Usher Audio S-520 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Coheednme13

Coheednme13

Audioholic
Floorstanding vs. Bookshelves

Thanks for both of the replies. They both gave me great info. I really appreciate you guys taking your time out to answer me, it really helped. I'll have to check out the v-602. What room size, in cubic feet, do you think is the threshold between bookshelves being adequate and needing to step up to floorstanding?

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Interesting addendum on the woofer. Thanks for the follow-up.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Great follow up!

Thanks to Audioholics for this very informative follow up!

This is important infomation to know when considering a purchase. (the right tool for the right job)

SBF1

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I'm happy to see the updated review myself. I think that it's important to test the speakers as hard as you can ; list as many results as you can ; then let the people reading take what they can from the review.

As far as methodology goes listening to music [native 2.0 sources] is a very good way to test a pair of speakers. IMHO you should listen to sources that are mastered in the specific way that you are testing the speakers. In this case if you have a pair of speakers to review listening to native 2.0 sources is a very good idea.

What I would wish to see sometime in the future is some sort of HT bookshelf shootout or reviews in at least a 2.1 environment so I could get a better idea of how they'd perform in an environment more similar to what I use. That's the bad thing about limited resources though ... you have to do your best with what you have.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I've been listening to my pair, in glorious wife hating YELLOW, for a few weeks and they're great so far.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I've been listening to my pair, in glorious wife hating YELLOW, for a few weeks and they're great so far.

Mark
Polk Audio CS
Have you been using them for HT with bass management? How do they work there?

J

johsti

Audioholic
Have you been using them for HT with bass management? How do they work there?
They work very well paired with a sub and bass management. I'm finding it very difficult to bottom out the driver, but I'll keep trying;)

R

RuSsMaN

Enthusiast
Mark is using them in a hardcore 2ch setup. I got a pair in Silver, I chose a color that I didn't want, just to force myself to try something different. The fit and finish is outstanding.

I've only had mine running for about 20 hours so far, so I'll reserve commenting on the sound until they have a few more hours on them. I've got them running in a dedicated 2ch listening room, and I'm sure I'll end up complimenting the low end with a pair of stereo subs. I just haven't decided what I want to 'try' on that front yet.

Cheers,
Russ

D

DancesWithBeers

Audiophyte
s-520 versus v-601 in sub-sat system

i'm in the process of scaling down my audio system due to moving to a smaller space.

i'm considering trading my Von Schweikert VR-2s and getting either the s520s or the v-601s. the reviews i've seen for the v-601s were not anywhere near as good as for the s520, so i'm leaning towards the 520s.

have not listented to either of these yet, so ultimately that will be the deciding factor, but in general, does anyone have experience on this before I go to the local guy with a stack of CDs?

obviously the difference in price between the two would mandate looking at other 700-dollar range monitors.

I will probably use these with a tube amp and a powered sub.
thanks in advance for the thoughts.

M

mziegler

Audioholic
I have heard both speakers, but not in the same listening session. Both times, however, I heard them with the Ascend 340SE.

I think the V-601 is quite superior, but it is almost twice the price. It goes lower, plays louder (we were able to bottom out the 520).

The 520s are quite a bit smaller, and may fit into your scaled-down life.

In either price range, of course, there are many worth listening to.

J

johsti

Audioholic
I've listened to the 601 and the S-520 back to back and preferred the 520. The 601 plays lower and sounds bigger, but there is something special about the S-520, especially when you consider the price. I plan on auditioning some more Usher speakers this weekend, so I'll see if I feel the same way. Bottoming out the S-520 is not an issue with a sub and bass management. It all depends on how you intend to use them.

M

mziegler

Audioholic
That's reasonable enough.

I do thnk Usher is about the best B & M value.

T

tsteves

Junior Audioholic
This was a very nice review. It seems weird when Tom likes things... My one concern is the imaging. It seems like it should be pretty easy to get imaging from a small, mini monitor sized speaker with small drivers. The tweeter seems like it is a bit recessed in the picture. Shouldn't this make it more directional at high frequencies? Seems like diffraction or lack of phase coherence could be culprits too? Yeah, I know it's nit picking on such a nice deal, but just wondering if they could improve it by losing the tweeter grill and that plate that looks like it holds it in place?

J

joebobbiggs

Audiophyte
I guess they are retreading reviews here. This $400 USHER if it is still $400 looks to be a steal. Will never understand folks comparing apples to oranges as in this forum for this speaker. Comparing a rear ported D'appolito config (the Ascend 340) to a true (front ported) bookshelf speaker is ridiculous. My Aerial 7b's sound better as well...

Matt34

Matt34

I guess they are retreading reviews here. This $400 USHER if it is still $400 looks to be a steal. Will never understand folks comparing apples to oranges as in this forum for this speaker. Comparing a rear ported D'appolito config (the Ascend 340) to a true (front ported) bookshelf speaker is ridiculous. My Aerial 7b's sound better as well...
Retreading reveiws?

Yes they are still 400

The acsend and usher are comparable in price, of course people are going to make comparisons.

Glad YOU like the Aerials, I've heard they are a great speaker.

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
I think the Ushers are $479 now, but still may be the best bang for buck speaker out there. They come up on the used market fairly often for <$325. Hard to beat that.

Matt34

Matt34

I think the Ushers are $479 now, but still may be the best bang for buck speaker out there. They come up on the used market fairly often for <$325. Hard to beat that.
The audioholics store has them for $400 with free shipping.

K

kaiser_soze

Audioholic Intern
What would happen if the woofer didn't bottom out?

"My personal opinion here is to design a bookshelf speaker that won’t bottom out as easily, allowing it to be played at louder SPL levels, but ultimately producing less low end bass extension. The user can than bass manage the speakers and mate them with a good subwoofer or two to get the full range sound without stressing the system's woofers, thus preserving dynamic range and vocal clarity."

This implies that if the speaker with its bass extension is similarly combined with a subwoofer, that full range sound without stressing the woofers cannot similarly be achieved, and that dynamic range and vocal clarity cannot similarly be achieved. This does not make a whit of sense to me.

It seems to me that with a small speaker of this size and its itty-bitty woofer, that it is manifest that there will be consequences if it extends down below a couple hundred Hz. My intuitive expectation is that the woofer will either bottom out or else exhibit very high levels of harmonic distortion starting at SPL much lower than the level at which the woofer bottoms out. The question becomes whether you design the speaker so that its natural response curve rolls off before it gets into deep bass, vs. design it so that it will extend into deep bass at low levels but exhibit high levels of distortion when played at moderate levels, or design it so that it will extend into deep bass at low levels and assume that owners that want to turn it up to eleven are familiar with the operation of the bass control on the amplifier or the receiver. Evidently, Gene has issues with tone controls, and feels that rather than make it necessary for him to turn down the bass when he wants to crank it up to eleven, the manufacturer of the speaker should design it so that the response curve rolls before it gets into deep bass, even when played at low and moderate SPL.

Basically, it was turned up way high, and instead of exhibiting a steady increase in harmonic distortion, it continued to behave in a linear manner up until it bottomed out, and this is as bad thing?? Perhaps the reason why it is looked at this way, by the person having this complaint, is partly that they don't actually bother to take measurements of distortion and study how those measurements interact with other factors.

Many speakers do not bottom out no matter how high they are played, but you have to ask why this is so. If the force applied to the voice coil increases linearly, should not the displacement of the coil increase linearly as well? If it does not, then doesn't this imply non-linear distortion? In most speakers, one or both of two things will happen to prevent the coil from reaching the hard limit of its travel. In the ideal, the surround and the spider behave as ideal springs (and dampers), which means that there is a linear relationship between displacement and force. In reality, as they are stretched to their limits, the ratio of force to displacement increases, i.e., doubling the force no longer doubles the displacement. Additionally, and contrary to what I often read, overhung voice coils do not ever actually overhang the gap, because of all the stray flux. This is especially true when the magnet assembly is joined to a basket made of stamped ferromagnetic steel. The strength of the magnetic field experienced by the voice coil diminishes as it moves away from the midpoint of the gap, and as it does, the ratio of force to displacement changes. The electromagnetic force weakens as the coil displacement increases, the effect of which is equivalent to the opposing force (due to the surround and spider) increasing in a non-linear manner as the displacement increases.

These non-linear effects conspire. The net effect is that instead of the driver hitting a hard bottom, it hits a soft bottom, and it starts to do this long before the hard bottom would otherwise be felt. In practice, it is these distortion-inducing effects, and not the intentional application of high-pass filtering, that prevents most speakers from bottoming out. The reason they do not bottom out, in other words, is because they are designed in a way such that the distortion increases gradually from a moderate SPL and increases more rapidly than the SPL. It is analogous to "soft-clipping" circuits, which some people like. You can design an amplifier so that it will exhibit "soft clipping", but the price paid is invariably that the level of non-linear distortion will increase dramatically and before the hard clipping level would otherwise be reached. It is a dumb idea, and a better idea is to put idiot lights on the front of the amp so that audiophiles who actually are deaf because they always play stuff too loud can tell when the amp is clipping. By analogy, it makes sense to think of the woofer bottoming as an idiot light of a similar sort. The alternative would be to alter the driver so that it is inherently inferior and so that instead of bottoming out, it exhibits distortion that a good many audiophiles are evidently incapable of hearing. A loudspeaker review that does not at least attempt to measure flatness of frequency response and non-linear distortion is about as useful as human excrement, and the reason, for the lack of meaningful insight into the reported behavior of this woofer, is due in no small measure to the fact that no meaningful testing of any sort was done with this speaker. All they actually did was open it up and take some pictures, and offer some purely subjective and inherently worthless opinions on the quality of its sound. Well, given that they are selling these speakers and that they represent themselves as providing a greater service (which they do), I suppose that's the least they could do for us.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis