Vann's filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Except in NY where the incompetence of the state government means that they have to go money grabbing at every turn to try and balance out their sheer greed and stupidity :D
Well, all governments get their money somewhere, right? :D Sales tax might be lower, but property taxes are higher...or vice versa.

Luckily Arizona government is streamlined and highly efficient. Oh, wait... :rolleyes:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well, all governments get their money somewhere, right? :D Sales tax might be lower, but property taxes are higher...or vice versa.

Luckily Arizona government is streamlined and highly efficient. Oh, wait... :rolleyes:
That's one thing about NY, aside from CA, I've never heard anyone from any other state name a tax that NY doesn't have or name a tax that both have where NY isn't nearly equal to or greater than. :(

Just my luck, one of the best places for my profession is also one of the most heavily taxed, that's what I get for working a sudo-government job.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That's one thing about NY, aside from CA, I've never heard anyone from any other state name a tax that NY doesn't have or name a tax that both have where NY isn't nearly equal to or greater than. :(
Let me try. :)

We have an annual "vehicle license tax" (charged at the time of our annual registration) that is based on the appraised value of our vehicles. It drops every year as the value of the vehicle depreciates, but the tax on my Fusion was about $600 when I bought it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I actually am not sure. I'll have to check on that, I think we may have found a winner :p :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I actually am not sure. I'll have to check on that, I think we may have found a winner :p :D
not that bad, but we do have in NY bi-annual vehicle registration tax - $120-160 and annual inspection - $37 pass or fail. (fail ->repair and pay for another inspection)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Let me try. :)

We have an annual "vehicle license tax" (charged at the time of our annual registration) that is based on the appraised value of our vehicles. It drops every year as the value of the vehicle depreciates, but the tax on my Fusion was about $600 when I bought it.
California does that. When I moved there with three cars some years back I owed the CA DMV grave robbers $1800. I was so happy...

For car ownership, at least, the best combination of no sales tax, low registration taxes, and cheap insurance is probably Oregon. If you gotta have expensive cars, that's apparently the place to do it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
not that bad, but we do have in NY bi-annual vehicle registration tax - $120-160 and annual inspection - $37 pass or fail. (fail ->repair and pay for another inspection)
Gotta love Texas and no state income tax :D

T

Time_Stand_Stil

Junior Audioholic
Brick & mortar stores need to support a business model that is designed around enticing a shopper to actually come to a location and shop. Thus the first piece of advice, DO NOT COMPETE TO THE SAME MODEL THAT ONLINE SHOPS USE!

These stores need to create a shopping experience. Of course price has to be conducive to the type of consumers you are trying to attract. Apple sells on line, probably a lot of its retail business is on line, but it also sells products through 3rd party vendors, vendors to which Apple controls much of the process but mostly its Apple stores which often are never short of foot traffic customers, why? The shopping experience that's why. Businesses that are brick & mortar which do fine or better have created an atmosphere that attracts foot traffic. They build a better experience. They hire and train better employees, they have more attentive managers, better product sku's and make the shopper feel better about the time they spend at the shop.

Brick & mortar stores which fail at doing this WILL SUFFER AND DIE! Big discounters will find their piece of the pie get smaller and thus only few will survive. But in A/V the brick & mortar shop which specializes, creates a better atmosphere, hire and train quality professionals, offer great value ( not price per se) and make the whole shopping experience better will do fine.

See what do the online shops do? Then go the other way. Obviously price is a factor but you build in value that is the secret. Too many retailers have hired on the cheap, use the floor staff as glorified shelf stockers and store security while failing at giving them the tools and training to sell not just proper products and services but better the total experience.

1: Get rid of check out clerks. All sale staff need to be proficient to write and complete the sale. No more min wagers, but commissioned sales staff who can carry the experience with the shopper from the initial greeting through the demo to the sale and the check out.

2: Warehouse staff must be charged with maintaining the flow of sku's carried, if products are large enough that the sales person cannot carry out to the car with the client the warehouse staff must be made available to help out.

3: Dump all low buck sku's. Bring products that support the value orientation of your shop.

4: Shop decor must be taken away from a sterile warehouse look to a more intimate look. Smaller spaces may be better in this regard.

5: Show only what YOU WANT TO SELL! Do not confuse customers, do not sell products you do not actively carry in stock.

6: Sales staff need to be sent to professional sales training courses. They need to be made to know on how and what to sell as well.

7: Only carry accessories that offer good value and fair mark up. No $3.00 cables if you are to be a more upscale shop. No one needs not only sell $1000+ speaker cable etc. either but the accessories need to match the main types of gear you carry.

8: Shop order and cleanliness. IT MUST BE SPOTLESS DAILY! Gear on display must be connected and able to be demonstrated properly if you want the shopper to feel the experience. If it's not hooked up and useable IT SHOULD NOT BE OPEN ON THE FLOOR!

9: Reprimands including possible dismissal should be given to staff who disrupt the connections and ultimately demonstrations of gear on the floor. In other words if a sales person must dismantle to sell a floor model product THEY MUST REPLACE TO WITHIN REASONABLE TIME FRAME THE MISSING SKU WITH ANOTHER HOOKED UP PROPERLY! If they are failing this too often it should be made clear that it is a dismissible result.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I somewhat agree, but I don't think major changes like this will necessarily change anything in the market we're talking about. Consumers are more savvy these days and just creating "the experience" won't guarantee sales, especially with so many good and reputable vendors out there. Also it still doesn't address the added costs associated with maintaining a physical store. Online vendors, at this stage in the game anyways, will always be able to provide consistently lower prices due to their lower operating costs.

The apple store only works because apple closely monitors the prices that authorized dealers sell their equipment at. They ensure that, if you buy from an authorized dealer, you are paying the same price that you would pay at the apple store or from the apple website. Every once in a while you may be able to get a small discount, but the distance between the best price you're likely to find online and just going to the apple store usually isn't worth it. Especially since apple does such a good job of providing personal support.

Now if stores were to adopt more of an apple store model, they still wouldn't be able to lower prices low enough for me to buy from them. Especially with better compensated employees and fewer products. They'd have to move a ton of product to ensure they stay in the black even with a smaller store. Now a better customer experience would motivate me to go to the store and talk and ask questions and this and that, but then I'd just go home and buy from an online vendor with a good reputation for a heavily discounted price and that's assuming I ever wanted to go back to commercial speakers.

I still contend that ID brands offer tremendous value for dollar and given how much more I get for how much less I spend, I see no reason why I should go back to paying 30-50% for the product and 50-70% for all the other overhead and profits that are associated with buying from a B&M store. Whereas, when you buy from an ID brand the liklihood is much greater that more of the money you're spending is actually going towards the product and less is going towards overhead and profits.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Too many retailers have hired on the cheap, use the floor staff as glorified shelf stockers and store security while failing at giving them the tools and training to sell not just proper products and services but better the total experience.
You nailed it with this observation right here.

I actually listened to some NPR not long ago that was talking about similar situations and how B&M is hurting. Some company (can't remember which one now) big-wig was on there and his argument was that their stores actually saw bigger profits when the sales-people were paid more and company invested in their knowledge base. Very counter-intuitive, but the numbers didn't lie.

Last edited:
T

Time_Stand_Stil

Junior Audioholic
Sorry, but consumers ARE NOT more savvy today. They have the best ability though to be better informed and thus more savvy. But they fail at taking this ability to help in general. The quality of shopper in general today pales in significance to generations ago. Why? Because in general the previous generations especially those of a few generations ago are people who knew better about hardship, delayed gratification and what the value of a $1.00 was so to speak. It was also much harder to get credit and credit given often had stricter terms and even higher interest applied at times. The consumer of past generations easily saw value much better than the more current generations of today do.

Today's shopper is much more about being heavily manipulated, are or have been ill-equipped to greater reasoning of value for money including having lost much of all concept of the value of a $1.00. It's a time of instant gratification, lack of seeing consequences and if heavy amounts of credit gets me all that I believe I deserve then SO BE IT!

The balance for brick and mortar stores is having products and services that best describe your model of business and incorporating the shopping experience that is felt and seen as a good thing.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry, but consumers ARE NOT more savvy today. They have the best ability though to be better informed and thus more savvy. But they fail at taking this ability to help in general. The quality of shopper in general today pales in significance to generations ago. Why? Because in general the previous generations especially those of a few generations ago are people who knew better about hardship, delayed gratification and what the value of a $1.00 was so to speak. It was also much harder to get credit and credit given often had stricter terms and even higher interest applied at times. The consumer of past generations easily saw value much better than the more current generations of today do.

Today's shopper is much more about being heavily manipulated, are or have been ill-equipped to greater reasoning of value for money including having lost much of all concept of the value of a $1.00. It's a time of instant gratification, lack of seeing consequences and if heavy amounts of credit gets me all that I believe I deserve then SO BE IT!

The balance for brick and mortar stores is having products and services that best describe your model of business and incorporating the shopping experience that is felt and seen as a good thing.
All your points have to do with over spending money and nothing to do with what the customer is doing before they make those purchases. The fact that people spend more money than they should doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the research and time they put in before making that purchase.

Yes I agree with those points, but fail to see what they have to do with with consumers being well informed and more savvy in the sense that they are less likely to pay more for something at a B&M store than online.

So to recap, yes people are often spending more money than they should, but no I don't believe that they aren't researching and price matching and deciding that online offers much better prices for what they want to buy. The great decline in B&M stores, malls, and physical retail market places is evidence that people full well know that 80% of the time they can get a better price online for whatever it is that they're buying (even if they don't need it and probably shouldn't be buying it).

A savvy shopper finds the best price for the product while not losing anything or losing very little by buying it at the lower price. A wise shopper does everything a savvy shopper does, but knows what they can afford and what they can't. Then has the self control to save up for what they want.

T

Time_Stand_Stil

Junior Audioholic
Most people today DO NOT do more research before buying hence why the world is full of cheap crap being sold. This crap can often be seen dumped at thrift shops often mere months or maybe a year or so after the purchase.

The shopping brainwashing is and has been on OVERDRIVE over the last decade or so and the most current generations (to which my vintage is still a small part of it) haven't the skills developed and education given to see through it all. It's all just buy and dump, buy and and dump some more crap. Buy stuff that is built on the cheap and sold on price only and BTW not to bother if you can afford it or if you are just putting it all on plastic.

The research many do while shopping is weak at best and is from ill-informed sources. For instance in hi-fi or A/V, tech mags for one and lamo writers review hi-fi/ A/V gear. In photography tech mags and lamo writers review photo gear. THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE SAYING! but the masses and the more current you are the more likely you are to read and accept this often tripe online, well fuels my point that buyers are less informed today than in the past.

Too many so called or worse self-descried experts put all sort of shite online about products or services and it's all failing the shopper of today.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Agree to disagree. No sense trying to talk to a preacher :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis