3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Nothing, actually. I'm betting the tonearm can be swung past center to trail with the rotation of the platter and that's just an unusual rest position.

Of did I miss something less obvious?
Tone arm's on the wrong side. It should be located where the gauge is. :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
There really is no wrong side. As long as it's tracking it works. You can buy a number of high end turntables that have 2 or 3 tonearms.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
How easy is it to get a consistent RPM from steam power?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
There really is no wrong side. As long as it's tracking it works. You can buy a number of high end turntables that have 2 or 3 tonearms.
Agreed but they are being dragged through the groove, not pushed through the groove. Now I'm assuming this based on the bend of the tonearm thinking teh turntable spins clockwise. The direction of spin could be a wrong assumption on my part. :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
LOL...if it spun counterclockwise you'd have to start playing on the inside and it would play the record sdrawkcab.

At least you'd get your dog back, your truck back and your girl back when playing a country music record.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just a heads up.. Stay away from this vinyl set. Its very noisey.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Highly recommend this classic album!
Amazon.com
has John Coltrane: A Love Supreme (Vinyl Album) on sale for $11.99. Shipping is free with Prime or if you spend $49 or more. Thanks shayex
With purchase of this item will also include an AutoRip MP3 version of this album.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
How easy is it to get a consistent RPM from steam power?
You won't. It is an old Mamod oscillating cylinder steam engine modified by turning the engine through 90 degrees. It is very similar to this 1949 model I had as a kid. It is still back in England I think.

I had a couple of steam powered toy locomotives and I built a crane powered by one of those Mamod engines as part of the lay out. There is no steam valve and speed is determined by load and steam pressure. Heat source is a methylated spirit burner. I can tell you that engine would also spit hot oil, water and steam over the record.

This is one of my steam trains, a working Bassett Lowke steam model of a Southern region Mogul steam engine. I last fired it up in 2004 for my grandson Ethan on a visit to the UK. It is still in my mother's house.

The other one was a Bassett Lowke Enterprise which my father had had as a child. It was like this one.

It was handed down to my nephew John, who I trust still has it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It looks nice from the pictures. However the reviewer is obviously a complete fool and I would not trust a word he has to say. You can tell that as he has spent more in his turntable leads than the cartridge. It is just this sort of chap the does a huge disservice to the hobby and the quest for better sound.

It is a pity they chose a moving coil cartridge to partner it with. I think they are problematic devices.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It looks nice from the pictures. However the reviewer is obviously a complete fool and I would not trust a word he has to say. You can tell that as he has spent more in his turntable leads than the cartridge. It is just this sort of chap the does a huge disservice to the hobby and the quest for better sound.

It is a pity they chose a moving coil cartridge to partner it with. I think they are problematic devices.
In one word.... A WINDBAG!! I didn't think it was ever possible to pack so much BS into a few paragraphs. You are absolutely right saying that this is the kind of person that does the audio industry a disservice. I didn't learn as much as I hoped I would. It's too bad as it does look meticulously crafted and built.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In one word.... A WINDBAG!! I didn't think it was ever possible to pack so much BS into a few paragraphs. You are absolutely right saying that this is the kind of person that does the audio industry a disservice. I didn't learn as much as I hoped I would. It's too bad as it does look meticulously crafted and built.
Well said. Very reason I don't read audio reviews is the verbose nonsense like this (let alone his collection of Nordost cables sealing the deal on what a buffoon he is).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis