Very basic Home Theater

D

desertdragon

Audioholic Intern
I would like to show you my very first Home Theater, as the title indicates it is not fancy at all, some of my gears are probably outdated to your standards, but it is a huge upgrade to me. Please let me know what you think.

The equipment:
TV- Mitsubishi WS55815 (CRT projection, 1080I). I got it 1 and 1/2 year ago in a golf tournament.
A/V receiver- Onkyo TX-NR801. I got it from a friend as a gift when he upgraded his receiver.
DVD player- LG (forgot the model number). I got it 2 years ago in another golf tournament.
Speakers- Infinity TSS1200. Bought it on internet for $723 delivered.
Direct TV receiver- Basic HD receiver.
Game console- PS2

On my wish list:
HD DVR
HD DVD player (maybe Toshiba)
PS3
2 exterior speakers
Bigger TV (TBD)

Here are the pics:

Before

After

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Nice entertainment center.

But you gotta get the sub out of that cabinet!!!!

D

desertdragon

Audioholic Intern
Nice entertainment center.

But you gotta get the sub out of that cabinet!!!!
Thank you Darien87 for the compliment!
Do you care to elaborate why the sub needs to be out of the cabinet?:confused:

I am a newbie in HT.

Thank you in advance.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
That sub will vibrate your entertainment center and grossly color the sound (spurious vibrations are bad). Not to mention a great reduction in perceived sound level.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Nice simple setup, I want to do a sub/system myself.:)

D

desertdragon

Audioholic Intern
That sub will vibrate your entertainment center and grossly color the sound (spurious vibrations are bad). Not to mention a great reduction in perceived sound level.
Thank you. Since the sub is sitting on the floor directly, the vibration is really not that bad; I think the sound level is OK. Besides, my wife (karate black belt) does not want the sub to be visible.:)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Besides, my wife (karate black belt) does not want the sub to be visible.:)
i take it you're not gonna be upgrading the subwoofer anytime soon :D

maybe after a few decades of shaolin training you can get a new subwoofer :cool:

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Besides, my wife (karate black belt) does not want the sub to be visible.:)
Is that her in the wedding photo? You could take her!:D

I agree with everyone that says its a nice clean setup. I also agree the sub should be taken out of the cabinet. Arm wrestle her for it. If she wins that too, just say "one, two, three, four, I declare a thumb war."

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
Arm wrestle her for it. If she wins that too, just say "one, two, three, four, I declare a thumb war."
hilarious!

i really like the entertainment center as well. nice water cooler! i have one for the first time and don't know how i ever lived without it (instant oatmeal really is instant :) )

D

desertdragon

Audioholic Intern
i take it you're not gonna be upgrading the subwoofer anytime soon :D

maybe after a few decades of shaolin training you can get a new subwoofer :cool:

LOL:D
I can upgrade all I want but it will have to be hidden.

D

desertdragon

Audioholic Intern
Thank you all for your compliments and suggestions.

OK. Just in case I convince my wife to relocate the sub (with my tiger claw and other shaolin techniques).

Where would you suggest to put the sub? Basically you have seen my entire house.:)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you all for your compliments and suggestions.

OK. Just in case I convince my wife to relocate the sub (with my tiger claw and other shaolin techniques).

Where would you suggest to put the sub? Basically you have seen my entire house.:)
Bummer that you're bitten by the WAF bug. Luckily my wife doesn't care and actually likes the sound of our system.

It looks like you're kinda limited on where you can put the sub, but I'd say try putting it just to the right of the couch, (between the couch and the window). Looks like you've got a little room there. But the best place for it, sonically, is going to be dictated by your room. You need to try that "crawling for bass" thing. There's an article about it here on the forum somewhere. I think it might even be a sticky in the sub forum. Unfortunately that sonic sweet spot will probably be right in the middle of the living room or the least convenient spot it could possibly be. You'll have to make a compromise.

D

desertdragon

Audioholic Intern
It looks like you're kinda limited on where you can put the sub, but I'd say try putting it just to the right of the couch, (between the couch and the window). Looks like you've got a little room there...
Thank you darien87. Are you suggesting here? (right of this couch?)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Thank you Darien87 for the compliment!
Do you care to elaborate why the sub needs to be out of the cabinet?:confused:

I am a newbie in HT.

Thank you in advance.
The problem with placing subwoofers and speakers in a closed space is the effects the enclosure have on the sound. The best analogy I can give is singing in the shower or a car stereo. It sound completely different than singing in the middle of an open space or room. Low frequencies become muddy, unclear, and frequencies lose their individual clarity. Much like the sound of bass in a car. A confined space is not optimal.

It does look good but it gives away the lack of consideration for optimal audio quality. The best speakers in the world will not sound as good as lesser speakers given proper placement consideration.

Don't feel bad. It is a VERY common mistake and one that too many people make because the other half wants it to look good!!!! Maybe if you explain to her the reason why they need to be moved, she may relent to reason.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
It does look good but it gives away the lack of consideration for optimal audio quality. The best speakers in the world will not sound as good as lesser speakers given proper placement consideration.
What good is having a pretty room if it doesn't function well? Seriously, you wouldn't marry a pretty girl if she wouldn't perform the functions you want. Why is a room or an audio system any different?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis