Velodyne DPS-12 Review

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Cygnus said:
I waited with great paitence for this review, and quite frankly, it sucked! You hardly listened to any music or movies and dint say anything about the subwoofers specs or features...You didnt even do a frequency test! Jerk!
I thought you were hungry for some sheep slap :D

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Haha, mabye...what is that anyways? Do I want to know?

:D

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Good review Sheep!

Couple of questions ... first does the DPS-12 have any shielding?
My current sub (a shielded 10") is only a foot away from my AV rack and 2.5 feet from my CRT so I'm concerned about seeing the bass, not just feeling it! :)
Also, given a $100 CDN difference and value for the money in mind, would you go for the DPS-10 or the DPS-12?

Thanks,
Steve

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
avnetguy said:
Good review Sheep!

Couple of questions ... first does the DPS-12 have any shielding?
My current sub (a shielded 10") is only a foot away from my AV rack and 2.5 feet from my CRT so I'm concerned about seeing the bass, not just feeling it! :)
Also, given a $100 CDN difference and value for the money in mind, would you go for the DPS-10 or the DPS-12?

Thanks,
Steve
I can't say, I havent had alot of time with the DPS-10. If you need more output, the DPS-12 would be the better choice. It would all depend on your room.

As far as Mag. sheilding, I think they are not. The manual says to keep it a minimum 1 to 2 feet away from the TV.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Bluesmoke,

I finally got around to hearing that scene. Your friend is very wise, it is a great sub testing scene. The light sabers are not very "low" but they definitely create large amounts of bass.

From what I heard, the DPS-12 could keep the notes separated and articulate. There was a good amount of tactile energy too in this scene. For the first time, the Velodyne actually shook me. And I found out something,

The tactile response changed when I sat in a different chair. The one I used for my review was a one piece, floating design, while this one was my computer chair that is on casters.

Also, the Dsp's changed the tactile response of the subwoofer. I tried out the Rock one, and it gave me the most tactile response. If you really want to shake, this might be the setting for you.

Crap, now I have to edit my review.

SheepStar

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
Sheep,

If you're going to edit your review i think you should add a couple of cuts off the jack johnson disc "in between dreams". Great bass tracks!!

just kidding

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
rollinrocker said:
Sheep,

If you're going to edit your review i think you should add a couple of cuts off the jack johnson disc "in between dreams". Great bass tracks!!

just kidding
I have that CD on my computer. If I was going to use any mellow, bassy music, it would be Death Cab For Cutie. :)

SheepStar

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Sheep said:
Bluesmoke,

I finally got around to hearing that scene. Your friend is very wise, it is a great sub testing scene. The light sabers are not very "low" but they definitely create large amounts of bass.

From what I heard, the DPS-12 could keep the notes separated and articulate. There was a good amount of tactile energy too in this scene. For the first time, the Velodyne actually shook me. And I found out something,

The tactile response changed when I sat in a different chair. The one I used for my review was a one piece, floating design, while this one was my computer chair that is on casters.

Also, the Dsp's changed the tactile response of the subwoofer. I tried out the Rock one, and it gave me the most tactile response. If you really want to shake, this might be the setting for you.

Crap, now I have to edit my review.

SheepStar

Yea, he knows a fair bit about subs. He's got a SVS cylinder sub along with full 7.1 Kef setup and Pioneer Elite 72TX. He was telling me to listen to separation and how clean the bass sounds. Thanks for taking the time to fill my curiosity. I appreciate it. :cool:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Bluesmoke said:
Yea, he knows a fair bit about subs. He's got a SVS cylinder sub along with full 7.1 Kef setup and Pioneer Elite 72TX. He was telling me to listen to separation and how clean the bass sounds. Thanks for taking the time to fill my curiosity. I appreciate it. :cool:
Your most welcome. Thanks for reading my review!

SheepStar

J

John D

Enthusiast
That was an excellent review

It was the best review I've seen for this sub in the past week that I've been looking!

I've been lurking on this forum for a little while, but didn't want to join because I was already signed up to another Home Theatre forum and didn't want to get into too many! However, I had to join this one just to thank you for taking the time to do this review and posting the findings for all of us to see.

I upgraded to the DPS-12 earlier this week after Future Shop allowed me to bring back my Boxing Day Sale Polk RM6005 set (with PSW10) that I wasn't happy with. I paid the difference and noticed the difference right away. I am much more pleased with the Velodyne. Especially since it was $170 off the regular price ($429 +tax).

To those who aren't sure about getting the DPS-10 or the 12, I would suggest getting the 12, if you have the space. It is much easier to turn it down if it is too loud, but you can only turn it up so far if it is not loud enough!

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
John D said:
To those who aren't sure about getting the DPS-10 or the 12, I would suggest getting the 12, if you have the space. It is much easier to turn it down if it is too loud, but you can only turn it up so far if it is not loud enough!
I don't think volume is to big of an issue with either sub. I think that was one of the selling points behind these - loud!! I turned a HK 7300 to near reference levels at FutureShop and there was plenty of headroom left on the DPS-10.

But I'm no expert so take that with a grain of salt. My living room is 16feet by 12, with an open kitchen in the back - that's another 8 feet to the back wall. Which would you guys recommend.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Bluesmoke said:
I don't think volume is to big of an issue with either sub. I think that was one of the selling points behind these - loud!! I turned a HK 7300 to near reference levels at FutureShop and there was plenty of headroom left on the DPS-10.

But I'm no expert so take that with a grain of salt. My living room is 16feet by 12, with an open kitchen in the back - that's another 8 feet to the back wall. Which would you guys recommend.

Definitely the 12. My room is 16x12, and adding another 8 feet is hard on a 10inch cone.

John D,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. Now, stick around, and get to know the gang :)

SheepStar

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Sheep said:
Definitely the 12. My room is 16x12, and adding another 8 feet is hard on a 10inch cone.
I picked up the DPS-12, partialy due to Sheep's review here :), and would recommend it over the 10 for home theater use. Sure it'll be louder but I personally find the lower freq reach just as appealing. It also seems to blend in well with my Athena setup.

Steve

V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
LFE connection?

Your review is ok.

I was disappointed you did not use 5.1/ 7.1 dolby D. & DTS for music it is big different from sterio.! and you did not write about the LFE, connection ??!!! did you test the LFE connection? or did you used a spliter?? and if yes what is the different in suond ??

I agree with you 100% about the volume "knob" this is definitely the weak point of this Subs.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Vigor said:
Your review is ok.

I was disappointed you did not use 5.1/ 7.1 dolby D. & DTS for music it is big different from sterio.! and you did not write about the LFE, connection ??!!! did you test the LFE connection? or did you used a spliter?? and if yes what is the different in suond ??

I agree with you 100% about the volume "knob" this is definitely the weak point of this Subs.
If you read carfully I don't have any true 5.1 music disks, and My setup is not capable of 7.1.

Also, my room acoustics are so crappy, having the extra speakers playing would just make it sound worse.

The connection was the sub in. I have tried them both and there was no difference.

SheepStar

Last edited:
V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
Sheep said:
If you read carfully I don't have any true 5.1 music disks, and My setup is not capable of 7.1.

Also, my room acoustics are so crappy, having the extra speakers playing would just make it sound worse.

The connection was the sub in. I have tryed them both and there was no difference.

SheepStar
So if you use only one connection to the sub, use the LFE input instead of the "sub in" it will sound better, but I will recommend you to use a spliter and to use the two input at the same time and it will be the best that what I'm using and I'm very happy. And by the way that what Velodyne customer support recommend to me on the phone.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Vigor said:
So if you use only one connection to the sub, use the LFE input instead of the "sub in" it will sound better, but I will recommend you to use a spliter and to use the two input at the same time and it will be the best that what I'm using and I'm very happy. And by the way that what Velodyne customer support recommend to me on the phone.
All that does it up the input voltage. Basically helps with the auto on feature. It doesn't make the sub play lower or louder. But, if it works for you, why not right? :)

SheepStar

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
Wow. Props on the great taste in music. I love Thrice :D
I use Stare at the Sun from The Artist in the Ambulance on my test CD.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
SilverMK3 said:
Wow. Props on the great taste in music. I love Thrice :D
I use Stare at the Sun from The Artist in the Ambulance on my test CD.
Hells Yes! Awesome CD. I love the guitar intro for that song. Vheissu is a whole different animal compared to Artist.

Illusion is just a harder version of Artist, which is awesome too!

Hey! Your local! Good tastes in music AND locations! :rolleyes: :D

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis