Vinyl/Turntable section?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Hello. Can the moderators consider a forum section dedicated to Vinyl and turntables?
Thanks, Todd

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I can always use more knowledge. I vote yay! But only if it can be the same AH rigour aplied, otherwise it's an echo chamber.

Meaning 50k carts can never be justified in this Universe and all the other standards, like there's a duty that a stylus needs to be doing and beyond sound signature preferences by some vinylheads, we can still talk about how much a stylus "pulls" out of the groove and is it better or worse than others and what is a best buy. And we should all still feel compeled to explain how we measured that a decoupling plinth under the TT really helped more than some other plinth...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I can always use more knowledge. I vote yay! But only if it can be the same AH rigour aplied, otherwise it's an echo chamber.

Meaning 50k carts can never be justified in this Universe and all the other standards, like there's a duty that a stylus needs to be doing and beyond sound signature preferences by some vinylheads, we can still talk about how much a stylus "pulls" out of the groove and is it better or worse than others and what is a best buy. And we should all still feel compeled to explain how we measured that a decoupling plinth under the TT really helped more than some other plinth...
The stylus shouldn't pull out of the groove- if it does, that's a sign of a mismatch between the tonearm's mass and the stylus compliance. Think of a car that has shock absorbers which are too stiff- the ride is rough and on the bumpiest roads, it may leave the surface. The principles are the same- mass, spring rate/stiffness all work together for good or bad results.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
The stylus shouldn't pull out of the groove- if it does, that's a sign of a mismatch between the tonearm's mass and the stylus compliance. Think of a car that has shock absorbers which are too stiff- the ride is rough and on the bumpiest roads, it may leave the surface. The principles are the same- mass, spring rate/stiffness all work together for good or bad results.
Must've wrote that badly. I meant retrieving or reading out or reproducing, how much of the written information can it reproduce.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Must've wrote that badly. I meant retrieving or reading out or reproducing, how much of the written information can it reproduce.
I don't think it was written badly- a stylus with extremely stiff compliance on a light tonearm can definitely leave the surface and make all kinds of bad sounds as the tip bounces in the groove. The Telarc version of the 1812 Overture gives cartridges/turntables fits when the cannon go off.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
As long as the subject gets the proper AH treatment, I'm in.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
No pics but a REGA Planar 3 with a REGA Carbon cart. Conical cart that plays my used LPs with little noise. Lets get this done!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't seem enough of you, tho with a whole 15 posts in almost 2 months between all five of you (six if highfigh is in which wasn't clear). At least not these days....30 years ago would be a different story :) Good luck in any case.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I heard LP's outsell CD's these days. So there ya go. (if that is true :) )

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I heard LP's outsell CD's these days. So there ya go. (if that is true :) )
They outsold them recently in dollars, but LPs cost more :) Neither did well compared to streaming/downloading.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Doesn't seem enough of you, tho with a whole 15 posts in almost 2 months between all five of you (six if highfigh is in which wasn't clear). At least not these days....30 years ago would be a different story :) Good luck in any case.
Well, no one really knew it's a referendum. This was posed as a question can we have it, not cast a vote if you want it. I bet 20 of TT owners are just waiting to see the outcome.

Anyway, overtime we got one more reason not to throw away our records since they're also plastic. You wouldn't want to polute this great tenor's backyard:
1604484503525.png

Keeping your library functional is a better option, but if you really want it functional, you need a lot of info.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, no one really knew it's a referendum. This was posed as a question can we have it, not cast a vote if you want it. I bet 20 of TT owners are just waiting to see the outcome.

Anyway, overtime we got one more reason not to throw away our records since they're also plastic. You wouldn't want to polute this great tenor's backyard:
View attachment 41286

Keeping your library functional is a better option, but if you really want it functional, you need a lot of info.
Been keeping a "functional" library of vinyl for 50 years plus! Its not that much info....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis