Using big amp in small room ? Onkyo 818 help

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Can you place amp on top of a large subwoofer or will it be damaged by the rattling ? Could you put a metal or wooden board in between them ??

I need to move the amp from its current spot to somewhere else .
I
Wanted to place it were this floorstander speaker is at .
sub shakes the whole room regardless.

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Can you place amp on top of a large subwoofer or will it be damaged by the rattling ? Could you put a metal or wooden board in between them ??
.jpg[/IMG]
I

Free the reptile aliens

Free the reptile aliens

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would not put any electronics on top of the subwoofer. Same way I wouldn't want a amp inside any subwoofer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
agreed

Martin Logan along with many others have been doing it for years with superb sonic success !
I just did a quick Google search on "MartinLogan Subwoofer Amp failure" and found:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/martin-logan-subwoofer-failure-mild-rant.660181/

So I guess it's "successful" until your MartinLogan subwoofer's (or any brand) amp fails after the warranty is over. Then it becomes "unsuccessful". :D

Do a Google search and I bet you will find many examples of Subwoofer amp failure. A friend of mine has already replaced TWO amps for his big SVS subwoofer.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

I

Free the reptile aliens
My theater setup has amps on top of the subwoofers. Unless it's a light amp and the sub crawls insanely, should be good, just have to try it.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I just did a quick Google search on "MartinLogan Subwoofer Amp failure" and found:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/martin-logan-subwoofer-failure-mild-rant.660181/

So I guess it's "successful" until your MartinLogan subwoofer's (or any brand) amp fails after the warranty is over. Then it becomes "unsuccessful". :D

Do a Google search and I bet you will find many examples of Subwoofer amp failure. A friend of mine has already replaced TWO amps for his big SVS subwoofer.
poop happens, I've owned several Logan 'hybrids' (built in amps to drive the bass speakers) and have never had an issue. My Velodyne sub (DD-15) has been flawless for over 10 years

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My theater setup has amps on top of the subwoofers. Unless it's a light amp and the sub crawls insanely, should be good, just have to try it.
I do think that amp ON TOP of the subwoofer is better than amp inside the subwoofer. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends how inert the sub cabinet is to an extent. I've used a dual opposed sub for a tv stand for years without issue.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It’s 40 pounds or more, one of heavier avrs!!

Much heavier then the
Tower speaker currently ontop of subwoofer
Free the reptile aliens

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It’s 40 pounds or more, one of heavier avrs!!

Much heavier then the
Tower speaker currently ontop of subwoofer
Free the reptile aliens
How about the sub cabinet? Does it "crawl" or do the feet you have keep it in place? Still may not be the best place, but may not do too much harm. No other way to place things?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sub is stable on a diy riser . It won’t be moving anywhere. The tower that sits ontop has never fell off or moved .
I know the receiver is too heavy to just fall off, I’m asking if the vibrations from sitting up there will hurt the amplifier? Or no
I mean subs have plate amps that vibrate always .

Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hah! There might be less vibration on top of the cabinet than a few feet away!

randomperson

randomperson

Enthusiast
You might be able to get away with the amp on the subwoofer as long as you have amp on something to dampen vibrations (like thick rubber feet)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You might be able to get away with the amp on the subwoofer as long as you have amp on something to dampen vibrations (like thick rubber feet)
The onkyo has those but I can try and use multiple levels or layers of carpet to desperate the sub from the amplifier.
Running out space in bedroom this is to save space . If it’s dangerous to the amplifier then forget it I need to find somewhere else to place it .

Free the reptile aliens

randomperson

randomperson

Enthusiast
The onkyo has those but I can try and use multiple levels or layers of carpet to desperate the sub from the amplifier.
Running out space in bedroom this is to save space z

Free the reptile aliens
Putting multiple layers of carpet would be a good idea, but make sure the amp has space under it for cooling

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Putting multiple layers of carpet would be a good idea, but make sure the amp has space under it for cooling
You ever set a amplifier for surround ontop a sub ?
Wouldn’t carpet be good And few layers for it? I have a little pc riser stand used for monitors I can set it on .

Free the reptile aliens

randomperson

randomperson

Enthusiast
No I have not but I have seen other people set an amp on top of a ultimax 15. But the idea of the PC riser stand is a good idea. It might be better or equal to carpet.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Setting electronics on carpet doesn't sound like a good idea...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
No I have not but I have seen other people set an amp on top of a ultimax 15. But the idea of the PC riser stand is a good idea. It might be better or equal to carpet.
WOUDO WOULD you need carpeting between the pc riser ,? And the sub

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis