Using a AV Receiver without remote/TV screen

Ed Belize

Ed Belize

Enthusiast
Hello everyone.

My goal is to be able to enjoy the use of several old speakers i had accumulated in time and listen music and movies from laptop / USB / bluetooth...

I'm totally new in the subject of AV receivers and did not realize that I would need a screen to operate a newly purchased used Yamaha RX-A710 sold on eBay without remote.
I thought that may be I would be able to set up the network and use the app on android or a PC with browser and control this complexe machine without having to buy a remote and screen.

I guess, I was wrong !

So now I understand I will need to borrow a screen and i might be able to do the minimal setup to use the Yamaha AV controller app to have further control of the RX-A710 and be able to use the network and browser afterward.

Is that correct.

Thank you for reading and for help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely more designed for use with both a remote and a tv.....but some you can even just use the front panel controls too (not familar with the Yamaha's). You can probably source a remote easily enough if you want (I generally operate my avr even for just music with a remote). I'd think the app should do what you want, tho not that familiar with Yamaha avrs at all....but maybe @Trebdp83 would be so kind....

Good luck!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look for a basic universal remote if you can't find an OEM one, or an App as mentioned. Front menu can be done with many AVRs, but it is often cumbersome to do from there.

Ed Belize

Ed Belize

Enthusiast
Thank you ! Yes I, think the remote is needed. The app would need on step further to setup, with remote...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you ! Yes I, think the remote is needed. The app would need on step further to setup, with remote...
I think you need a screen also. It would be hard to impossible so set up an AVR properly without a screen.

I can't conceive that it is a pleasurable experience to watch a movie on a laptop and have the speakers distant. I also do not understand why having older speakers has any relationship to whether you have a screen or not. I am certain the the use of older speakers does not preclude the use of a screen. Personally I have got to the point that I don't think I would ever assemble any system that did not have a screen at this time. I have three systems and all of them have screens. I have not had a system without a screen since 2005.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
With the receiver plugged into your network, try typing in its IP address into a browser. It may bring up a basic settings screen. It may be too old a model to support a fully featured web setup, but you can see if it does so by typing in 192.168.xx.xxx/setup/

highfigh

highfigh

Hello everyone.

My goal is to be able to enjoy the use of several old speakers i had accumulated in time and listen music and movies from laptop / USB / bluetooth...

I'm totally new in the subject of AV receivers and did not realize that I would need a screen to operate a newly purchased used Yamaha RX-A710 sold on eBay without remote.
I thought that may be I would be able to set up the network and use the app on android or a PC with browser and control this complexe machine without having to buy a remote and screen.

I guess, I was wrong !

So now I understand I will need to borrow a screen and i might be able to do the minimal setup to use the Yamaha AV controller app to have further control of the RX-A710 and be able to use the network and browser afterward.

Is that correct.

Thank you for reading and for help.
As Treb posted, set the AVR's IP address, then fire up your computer. Open the browser and type the IP address, then click Go. The GUI will appear and you'll have more/better control over the AVR. You'll see buttons for setup in the GIU, but if you want to go directly to setup, use the address he posted with /setup at the end.

highfigh

highfigh

I think you need a screen also. It would be hard to impossible so set up an AVR properly without a screen.

I can't conceive that it is a pleasurable experience to watch a movie on a laptop and have the speakers distant. I also do not understand why having older speakers has any relationship to whether you have a screen or not. I am certain the the use of older speakers does not preclude the use of a screen. Personally I have got to the point that I don't think I would ever assemble any system that did not have a screen at this time. I have three systems and all of them have screens. I have not had a system without a screen since 2005.
The Yamaha AVRs aren't designed to be set up fully by using the remote. They really prefer that trained installers set them up, partially because many know the tips & tricks, many users will never read the manual and because they already receive too many calls for tech support.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis