Using centers as overhead speakers for Dolby Atmos?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
6 Passive Wedge 30 coaxials seem great, too, although they are virtually unobtainable in the States. Rather spendy, too (US$1200-1300/ea)

Those would definitely work. Coaxial designs are great for Atmos. But for the cost? A little high for me. If you can diy, you could build those using the drivers TLS guy posted.
Svs prime sats are popular for ON ceiling as well, and are much cheaper than the ones you just shared. I used RSL c34e’s in my ceiling and they’ve been great. The soft tweeter is a tad laid back for the rest of my speakers but they image like crazy, and we’re only 125ea.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
6 Passive Wedge 30 coaxials seem great, too, although they are virtually unobtainable in the States. Rather spendy, too (US$1200-1300/ea)

If you want wedge speakers, SVS have the Prime Elevation ($500) and Arendal have the 1961 Height and 1723 Height S. The 1961 is $800 US per pair and I believe they still have free returns. Not coaxial but generally decent speakers.

A good coaxial speaker is the Hsu CCB-8 at $768/pair but the issue would be finding mounting hardware and it's size at 15x10.5x12.5".

William mentioned DIY with the MarkAudio drivers. Those drivers are so inexpensive compared to the others that you could probably get a local cabinet maker to make the boxes and still come out ahead.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I use Prime Elevations and I'm pretty happy with them. Emotiva also has the A1.

Woopher

Woopher

Enthusiast
If you want wedge speakers, SVS have the Prime Elevation ($500) and Arendal have the 1961 Height and 1723 Height S. The 1961 is $800 US per pair and I believe they still have free returns. Not coaxial but generally decent speakers.

A good coaxial speaker is the Hsu CCB-8 at $768/pair but the issue would be finding mounting hardware and it's size at 15x10.5x12.5".

William mentioned DIY with the MarkAudio drivers. Those drivers are so inexpensive compared to the others that you could probably get a local cabinet maker to make the boxes and still come out ahead.
@Eppie Thank you for the encouragement. Building cabinets and mounting hardware would be of no issue to me. Dealing with T/S parameters, etc. in order to create something beyond amateurish - for that I lack the skills and the measuring equipment.

Hsu CCB-8s seem decent, although they are too big as on-ceilings in my situation. They could be a nice side pair, but I'm already getting SVS Ultras for that.

Will look into those wedges, though, thanks!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@Eppie Thank you for the encouragement. Building cabinets and mounting hardware would be of no issue to me. Dealing with T/S parameters, etc. in order to create something beyond amateurish - for that I lack the skills and the measuring equipment.

Hsu CCB-8s seem decent, although they are too big as on-ceilings in my situation. They could be a nice side pair, but I'm already getting SVS Ultras for that.

Will look into those wedges, though, thanks!
FWIW, both the Elevation and 1961 should be available in white but I think SVS charges a premium for gloss white. TLS Guy could provide the cabinet size for the MarkAudio speakers. You just need the correct volume and stuffing material.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
That's because their diagrams are too generalized: they assume high ceiling and a large seating area. My space is tight, though. If I mount those speakers as they show, my MLP will be at the border of their dispersion cones.

List of angled in-ceiling speakers (and why you need them) for Immersive Sound formats (Atmos, Auro, DTS:X)
I wouldn’t use center channel for this purpose unless it’s 3 way . And even then it might not be worth it , only you can tell I can’t even run Atmos .

Woopher

Woopher

Enthusiast
I had to abandon the idea of using in-ceiling speakers, as their angle is just too small. Went ahead with SVS Prime Elevation instead. Haven't received them yet, so I am using 4 old surround Technics cubes as substitutes for now.

Full 7.1.4 Atmos rocks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis