P

palmoyas

Audiophyte
I'm throwing out the main unit of this same system but would like to salvage the speakers for garage use (plus, I'd enjoy the tinkering experience, perhaps on the path to building better DIY speakers).

What modifications would these speakers need to be used with a traditional AVR? Just a two way crossover? What are the cheapest avenues to accomplish this? Thanks for the help!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm throwing out the main unit of this same system but would like to salvage the speakers for garage use (plus, I'd enjoy the tinkering experience, perhaps on the path to building better DIY speakers).

What modifications would these speakers need to be used with a traditional AVR? Just a two way crossover? What are the cheapest avenues to accomplish this? Thanks for the help!
I highly doubt it is possible. You would need to get a woofer tester and measure the impedance of all the drivers. Usually those systems used low impedance drivers, and that would make it impossible to drive from a receiver. You would also need to measure the acoustic response of the drivers to know at what frequency to put the crossover, so as not to blow the drivers. You would also need that to know what order of crossover was required.

This is all far more trouble than it is worth for those speakers.

P

palmoyas

Audiophyte
I highly doubt it is possible. You would need to get a woofer tester and measure the impedance of all the drivers. Usually those systems used low impedance drivers, and that would make it impossible to drive from a receiver. You would also need to measure the acoustic response of the drivers to know at what frequency to put the crossover, so as not to blow the drivers. You would also need that to know what order of crossover was required.

This is all far more trouble than it is worth for those speakers.
The value isn't necessarily the speakers or the result, but the experience itself. What would happen if I just hook them up positives to positive, negatives to negative and see how it sounds? AVR is a circa 2000 $10 Goodwill JVC receiver.

Or maybe I can sell them to Kingnoob...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The value isn't necessarily the speakers or the result, but the experience itself. What would happen if I just hook them up positives to positive, negatives to negative and see how it sounds? AVR is a circa 2000 $10 Goodwill JVC receiver.

Or maybe I can sell them to Kingnoob...
You would blow the tweeters immediately and probably the receiver soon after.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Speakers in systems like that are typically 3ohms. They suck and are out of the range most amps operate at. Can you use them? Sure, but should you?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis