Using a Yamaha Aventage 3070 as a preamp

E

Elio Concepcion

Audiophyte
Hi all,

Was hoping I could get some advice. I purchased a Yamaha 3070 last year as an upgrade to my 3020. I love it. It's an awesome receiver. I was shopping around for a 2 channel amp to go the full 7.2.4 Atmos a few weeks ago and I stopped by my local Best Buy Magnolia to see what they had. They had an open box Yamaha MXA 5000 amp, open box, and the manager gave me a price I couldn't refuse. Like an INSANE price. SO I had to get it. So now here's the question: Should I use the 3070 as my preamp or should I sell it and get the Yamaha 5100 preamp. Is there any benefit to the 5100 as far as signal processing, DACS, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Elio

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi all,

Was hoping I could get some advice. I purchased a Yamaha 3070 last year as an upgrade to my 3020. I love it. It's an awesome receiver. I was shopping around for a 2 channel amp to go the full 7.2.4 Atmos a few weeks ago and I stopped by my local Best Buy Magnolia to see what they had. They had an open box Yamaha MXA 5000 amp, open box, and the manager gave me a price I couldn't refuse. Like an INSANE price. SO I had to get it. So now here's the question: Should I use the 3070 as my preamp or should I sell it and get the Yamaha 5100 preamp. Is there any benefit to the 5100 as far as signal processing, DACS, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Elio
I think your original plan of just adding a two channel, or even 3,5 amp would have been a better way. It would have a little better specs, and balanced inputs that you may not use. Obviously, if the price you couldn't refuse was <$1,000-$1,200 then it is a different story.

Upgrading to the CX5100 make sense but won't give you audible benefits so unless you can sell the 3070 for more than you will pay for the CX5100, I don't see any point. I have a Marantz prepro, a flag ship model at the time, and wish I had stayed with the AVR+a 2/3 channel amp route and not wasted my hard earned money.

Last edited:
E

Elio Concepcion

Audiophyte
I think your original plan of just adding a two channel, or even 3,5 amp would have been a better way. It would have a little better specs, and balanced inputs that you may not use. Obviously, if the price you couldn't refuse was <$1,000-$1,200 then it is a different story.

Upgrading to the CX5100 make sense but won't give you audible benefits so unless you can sell for 3070 for more than you will pay for the CX5100, I don't see any point. I have a Marantz prepro, a flag ship model at the time, and wish I had stayed with the AVR+a 2/3 channel amp route and not wasted my hard earned money.
Yeah I got it for 800 dollars. Oh and the MXA 5000 does have balanced inputs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I got it for 800 dollars. Oh and the MXA 5000 does have balanced inputs.
That's a good deal if it is open box but brand new with fully warranty. Unless you have long interconnects, say >15 ft, it is better to stick with RCAs

E

Elio Concepcion

Audiophyte
That's a good deal if it is open box but brand new with fully warranty. Unless you have long interconnects, say >15 ft, it is better to stick with RCAs
I know right? lol. I'm going to use 1.5 foot interconnects.The devices are one shelf apart. So should I use all 11 channels on the amp or split the load between the two? Oh and yeah open box, full warranty

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I know right? lol. I'm going to use 1.5 foot interconnects.The devices are one shelf apart. So should I use all 11 channels on the amp or split the load between the two? Oh and yeah open box, full warranty
If the choice is between a 3070 or CX-A5100 and price is similar, I'd go CX-A5100. It has some upgrades to the preamp outputs and balanced connections to match your MX-A5000 amp. See my review to learn more.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-aventage-cx-a5100-preamp-processor-preview

E

Elio Concepcion

Audiophyte
If the choice is between a 3070 or CX-A5100 and price is similar, I'd go CX-A5100. It has some upgrades to the preamp outputs and balanced connections to match your MX-A5000 amp. See my review to learn more.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-aventage-cx-a5100-preamp-processor-preview
Hi Gene,

Thanks for weighing in. I really appreciate your reviews and this site. It's my go to website every am to see what's going on in the av world.

The thing is I bought the 3070 last year so I'd have to sell it to get the 5100. I got the amp cause I felt the price was too insane to pass up. Do you think the audio quality jump would justify the hassle of selling the 3070? I have definitive technology 8040 towers and 8040 bipolar surrounds all around. I'm using def tech pro monitor 1000s for the atmos height speakers attached to the front and rear walls at ceiling height angled down to the seating area. I watched your review for the 5100 and thought maybe I'd drive the main, center and surrounds with the 5000 and the atmos and side surrounds with the 3070.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Elio

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi Gene,

Thanks for weighing in. I really appreciate your reviews and this site. It's my go to website every am to see what's going on in the av world.

The thing is I bought the 3070 last year so I'd have to sell it to get the 5100. I got the amp cause I felt the price was too insane to pass up. Do you think the audio quality jump would justify the hassle of selling the 3070? I have definitive technology 8040 towers and 8040 bipolar surrounds all around. I'm using def tech pro monitor 1000s for the atmos height speakers attached to the front and rear walls at ceiling height angled down to the seating area. I watched your review for the 5100 and thought maybe I'd drive the main, center and surrounds with the 5000 and the atmos and side surrounds with the 3070.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Elio
In that case, keep the 3070. Use the internal amps of it to power your Atmos channels and other zones and the MXA-5000 for the other channels. Either way you have plenty of power for that system.

E

Elio Concepcion

Audiophyte
In that case, keep the 3070. Use the internal amps of it to power your Atmos channels and other zones and the MXA-5000 for the other channels. Either way you have plenty of power for that system.
Thanks again. My upstairs neighbors will hate me .

E

G

GT Banna

Audiophyte
Hello All, I am a long time subscriber to the Audioholics YT channel but Newbie here on the forum. I am currently using the 3070 to power only the surround left and right as well as the front and rear heights for atmos in a 7.3.4 configuration. Love the sound for movies as well as listening to music but I am always bewildered by the fact that Yamaha has not perfected its technology to allow for applying one's own screen saver or to allow for the assignment of audio channels to specific av channels. For example, my turntable is connected to the xlr audio in (via Parasound XRM phonostage ) so if listening to vinyl, I am stuck with watching Yamaha's unappealing screen saver as my TV has to remain on to preserve ARC connectivity. Any thoughts?
Here is a video of my setup...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello All, I am a long time subscriber to the Audioholics YT channel but Newbie here on the forum. I am currently using the 3070 to power only the surround left and right as well as the front and rear heights for atmos in a 7.3.4 configuration. Love the sound for movies as well as listening to music but I am always bewildered by the fact that Yamaha has not perfected its technology to allow for applying one's own screen saver or to allow for the assignment of audio channels to specific av channels. For example, my turntable is connected to the xlr audio in (via Parasound XRM phonostage ) so if listening to vinyl, I am stuck with watching Yamaha's unappealing screen saver as my TV has to remain on to preserve ARC connectivity. Any thoughts?
Here is a video of my setup...
Why would using a turntable have anything to do with ARC or using a tv?

G

GT Banna

Audiophyte
Just to clarify, the issue is specifically not with using a turntable but rather with the fact that the TV has to be kept on while listening to records and the av receiver does not allow for watching a video source or even a screensaver when utilizing the receiver's xlr inputs. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just to clarify, the issue is specifically not with using a turntable but rather with the fact that the TV has to be kept on while listening to records and the av receiver does not allow for watching a video source or even a screensaver when utilizing the receiver's xlr inputs. Thanks.
That still doesn't make much sense. An XLR input is just audio, should have nothing to do with ARC even if using the tv for a separate video/screensaver if you want something on screen while playing vinyl. Off to look at your manual regarding XLR input....

G

GT Banna

Audiophyte
Ok, this has to do with user preference. All I'd like to communicate is that the AV receiver's technology could be further improved to allow for audio input to specific av inputs. If you are familiar with the 3070 you'll notice that this can be done with RCA via the options button on the remote but not with xlr. Moreover I have spoken to Yamaha 2nd level tech support who understood the issue but stated that specific input assignment cannot be done at this time altho possible via a future upgrade in software.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, this has to do with user preference. All I'd like to communicate is that the AV receiver's technology could be further improved to allow for audio input to specific av inputs. If you are familiar with the 3070 you'll notice that this can be done with RCA via the options button on the remote but not with xlr. Moreover I have spoken to Yamaha 2nd level tech support who understood the issue but stated that specific input assignment cannot be done at this time altho possible via a future upgrade in software.
Ah, that is different from what you originally posted and expanded upon. Has nothing to do with ARC at all. You want video option for the XLR input which is not assignable in your avr (and you've verified why).....why not instead use another input and get your video with your vinyl playing? Or just use the phono stage on the 3070?

G

GT Banna

Audiophyte
Ah, now you get it!! The simple answer to the question is that the Parasound phonostage is so much more better than the Yamaha phono stage and listening to vinyl via the xlr connection is brilliantly rewarding. Just wish I could watch the game on tv while doing so

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, now you get it!! The simple answer to the question is that the Parasound phonostage is so much more better than the Yamaha phono stage and listening to vinyl via the xlr connection is brilliantly rewarding. Just wish I could watch the game on tv while doing so
Rather you explained your issue better rather than confuse it with non-relevant issues now :) . If the music is so brilliant why watch a game with it? :) Sorry if your unit is restrictive on the xlr input....altho maybe that's a restriction in your unit for any analog input? Hard to know....but think my Denon also restricts mixing analog and digital inputs for the video select option....

G

GT Banna

Audiophyte
TheYamaha's AV inputs 1 thru 4 allows for switching sound from analog, coax and hdmi. But not for xlr. Not sure if it is the same with Denon. As for watching TV without sound while listening to music. That's a personal preference. We love to watch sports. Can't see why that would be an issue. I can use my eyes while still enjoying great sound.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
TheYamaha's AV inputs 1 thru 4 allows for switching sound from analog, coax and hdmi. But not for xlr. Not sure if it is the same with Denon. As for watching TV without sound while listening to music. That's a personal preference. We love to watch sports. Can't see why that would be an issue. I can use my eyes while still enjoying great sound.
You can just use a good XLR to RCA cable, keep the cable short and you won't lose any sound quality. Denon/Marantz AVRs don't have XLR inputs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis