Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I just ordered Paul Simon's Seven Psalms on Amazon for $7.20 and got free shipping for an order made earlier in the day. I checked it out on YT and it was great...he integrates his songwriting with some really interesting instruments.
I am a huge fan of his 1973 LP "There Goes Rhymin' Simon". I have loved that LP since it came out over 50 years ago. But I haven't really heard another album by him that measures up to it. I have not heard of Seven Psalms.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
These two arrived in the mail today. Nothing new about them; The Florence +the Machine "Ceremonials" is a 2011 release original pressing, and Godsmack (eponymous) is a 2023 re-issue of their 2007 debut album.
1000006714.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Picked up these two this morning on my way to the "Celebration of Life" for the brother of one of my best motorcycling buddies. (He passed from glioblastoma, a.k.a. brain cancer, and I knew him too.)

Anyhow, along the way west to Chesterfield MA I stopped at Joe's Albums in Northampton MA and grabbed these. At least the Pearl Jam one is new music despite being a Record Store Day release. :D The Collective Soul one is follow-up to the RSD release of their Dosage album a couple weeks ago.

1000006863.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
So you think my comment is funny, eh?

Have you considered that those two albums of hers that I own are the two "least pop-ish" that she's put out?

She does write much of her own music and lyrics, some is with the help of a co-writer. I'm 64 and cut my teeth on the rock of the 70's to 90's, but I'm open minded about listening to and liking something different now & then.

That there are literally tens of millions of younger people, children to retirees, who like and buy her music doesn't mean it's going to please everyone (you), but if I never listened to her I now feel that I would've missed out on hearing a sincerely good artist.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
On a lighter note...or should I term it "a lighting note", here's my current favorite cartridge as lit from the front by the stylus light on my Luxman PD-171 turntable. It's the Audio Technica ART9XA.
ART9XA_litup.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
So you think my comment is funny, eh?

Have you considered that those two albums of hers that I own are the two "least pop-ish" that she's put out?

She does write much of her own music and lyrics, some is with the help of a co-writer. I'm 64 and cut my teeth on the rock of the 70's to 90's, but I'm open minded about listening to and liking something different now & then.

That there are literally tens of millions of younger people, children to retirees, who like and buy her music doesn't mean it's going to please everyone (you), but if I never listened to her I now feel that I would've missed out on hearing a sincerely good artist.
I'm not a fan especially when I heard a playback of her horrible singing on a country award show about more than 8 years ago. I do know she is a talented writer, but her voice is horrible. Probably still uses autotune to sound decent. Only reason she sells is because she is good looking girl and a good songwriter.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not a fan especially when I heard a playback of her horrible singing on a country award show about more than 8 years ago. I do know she is a talented writer, but her voice is horrible. Probably still uses autotune to sound decent. Only reason she sells is because she is good looking girl and a good songwriter.
Ok, I get it. You don't like her voice. I'm sure there's others too that don't like her voice. I don't think it's terrible, many millions don't think so, and many music critics and journalists don't think it's terrible. There are a number of artists whose singing voices I don't like but I'm not going to condemn them for being horrible singers when I know that many others, more than don't, think they're great.

To each their own, it's your right to like what you do and dislike her stuff. Eight years ago is a while, maybe she got better before I heard the two albums I own, I just don't know.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Ordered a few from Blue Note Records on Monday evening, they arrived this afternoon. Two from their Tone Poet series, and the newest release from Norah Jones.
1000007038.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Three more came in today, ordered from Plaid Records of Loveland Ohio. The way these were packaged is an abject lesson in how to do it right. (I can post photos of that later if anyone is interested.)

The Andrew Bird Trio "Sunday Morning Put-On" is in indie record store exclusive Ruby Red vinyl. The Twenty One Pilots "Clancy" is clear w/red splatter vinyl ACS came in a heavy clear printed polyethylene outer sleeve. The David Bowie "Diamond Dogs" is black vinyl though is a half-speed cut master.

1000007061.jpg

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Do you guys clean new records? I have a Vinyl Vac system and was in the habit of cleaning all records, new or used that come into my collection. But lately I have not with new ones. I rely on my Dust Bug, which is such a terrific tool. I think what happened is I had a new one arrive and another one was on the way and I didn't want to break out the system twice, so I was going to wait. I played it with the dust bug and didn't hear any pops of any kind. So I thought maybe it was a waste of time with new, unless one arrived that looked dusty. Oh yeah, I have cleaned a couple that arrived very staticky and the Vinyl Vac does fix that.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Do you guys clean new records? I have a Vinyl Vac system and was in the habit of cleaning all records, new or used that come into my collection. But lately I have not with new ones. I rely on my Dust Bug, which is such a terrific tool. I think what happened is I had a new one arrive and another one was on the way and I didn't want to break out the system twice, so I was going to wait. I played it with the dust bug and didn't hear any pops of any kind. So I thought maybe it was a waste of time with new, unless one arrived that looked dusty. Oh yeah, I have cleaned a couple that arrived very staticky and the Vinyl Vac does fix that.
Not usually, though there's been a couple. Most new records are remarkably clean.

You didn't ask, but I'll add this for the benefit of those who may need to clean records and have nothing good.

IMO, nothing beats an ultrasonic cleaner for getting both the deepest-seated grime and static from records. No vacuum type device nor a Dust Bug can approach the way the ultrasonic cavitation action can clean a record. And it's relatively CHEAP to get into it when you can buy the Vevor setup and have everything (including a 3-D printed drying rack) for about USD $200. Another $10 or so gets you the one thing it really needs, which is a lower voltage (3vdc) power supply for the rotation motor, so the speed is down to 1rpm or so.

There's much discussion about what fluid works best, plus temperature and time. I can say that I use a formula I found on the "Tanked Out" FB group that does get the fingerprints and most everything gone in one run. I use about 85% distilled water that I can buy at my local supermarket for USD $3.50 for 3 gallons. Then I add almost 15% of a concentrated isopropyl alcohol (91% dilution from CVS) and 10 drops of Tergikleen that acts as a detergent and wetting agent for fast & clean drying on the rack. I run an 18 minute cycle at 36°C and that all seems to work quite well.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Not usually, though there's been a couple. Most new records are remarkably clean.

You didn't ask, but I'll add this for the benefit of those who may need to clean records and have nothing good.

IMO, nothing beats an ultrasonic cleaner for getting both the deepest-seated grime and static from records. No vacuum type device nor a Dust Bug can approach the way the ultrasonic cavitation action can clean a record. And it's relatively CHEAP to get into it when you can buy the Vevor setup and have everything (including a 3-D printed drying rack) for about USD $200. Another $10 or so gets you the one thing it really needs, which is a lower voltage (3vdc) power supply for the rotation motor, so the speed is down to 1rpm or so.

There's much discussion about what fluid works best, plus temperature and time. I can say that I use a formula I found on the "Tanked Out" FB group that does get the fingerprints and most everything gone in one run. I use about 85% distilled water that I can buy at my local supermarket for USD $3.50 for 3 gallons. Then I add almost 15% of a concentrated isopropyl alcohol (91% dilution from CVS) and 10 drops of Tergikleen that acts as a detergent and wetting agent for fast & clean drying on the rack. I run an 18 minute cycle at 36°C and that all seems to work quite well.
Nice. But I have had very good results with the Vinyl Vac. I am pretty sure that there are several systems that work better though.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Speaking of new records, this just arrived 10 minutes ago from paulmccartney dot com. Beatle Paul live in Abbey Road studio in 1974. Double LP plus a 7" bonus 45 rpm EP. Not very exiting packaging however. Non gatefold and boring graphics. ha. This is on youtube as a video. If you are a Beatle fan, you should probably listen. "1985" is very incredible compared to the one on BOTR. Be sure to listen to the end as he gets completely nuts with the vocals. It reminds me of Wings Wild Life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_LiEjIMhoc

Some info about the release: https://webgrafikk.com/.../mccar.../1974-wings-album-coming/

Attachments

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I picked these up today at a record store. All three VG+ or better with original inner sleeves. I used to have the Grand Funk one also in gold vinyl when I was a kid. I paid about 1/4 what It goes for on Discogs in this condition. The others, I paid $1 and $3 for!

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis