Using an old Receiver as a preamp

M

Mikedrade

Audiophyte
It’s been years since I’ve dabbled into the receiver world. First question is what pros does a preamp provide?
i just upgraded my old Denon 3805 and bought the new Denon 3700. The old receiver was a powerhouse in watts and sound, but was outdated with the lack of HDMI and all the tech that comes with it. Would it makes sense to use my old receiver as a pre amp? And can I?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I believe you can use the x3700 as a processor and use it’s pre outs into the 3805’s EXT IN inputs to use it’s amps. So, you could power 7 channels with the 3805 and 4 with the x3700 or 9 with x3700 and 2 with the 3805 and process a total of 11 channels for a 7.2.4 system. Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong about anything but you can make use of the 3805.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The preamp has nothing to do it it being a powerhouse- you would be using its power amp, if you use the 3700 as the pre/pro.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
You can’t use the old AVR as a pre amp, because the pre-amp section is where all the HDMI and other “tech” resides. It’s the new AVR that has the updated stuff you wanted.

As @Trebdp83 noted, if you feel the old 3805 had better amplifiers than the new 3700, then use the 3805 as a multichannel amplifier. Just connect the 3700’s pre-amp outputs to the 3805’s EXT In jacks, and connect your speakers to the 3805. Make sure ALL processing in the 3805 is bypassed – EQ, crossovers, delay, Night Cinema, etc.; you want the 3700 doing all that now.

FWIW, I’m currently doing the same thing in my system. My old AVR is a 65 lb. beast that can run 4-ohm speakers, but it doesn’t have HDMI. So I’m using it as an amplifier.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If using the 3805 as an amp, you set the 3805 to the EXT. IN input. It will disable all processing and simply power speakers connected to the corresponding channels. The X3700 will handle all processing of the audio.
3B207C1B-C01F-4553-8DFA-28C0F9F69324.jpeg

M

Mikedrade

Audiophyte
It’s been years since I’ve dabbled into the receiver world. First question is what pros does a preamp provide?
i just upgraded my old Denon 3805 and bought the new Denon 3700. The old receiver was a powerhouse in watts and sound, but was outdated with the lack of HDMI and all the tech that comes with it. Would it makes sense to use my old receiver as a pre amp? And can I?
I meant to say use my old denon as a power amp and the denon 3700 will be the preamp.

M

Mikedrade

Audiophyte
If using the 3805 as an amp, you set the 3805 to the EXT. IN input. It will disable all processing and simply power speakers connected to the corresponding channels. The X3700 will handle all processing of the audio. View attachment 43608
What volume setting should I set the old denon receiver?
Will any of this affect the Audysey setup on the 2700

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You'll need to rerun Audyssey if you use your old avr as amp with the 3700 (just like you would with any other external amp on the 3700, to account for gain differences). I'd probably set volume close to reference on the old unit (0/82 depending on volume scale in use and I'd run a full reset on it as well), maybe a bit below that, believe the preouts on the 3700 have been tested fairly clean at such level.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis