Vizio TV Not Turning On...Blinks At Me. :(

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hope your holidays were great! I have a question about the main board of my Vizio TV. It was working great until recently. It won't turn on and only blinks the Vizio logo in orange. I opened it up to look around and I found no blown fuses or anything. I'm thinking it must be the main board. I'm posting a couple of pics to see if you guys see anything that I don't. The model no. is Vizio SV37OXVT. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Whoops that is not the Mainboard. Here It Is. These attached pics are from a website. I want to know if you see a fuse on the upper right(by the yellow sticker)? It looks like there is one. I closed the TV back up, so I will check later.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
With all due respect, if you don't know which bopard you're looking at, don't you think any further kerfitzing might be left to a pro?

After all, technonogy has advanced to such a state where the days you could pull the tubes from the TV and use the tube tester at your local Radio Shack to potentially identify a problem are long gone.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yes I understand Mark, but If I can do it myself I'll be saving alot. I won't mess with anything unless it's easy to do. The layout looks simple, but with help even better.:D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yes reset 30 second. Unplugged everything from the TV too. No go.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Since your visual inspection yielded nothing, get a tech to identity the issue.That symptom sounds like a classic case of capacitor failure on the power board (first pic). Look closely at the caps for bulging or leaking one.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Nothing leaking or bulging on the power board.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
From what ive read on Vizio, they are kind of a disposable tv. You get them at a low cost, get decent performance out of them but when they go their gone. Thats not a slam on Vizio i actually like their newer models. But i think thats how they are designed to be. I listen to podcasts such as HTGuys & AVRant. This topic has been discussed before. Its worth taking in to see if it can be fixed at price thats worth it. But i wouldnt be suprised if its nothing more than a wall ornament unfortunately.

But keep us informed if you find out whats wrong. Hole you get her up & runnin soon. Or use this as an excuse for a new 65" Panny!! :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
But keep us informed if you find out whats wrong. Hole you get her up & runnin soon. Or use this as an excuse for a new 65" Panny!! :)
timoteo It's a shame if I can't fix it myself. I'm sure to fix it will be at least $200 or more, which I rather invest on another TV and this time with an extended warranty.:) The Vizio has a beautiful picture too. I really wanted a Viera TV. When I was on the road most technicians highly recommended the Panasonic TV's. They were a little out of my budget last year, but I did a search and the Viera 40 inch 60hz(My Vizio has 120Hz) has come down in price: Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA TC-L37U3 37-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV: Electronics
I live in a studio so the 65inch won't fit.:D

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
I love blinking lights. I got a free 42in Sharp LCD TV from my office because it had a blinking light. Took it home, researched on line, unplugged it held a couple of buttons in, plugged it back in and it worked. Replaced a 29 inch Vizio I had in my home office. Looks real good :D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
From what ive read on Vizio, they are kind of a disposable tv. You get them at a low cost, get decent performance out of them but when they go their gone.
It does seem like electrons these days are being programmed to fail just outside the manufacturer warranty period.

I'm sure to fix it will be at least $200 or more,
It'll probably cost $100 just to troubleshoot and get an estimate. The final tally depends on the additional repair cost, which could be an additional $25–250. Walmart has a 42" 1080p Vizio for $300. Might just be the best route to take.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just did a quick search for "vizio blinking logo" and found some stuff - maybe useful, maybe not.

From a review on Amazon.com, try doing a memory clear to reset to the factory defaults. Can you get into the System Menu to do that?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
indulger that was funny I'm glad you got it to work and free is always nice too.:D

agarwalro I think If I don't get my Vizio to work I'm looking at Panasonic Viera which is what I really wanted. LASTLY TLC TV from amazon:Amazon.com: TCL L40FHDF12TA 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV with 2-Year Warranty: Electronics ) I do have a 22 inch Vizio which is going strong, so far...

Adam it won't turn on at all. Just blinks the Vizio Logo. There is a soldered fuse that is on the power board, so I may buy that and see if that is the issue. Will cost me $8.00, so not a big deal.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That TCL is actually a pretty good TV. Not as good as a Panny Plasma, but better than a Visio by far.
I have the 32 inch in my bedroom.
Nomo If it goes back down to $260 I might jump on it. How long have you had the TCL for? Your Pros and Cons?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
While not the cheapest, we've had good luck with Toshiba LCDs. Several local retailers and Best Buy/Walmart have them for good prices quite often.

Good luck with the fuse, though.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Nomo If it goes back down to $260 I might jump on it. How long have you had the TCL for? Your Pros and Cons?
I bought it on Black Friday got a few days later ($188), so I've only had it a month.
I had low expectations for it. I was simply looking to replace a 24" CRT.
Given that it's only getting a SD Dishnet signal, I was extremely impressed by it after plugging it in.
The black levels and sharpness are very good. The picture adjustment options are more than adequate. The remote sucks, and I'm having trouble getting the TV2 Dish remote to operate it.

All in all it's a fantastic bedroom TV for the money. Currently, last I checked, Amazon had it for $250. I'd still pay that.

I'm not saying I'd completely trust it, or the larger versions, as a long term primary TV. But it does what I've asked it to do far beyond expectations.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
agarwalro I think If I don't get my Vizio to work I'm looking at Panasonic Viera which is what I really wanted.
I presented the Vizio to keep the budget in the ballpark of repair costs. IMO, spring for the Panny.

The only TV I purchased for myself was a 720p Panasonic pro plasma (in 2008), and I like its PQ more than the 1080p Samsung LED TV (in 2010) that I bought for my mother-in-law. (Comparing PQ calibrated by me using DVE, they are both exemplary, but the Panny rules without contest.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis