for them to install it for me. Anyone know what the charge would be if I do that? I sure it would take less than 30 min. to install.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well I did another chat with a Vizio support. Same thing it was suggested I send it to a tech in my area. He gave me an estimate of $200-500 to fix it. I was thinking maybe I can just buy the main board(bout' $100.00 shipped) for them to install it for me. Anyone know what the charge would be if I do that? I sure it would take less than 30 min. to install.
You can't service electronics like that. You have no clue how to service. If you proceed like you are you will waste money.

The first thing to do, is always to check the power supply and make sure the correct voltages are present at all the boards.

The first board you showed is the power supply, and it is a horrid nasty cheap switching power supply. That is much more likely to be the source of trouble.

Modern boards are not serviceable as a rule due to a lot surface mount components that can only be mounted by robot.

Switching power supplies are a nightmare to service and I won't do them any more.

I would send the miserable thing to the recycling center.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
TLS Guy here is the main board can you see anything bad on there?

Better pic of power board:

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS Guy here is the main board can you see anything bad on there?

Better pic of power board:
No, visual inspection is of no help.

If you do find burnt components, they are not usually the cause of the problem, but the result of the component that is the cause of the failure.

So you never replace burnt components and just switch on!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I was thinking maybe I can just buy the main board(bout' $100.00 shipped) for them to install it for me.
I can understand wanting to save, but, don't end up being penny wise and pound foolish. At least know what is wrong before spending on a suspected issue.

You can't service electronics like that. You have no clue how to service. If you proceed like you are you will waste money.
+1.

It'll probably cost $100 just to troubleshoot and get an estimate.
...and know what is actually broken, if at all. If the Main Board was gone, you would get some default screen or black screen with a 'No Signal' message. The symptom you mention, albeit inconclusive, points more to a Power Board issue than Main Board.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No sane tech would do what you want to do.

If it still didn't work after you replaced the part, you would try to say they did something wrong. Heck, whatever caused the original problem could easily blow this board as well, assuming the problem is in that board to begin with.

Unless you're prepared to let the tech handle it 100% and he can guarantee his work, he'll just laugh at you.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
From what ive read on Vizio, they are kind of a disposable tv. You get them at a low cost, get decent performance out of them but when they go their gone. Thats not a slam on Vizio i actually like their newer models. But i think thats how they are designed to be. I listen to podcasts such as HTGuys & AVRant. This topic has been discussed before. Its worth taking in to see if it can be fixed at price thats worth it. But i wouldnt be suprised if its nothing more than a wall ornament unfortunately.

But keep us informed if you find out whats wrong. Hole you get her up & runnin soon. Or use this as an excuse for a new 65" Panny!! :)
Thats prevalent in the electronics industry period and not just common to Vizio.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well my persistence payed off. I ordered the Main Board from a ebay seller Jan 10 for less than 80 bucks shipped (Ground UPS). Got it 6 days later. I hooked it up myself and bing bang boom it WORKED!:eek::eek::eek: Seems like LG makes these boards. The TV looks amazing as ever! It's been a week today and man am I happy.:D:D:D

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
Well my persistence payed off. I ordered the Main Board from a ebay seller Jan 10 for less than 80 bucks shipped (Ground UPS). Got it 6 days later. I hooked it up myself and bing bang boom it WORKED!:eek::eek::eek: Seems like LG makes these boards. The TV looks amazing as ever! It's been a week today and man am I happy.:D:D:D
Congrats, glad it worked out. Knowing a bit about electronics and having done board etching and tracing shorts etc I say you beat the odds. In a lot of cases, when a PCB goes out, it is due to being fried by a short by another component on another board.

Had that been the case here, it would have most likely fried the new board in short order. If it is working now still after a week, that TV will likely be good for years.

Good Show

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis