Velodyne DPS-12 Review

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer Review

**UPDATED** Added Ratings as well as a Heading before movies explaining further the setup I used and its performance.

Reviewer: Sheep
Manufacturer: Velodyne
Model: DPS-12B
MSRP: $599 CAD (Paid $399)

Pros:
- Nice finish on top
- Overall good build quality for price
- Front controls
- High SPL playback
- Good FR for price
- Low THD down to 30 - 40Hz.
- Phase switch
- No port noise until sub 30Hz
Cons:
- THD rise in low end (35Hz or so) = Boomy
- Volume setting = “DOT DOT DOT”
- On the large side (18”D x 14”W x 16”H approx.)
- No continuous phase adjustment knob
- Feet will not sufficiently decouple the subwoofer from carpet
- Not very tactile
- Port noise in low registers
- FR might not be true (varies according to room)

Introduction:

Velodyne is quite possibly the largest subwoofer company in the world. With 8 (DLSR and CHTR are the same thing) different lines of subwoofers and an independent EQ system it’s easy to understand why. They've dominated the high-end market for quite some time now, but how will they manage with a budget subwoofer? No servo; no auto EQ system, just a box, driver, amp and a little thing called DSP.

The “DPS” of DPS-12 stands for Digital Power Slot. The Digital part refers to the DSP chip inside the subwoofer with set EQ curves (Movies, R&B - Rock, Jazz - Classical, and Games). Each setting uses a different curve and subsonic filter setting (refer below). The Power Slot portion of DPS refers to the slot ported design of the subwoofer enclosure. During normal listening, I didn't hear ANY port noise. I would however recommend the the port area be kept clean, as it may suck up dirt, or even worse, babies!

The specifications for each DSP preset are shown below.

Movies:
Subsonic filter freq.: 24Hz
EQ Freq.: 37Hz
EQ level: +4dB
Volume differential: +8dB

R&B – Rock:
Subsonic filter freq.: 27Hz
EQ Freq.: 52Hz
EQ level: +3dB
Volume differential: +5dB

Jazz – Classical:
Subsonic filter freq.: 24Hz
EQ Freq.: N/A
EQ level: N/A
Volume differential: N/A

Games:
Subsonic filter freq.: 34Hz
EQ Freq.: 62Hz
EQ level: +4dB
Volume differential: +4dB

As you can see each preset serves a different purpose. Whether or not you like them, well, that’s a different story. My personal favorite is Jazz, with Movies in a distant second.

Driver:
- 2inch 4 layer-copper voice coil
- 40oz. (3.5lbs) magnet
- 12inch forward firing (9.9inch piston diameter)
The driver was nothing special to look at (except for when it’s moving:)), but looks aren’t everything. The cone is not the “shoot it with a gun” kind that the more expensive Velodyne subwoofers carry.

Amp:
- 200WRMS (400 Dynamic)
- Line level ins
- Speaker level ins and outs
- Phase switch
- Crossover knob
The amplifier on this unit is sufficient to drive the driver, so no 1 kilowatt ones are needed. During testing, the heat sink stayed cool and heat never became an issue. However, if you're considering placing this subwoofer in a cabinet, I'd recommend allowing ample breathing room for the heat sink.

Build Quality:

For $399 ($599 retail) this subwoofer has a very inert enclosure. It passed the Knock Test without any major sign of hollowness. The front controls are clean and function perfectly, as do the controls at the rear. The black lacquer finish is very nice (15 coats) and is covered in finger prints. May I suggest gloves when handling the unit? :)

The shipping box is sufficiently robust and able to keep the subwoofer safe from most obstacles. I would however like to see double-boxing for this price point. The subwoofer comes wrapped in a "sock-thing" to keep the lacquer finish safe from debris and has foam cut-outs that go on each side.

The user manual that comes with the subwoofer is well written and easy to read for the technically declined.

The subwoofer comes with rubber stick-on feet that raise it from the floor, but wouldn't be sufficient for a carpeted floor. Hockey pucks underneath these should help decouple it from the floor. To test these feet, I dragged the subwoofer around on my concrete floor and the feet didn’t budge. I do however have long rubber marks to explain. The reason (I think) this subwoofer doesn’t have screw-in feet is because of the slot port; the feet would block airflow if they were screwed into the bottom.

Setup:

Setting up the subwoofer was fairly easy. Plug it into the wall, plug in the RCA mono subwoofer cord, and crank it up. The crossover knob is defeatable (turn it all the way up) so you can use your receiver/pre-pro’s bass management. If you don’t have this luxury, you can adjust the crossver on the subwoofer as it has markings for 40Hz (lowest) and 80Hz (midway) as a guide.

Setting up the DSPs is more of a personal taste rather then a matter of right or wrong. I preferred the Jazz – Classical setting, as they gave the flattest FR as well as the lowest subsonic filter setting.

The volume on the other hand is the most difficult parameter to get right. By this I mean that it’s very hard to see where it's set at. It blinks at a certain rate for a certain volume, but there is no way to tell what’s what. I suggest playing around with the volume and getting a feel for which setting sounds the closest for music and movie watching, then fine tune it on your receiver. This way you'll be able to remember the setting and still have the correct volume level.

Listening Evaluation - Music:

For my music evaluation I'll be using regular CDs. I know; CDs suck; SACD and DVD-A all the way. BUT, none of the bands I like are available on SACD or DVD-A disks, and in any event, I don't own a SACD/DVD-A player

The bands I'll be using are as follows.

Thrice – Vheissu
The Mars Volta – Frances the Mute
Blue Man Group – The Complex

Each of these albums has a purpose in testing this subwoofer. Vheissu has very clean, lean bass, and a subwoofer that booms will stick out like a sore thumb. The Mars Volta has a very quick, loud beat to their music, and will reveal a subwoofers ability to keep up with the mains regiment, as well as deliver high SPLs with low THD. Blue Man Group uses lower bass than Thrice or The Mars Volta. They also have a couple great tracks that test the punch of a subwoofer. This album will be the most stressful for the DPS-12. It contains the lowest and largest amounts of bass. Could the Velodyne handle it? Read on…

SheepStar (continue to part 2)

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Part 2

Thrice: Once I popped in Vheissu, I skipped to track 2 “Between the end and where we lie”. This songs starts off softly with a kick drum beat and synthesizer. This isn’t a normal kick drum though. It's very lean and lacks any real “bass” which is why I used it; if the subwoofer adds to it, you’ll know.

I can safety say the Velodyne didn’t add to it. It was clean and lean. After a minute or so a bass line kicks in, and again, it has a very lean sound. There’s very little heavy bass in this CD and it doesn’t go below 40Hz. The bass line was also handled with the utmost care, and the Velodyne therefore passed this test with flying colors.

I skipped ahead again to track 5 “For Miles”. This is my favorite song on the whole album. It starts out with gentle piano, which is soon accompanied by Dustin’s lyrics. 40 seconds in, and the bass line comes in. Again, in the same Vheissu fashion, it’s lean. So lean in fact, you'd think the subwoofer wasn't even playing unless your subwoofer is boomy. No boom from the Velodyne, just tight, clean bass. I could get used to this.

The last song I'm going to use from Vheissu is track 6 “Hold fast hope”. Right at the end, there's a sweep, starting around 100 Hz or so. It then sweeps down to 30Hz. This'll show me if and when the bass will begin to fade, and/or THD begins to increase.

The DPS-12 didn’t fade at all. It went all the way down and with authority. It did however lose some tightness. It seemed to happen right near the end. Thus, I think the subwoofer’s tightness only goes so “low”.

The Mars Volta: I love this band. They have a sound I've never heard before and I can’t get enough of it. If I had to describe their sound, it would be trance/rock/Latin with a little brass thrown in for fun.

The only song I’m going to use is track 5 “Cassandra geminni”. I don’t even know how to pronounce it, so don’t feel bad if you can’t. As I stated earlier, this album has harder hitting and lower bass then Vheissu. This is my favorite song on the album, and contains some great riffs and lyrics. The reason I’m only using this song is 1.) It’s the only one that's a decent length and sounds like a song, and 2.) Not a lot of people listen to this band.

It starts off hard with fast guitar riffs, bass and drum beats, kind of like the bass player is slapping. The vocals come in a second later which have guitar mini solos during, that continue after the lyrics. If you don't understand this, it’s ok; you have to hear it to understand. On to the bass whose quick little hits are quite dynamic and are lower in frequency then any of the kick drum beats in Thrice. The Velodyne handled them well, but when turned up, they began to become loose. The bass line comes in after this little intro and is also far heavier than anything on the Thrice CD. Same story with the DPS-12. It handled them, but once the dB rose, so did the THD, and whilst bearable, it's something to note.

Blue Man Group: This CD is going to be the hardest test the DPS-12 will face, musically. There are many tracks with sub 40, even 30Hz bass.

Track 3 “Sing Along” ft. Dave Mathews will be the first at bat. There is a continuing kick drum beat which is in the 40-50Hz range, but has sound down in the 30’s. It’s very hard to describe but is great for testing “punch” or “tightness” which you should feel hit you in the chest.

The DPS-12 could easily hit the notes required by this song, but they just didn’t have the tactile feel that I've felt before from other subwoofers. It also seemed a smidge loose. A little THD “eee” if you will. For $399 it certainly did a great job, but it could have perhaps been a little better in the tactile department.

The second song I'll be using is track 6 “Persona”. This song contains very low bass, sub 35Hz which is a critical area for subwoofers. This is important for 2 reasons. 1.) A true subwoofer can play these notes, and 2.) A good subwoofer will not “boom” these notes. The DPS-12 did boom, enough to draw unwanted attention to it. It hit the notes well and showed no signs of fade, but it was't particularly clean. I didn’t mind this because I rarely listen to this CD, but it might be something to consider if you're a BMG fan.

The last song I'll use from The Complex is track 7 “Piano Smasher”. This song has strong 30Hz bass that continues throughout the verse. What I'm looking for is the subwoofer to maintain the energy and not fade out. Again, I received the same results as for the previous song. The bass was there in ample amounts, but it wasn’t particularly clean. It was a far cry from the Thrice performance. This again supports my theory that this subwoofer’s THD rises greatly around 35Hz. I don’t find this to be that bad, however if it occured around the 60Hz region, it'd be awful.

NOTE: ALL Movie and Music listening was done with the Jazz - Classical DSP engadged. Using a different DSP will change the performance of the subwoofer. Though some areas may benifit with changes, others will suffer. I used the Classical setting because it showed the performance of the suwboofer with out any assistance, good or bad. Do not expect the same results I did with the same preset. Also, don't take my word as the be-all/end-all of this subwoofers performance. Let your ears decide.

Listening Evaluation - Movies:

What subwoofers were made for? Maybe, but its all relative; we each have our own opinion. I'll be testing this subwoofer against 9 different movies. Some would say I’m crazy, others would say I've no life, but those are not the reasons why I am going to do this. If reviewers use more test material, you've a better chance that you can connect with the reader. Not everyone has U571 or WOTW. By adopting a greater variety of source material, people know exactly what you’re talking about and have first hand experience with it.

Listed below in no particular order is the list of movies. I'll not go into too much detail, but will test each movie against the DPS-12

-Star Wars Ep.1
-Batman Begins
-Team America
-Matrix Revolutions
-LOTR: FOTR
-WOTW
-Star Wars Ep.3
-The Incredibles
-Doom

Matrix Revolutions: The bass begins when the movie does. The title goes flying by with fairly deep, but articulate bass. Its not just one note. That’s why I used it.

The DPS-12 did a good job of keeping the notes apart, but they weren't particularly clean. This seems to be the story for this subwoofer. After the beginning of the film I skipped ahead to the APU stomp scene. The note is centered around 25Hz; the limit for this subwoofer, and it did a great job reproducing these affects. Again, not particularly clean or tactile, but for $399, getting 25Hz at all is good enough.

Team America: This is a great movie. Funny, entertaining, what more could you ask for? How about bass? DONE! This movie’s intro is like that of the Matrix Revolutions but this bass is far deeper. This comes from the title flying across the screen before blowing up. The fly-by part is very deep (~30Hz) and is good for testing the subwoofers ability to maintain the energy as well as play the note loud. The Velodyne DPS-12 hit the note, but didn't want to go very loud. This note is not very loud to begin with, but it could use some more sauce.

Next, I went into the special features and used the theatrical trailers. These are very entertaining and contain good amounts of bass in a small time span. The DPS-12 did a good job of outputting high SPLs while still hitting the lower notes, all while continuing to play a tad boomy.

Batman Begins: Again, another movie with bass in the intro. I really enjoyed this movie, and hope they redo the whole set with Christian Bale. It held true to the comic with the storyline and darkness. It also has great bass! :)

The intro’s drums have bass into the 40’s, with other, smaller portions lower. The DPS-12 handled this well whithout drawing attention to itself even though it wasn't the cleanest performance.

A great scene which contains deep bass is the sword fight scene on the frozen lake. The cracking ice will show off a boomy sub, and in a non-good way. The DPS-12 didn’t have any tactile response on this scene and just boomed out notes. Actually, the DPS-12 had very little tactile affect on me throughout this review. Only during higher SPLs did I feel anything, and even then is wasn't much to speak of.

The Tumbler chase scene was one such scene. There was a little shaking going on, but only when he was crashing into concrete posts or flying by the camera. I wish I felt it when he revved the engine.

Lord of the Rings – The Fellowship of the Ring: This is a great, long, movie. It has one of the best subwoofer tests I have put a subwoofer through. U-571 is great and WOTW is all good, but nothing will make a subwoofer go nuts like this movie. To date, every ported subwoofer I have played this scene on belted out wind like it just ate an extra spicy bean burrito.

What scene might I be talking about? It’s the plain-old well scene. The stupid hobbit fiddles with the dead body and down the well he goes, taking a long chain and heavy bucket with him. The entire ruckus this corpse bucket chain combination makes alerts the creatures in the area. They begin pounding drums that radiate from said well, and the camera goes in for a look. At this moment, your subwoofer driver exerts to its limits and usually belts out large, unhealthy amounts of air.

The DPS-12, having a slot port, didn’t belch out anything. All I heard was loud bass and a tick, which could've been the driver or the wall, but definitely wasn't air. I checked to make sure the driver wasn’t damaged and it was fine. It just goes to show how hard this scene is on subwoofers.

SheepStar (continue to part 3)

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Part 3

A little later on (next scene) the giant…. thing….. is beating on a rock-wall. The rocks begin to fall, causing great, deep bass. You should be able to feel this scene in your chair. It should vibrate when the rocks crash into the walkway. For me, it kind of did. It was the most tactile energy I had felt from any other scene on this subwoofer, but was less then intented. I think THD and tactile response are directly related, at least for this subwoofer. I have felt much more from lesser subwoofers, which puzzles me even today.

Doom: This movie was great. Whilst it wasn't a great movie, nevertheless it was entertaining. The audio mix was good and contained great panning effects. Right at the beginning, when the camera is looking at Mars there is a great amount of bass. It’s hard to tell where this bass is centered, but it is definitely within the range of the DPS-12. The whole room was filled with deep LFE, yet nothing shook. This was really starting to bug me. I don’t know why, but I wanted things to shake. I wanted this sub to rip up my insides.

The Incredibles: Another Pixar movie, another great test DVD. I've watched this movie many times and still find it entertaining. Great amounts of LFE as well. There are a couple scenes in this movie that really stood out. First was when the secret message blows up. The bass is very loud and punchy. On the Velodyne, it came through with good SPLs but there wasn’t much kick to it. Again, this seems to be the story with this subwoofer.

Another scene that contained great amounts of LFE was when Mr. Incredible was fighting the machine (first and second time). The rolling around of the latter had real low bass and though the Velodyne tried its best to hit those notes, it just couldn’t reproduce the scene with much authority.

War Of The Worlds: Crappy movie, great bass. Trade off. This is the only movie I watch PURELY for bass. This and U571, but U571 still has some interesting parts. Now, I know what you’re going to say, “How can you expect a 12inch $399 subwoofer to hit 10Hz?” And the answer is that I don’t. I may not be able to get 10Hz out of this subwoofer (ok, I can’t) but I can see how well it behaves when a 10Hz peak is playing through it. This subwoofer uses a subsonic filter at 24Hz and it really helps to tame it. Even when I cranked up the subwoofer it would not fart or distort on the 10Hz stomp. It would fart a little on some of the ~30Hz content, but that’s because it was moving so much air.

Star Wars Ep. 1: THX certified movies always rock (Pixar for example)and this one is no exception. Although the acting stank and I really wanted to punch that little kid, I totally forgot about it when the pod racers started up. I saw this movie the day it came out in a THX theater and it was then that I knew I wanted a HT system.

The pod race contains enough LFE to choke a horse. Whether it’s the engines starting up or the canyon exit, you're in for a treat. I sure was. The DPS-12 did a great job on this movie. No farting, no rattling, just tons of bass. The canyon exit scene was particularly loud, clearly showing that the DPS-12 was both present and being heard. I never found a volume that the Velodyne couldn’t handle. It kept up with as loud as I could stand. It handled this.

Star Wars Ep. 3: Yes, it's odd that I would list 2 Star Wars films in a row, but that’s just how it boiled down.

In this movie, the THX intro is my favorite. It’s the new “Deep Note”. I love cranking this up to ear bleeding levels when my friends come over. Yes I need more hobbies, but that’s not the point. The point is that it contains very deep LFE. When I play it loud I expect the subwoofer to keep up. After all, without the bass line, there is no Deep Note. No disappointments from the Velodyne here. The subwoofer kept up no matter how loud I went. Next, I used scene 1. This scene has very loud, low bass which came out as farting on my Athena AS-P400. The Velodyne however did not fart; It just pounded out solid, low bass. All of which was never felt at any point. I think this subwoofer needs some Butt Kickers so you can actually rumble a bit.

Ok, the movie section of this review is over, FINALLY! To sum up my experience with this subwoofer, I'd say it was a good one. High SPL output with decent extension will make it perfect for most folks. If however you want to vibrate, I would suggest some Butt kickers, or a different subwoofer altogether.

Test Tones:

This is the part of the review where I get down and dirty (I had to slide around my floor to hook up the wires from my computer to receiver). I want to find out whether or not this subwoofer will actually hit its low end extension. I will start at 40Hz and work my way down in 5Hz increments until I hit 30Hz, then I'll go down in 2Hz increments until I cannot hear any more bass.

Well, the connections were made, WinISD was open and I was ready to ride some waves. This is not the be-all/end-all of this subwoofers FR. As a matter of fact, it’s a very poorly conducted test. The subwoofer has to overcome the noise of my computer (7 fans) and my listening environment has many objects that vibrate. That said, it’s still better then someone being slipped money under the table saying “This subwoofer has great extension all the way down”.

My findings: It handled 40Hz well, even 30Hz (although things were getting quiet), but barely made noise at 25Hz, and when I turned up the volume, it turned into port noise. 30Hz had some farting too, but more bass then air. I would still consider 25hz a “hit” but 28hz would've been a better, safer -3dB point.

Overall, this subwoofer did well. It hit the low notes (some made no noise), and it played cleanly fairly low.

Conclusion:

After many weeks with this subwoofer (and many more to come) I am very pleased with its performance. It can fill my room with bass effortlessly and reach down deep enough to satisfy the child in me. With a beautiful finish, easy to use (though sometimes frustrating) front controls and low port noise with high SPL playback, its hard not to recommend this subwoofer.

There are products out there that represent a better value, but this subwoofer should not be overlooked. Let your ears decide.

NOTE: Music listening was done in stereo. Movie listening was done is native Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, or DTS:ES.

Ratings: (* = 1 star)

These ratings pertain to the performance of the unit relative to its cost. A 4 star rating on a 300 dollar unit will not be the same as a 4 star rating on a 1000 dollar unit.

***** = Outstanding
**** = Above average
*** = Average
** = Below Average
* = Very Poor

Build Quality: ****
Appearance: ****
Controls: **
Connections: ***
SPL: ****
Bass Extention (Music): ****
Bass Extention (Movies): ***1/2
Bass Qualtiy (Music): ***1/2
Bass Qualtiy (Movies): ****
Features: ****
Overall: ****
Value (At MSRP):***1/2

SheepStar

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
so your rating would be how many stars?

great review, thanks for putting so much effort in it.
no go get another subwoofer to review for us. :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
mike c said:
so your rating would be how many stars?

great review, thanks for putting so much effort in it.
no go get another subwoofer to review for us. :)
For $399 4/5

For $599 3.5/5
Hows about a chicklet? :)

SheepStar

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Excellent Review. I'm thinking of picking up the DPS 10 from Future Shop. I have a friend who works there and can get it to me for $300 + tax. It probably isn't quite as good as the 12 but my room isn't huge.

I'd like your opinion on another test. Can you describe how the lightsaber hum from EP1 final battle sounds with the 12? A friend was telling me how the entire saber hum is handled by the subwoofer and is a good indicator of a nice sub.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
:rolleyes: ur sub smells like $H!T HAHAHA, all that farting.

Great job Sheep, a nice little breather from typical my stuff is uber roxors go buy it now. I love the material that you chose for movies, not sure about music I will check out those artis when possible.

I think that Velodynes make great subs for the money. I wonder if the 15in (is there one) would handle the sub 25Hz range better or somewhat. Overall cool review, like to see something when you get the rest of those Energy speakers in place.

~Bob

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'd like your opinion on another test. Can you describe how the lightsaber hum from EP1 final battle sounds with the 12? A friend was telling me how the entire saber hum is handled by the subwoofer and is a good indicator of a nice sub.
I will get on that when I have some time, posibly tomorrow, or the day after.

I wonder if the 15in (is there one)
Nope, only the DPS-10 and 12. The DLSR and CHT-R have 15's.

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Sheep said:
Nope, only the DPS-10 and 12. The DLSR and CHT-R have 15's.

SheepStar
avtalk tests suggest that the 15 model doesnt have that much better extension. they're only louder. i guess if the DLS/CHT series were any better, it would take away sales from their high end models.

chicklet = You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sheep again.

i will get back to you on that one.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Very nice review Sheep. I like the fact you used alot of different source material. Not alot of peaople do this and it sucks. Because like you said. With more source material. You get a better idea of the subs performance.

I have a couple of questions though. If you where to factor in a parametric eq. How much better do you think this sub would be. Do you think some of your issues might have been caused by placement or acoustics. Most if not all rooms have acoustical issues to deal with.

Thanks again though. Very nice review. I love the detail and many different sources you used. Keep up the great job. I will look forward to your reviews in the future.

How about a review of the C1's. Granted I could try one myself but im to damn lazy. :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
anamorphic96 said:
Very nice review Sheep. I like the fact you used alot of different source material. Not alot of peaople do this and it sucks. Because like you said. With more source material. You get a better idea of the subs performance.

I have a couple of questions though. If you where to factor in a parametric eq. How much better do you think this sub would be. Do you think some of your issues might have been caused by placement or acoustics. Most if not all rooms have acoustical issues to deal with.

Thanks again though. Very nice review. I love the detail and many different sources you used. Keep up the great job. I will look forward to your reviews in the future.

How about a review of the C1's. Granted I could try one myself but im to damn lazy. :D
With an EQ and room treatments, I'm sure alot of things would have changed. I never found the subwoofer to be all that bad as far as dips go. There was just a lack of tactile response and the THD rose greatly in the low end. Room treatments and EQing can't help there.

My horrid room is the only reason why I don't do speaker reviews. It affects the sound so much, that I would not be able to give a valid opinion.

SheepStar

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Great review Sheep. I played with the DPS10 for about a month with similar results. My thinking is that it might be the more articulate sub and it did provide tactile response. All the DPS and DLS sub boxes are tuned to either 32 or 34hz and are designed to shine from about 35hz up per a conversation I had with some Velo folks. With the features provided, I think it's a great HT product.

I see a future for you doing this stuff for a living :D You get a chicklet...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ron Temple said:
Great review Sheep. I played with the DPS10 for about a month with similar results. My thinking is that it might be the more articulate sub and it did provide tactile response. All the DPS and DLS sub boxes are tuned to either 32 or 34hz and are designed to shine from about 35hz up per a conversation I had with some Velo folks. With the features provided, I think it's a great HT product.

I see a future for you doing this stuff for a living :D You get a chicklet...
I guess its my room. I have alot of items and objects that resonate, which could be soaking up the shaking....

Future eh? Hows about a foot in the door? :D

Thanks buddy

SheepStar

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Slightly off topic, but as a Canadian, Sheep, you know fully well how difficult it is to find a entry sub that sounds good for the money. As I previously mentioned, I can get the DPS 10 for $300can + tax. Would you be able to recommend any other subs available in Canada that's a better deal? My budget is $350can.

Thanks bro, and again, a very through review that reads more like a feature article in a mag.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Bluesmoke said:
Slightly off topic, but as a Canadian, Sheep, you know fully well how difficult it is to find a entry sub that sounds good for the money. As I previously mentioned, I can get the DPS 10 for $300can + tax. Would you be able to recommend any other subs available in Canada that's a better deal? My budget is $350can.

Thanks bro, and again, a very through review that reads more like a feature article in a mag.
$350? Hm, the Athena AS-P4000 is a good alternative. The DPS-10 and that would be my top 2. If you can get your discount on Athena subwoofers, you might be able to get the AS-P6000. BTW, the cost(cost) of the DPS-12 is $350. Add 10% and thats what you'd pay before tax.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you guys are pleased with the review.

SheepStar

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Sheep said:
$350? Hm, the Athena AS-P4000 is a good alternative. The DPS-10 and that would be my top 2. If you can get your discount on Athena subwoofers, you might be able to get the AS-P6000. BTW, the cost(cost) of the DPS-12 is $350. Add 10% and thats what you'd pay before tax.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you guys are pleased with the review.

SheepStar
Hmm... Maybe I should have gotten the 12, but I wanted everything to match! :rolleyes:

I get the DPS-12 for $212 US :eek:

Actually, my sub rattles things off of shelves and gives me chest pain if I let it, and that is what I like, so I guess I got the right one for me! :D

~Chuck

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
CaliHwyPatrol said:
Hmm... Maybe I should have gotten the 12, but I wanted everything to match! :rolleyes:

I get the DPS-12 for $212 US :eek:

Actually, my sub rattles things off of shelves and gives me chest pain if I let it, and that is what I like, so I guess I got the right one for me! :D

~Chuck
Ya ya we get Jipped. :rolleyes:

SheepStar

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
Sheep,

I am very impressed. Your review was well done, very thorough and articulate. I'm proud to say i knew you when you were just a lamb.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I waited with great paitence for this review, and quite frankly, it sucked! You hardly listened to any music or movies and dint say anything about the subwoofers specs or features...You didnt even do a frequency test! Jerk!

Juuuuuuuuuuusssssttt kidding

No, seriously, awesome review man! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis